Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    They don't but buying say 100+ would. Probably be quite a few more just from what i've seen from certain parts. The ceiling in the greathall would cost a fortune to make however unless you just wanted it as glass.
    You can get a flat panel for around 100 dollars and have it be a decent painting size. So thats 100,000 for 100. I'm sure you can negotiate the price so you aren't paying retail for them as well. While yes 100,000 dollars is "a lot" it isn't that much compared to the project being discussed. If you are building the castle, 250 flat panels at 100 dollars each won't seem alot to you.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    The ceiling in the greathall would be a must-have, thinking about the TVs too, honestly if you build the castle I'd hope you have enough money leftover for the TV's.

Lets say the castle cost 500m (Just ballpark w.e) The tvs would only cost 750,000 at ~150 TVs and the cost of 5k each (which is honestly probably overkill)
    http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Hogwarts_Castle shoulda probably linked that earlier.

the ceiling in the greathall would be some sort of a huge ass money sink, the only way to make it woudl be something like cameras constantly capturing the night sky then relaying it to literally a huge tv sort of thing moutned into the ceiling of the great hall.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 12:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You can get a flat panel for around 100 dollars and have it be a decent painting size. So thats 100,000 for 100. I'm sure you can negotiate the price so you aren't paying retail for them as well. While yes 100,000 dollars is "a lot" it isn't that much compared to the project being discussed. If you are building the castle, 250 flat panels at 100 dollars each won't seem alot to you.
    Course it won't i have no clue obviously how many statues/pictures/things of that matter are in the place. I just know from what i've seen the hallway leading up to gryffindor tower is literally covered in them as is much of the castle, not to mention that there are life sized + statues of knights everywhere around the building. I just feel like if people are going to add things up, stuff would get significantl more expensive as they go on. and i mean if you're going to choose to build it legitimately with like full slabs of granite that are carved into perfect shapes as opposed to just making a foundation and making it look like a castle, the former would be quite a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-17 at 12:01 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Hogwarts_Castle shoulda probably linked that earlier.

the ceiling in the greathall would be some sort of a huge ass money sink, the only way to make it woudl be something like cameras constantly capturing the night sky then relaying it to literally a huge tv sort of thing moutned into the ceiling of the great hall.
    Projectors or even a modified planetarium. The only hard part with the ceiling would be replicating the storms. You can do the visual aspects easy enough with just the video feed of outside, but getting the 3d aspects would be a bit harder.

Statues and suits of armor really don't cost that much either. Suits of armor easily less then a thousand each http://www.medievalware.com/Suits-of-Armour-s/24.htm. The statues a couple thousand at most.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Over a billion dollars easily, not only is it sitting on arguably what would be some of the absolute most expensive land, i mean let's be serious it's on a lake that i assume opens into the ocean in some way and then is surrounded by a huge forest, but you're talking about a castle that very easily accomodates several hundred students and teachers. And the fact that we've maybe seen what 1/10th of the actual castle in the movies, ya we're talking about something that makes windsor castle, something priceless, look small. If you're talking about what is visually shown in the movies it would be alot less, but hogwarts is significantly bigger than most of that, hell the great hall is bigger than most houses in the world.
    You're not building this in Southern California. No way in hell would that thing cost a billion dollars.

Also, it's a movie with Wizards and shit. If you're going to take into account where it's at and all of the little details, I'm pretty sure your ass has to take into account the fact that bitches can build shit with the wave of a stick and saying a few fancy words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    You're not building this in Southern California. No way in hell would that thing cost a billion dollars.

Also, it's a movie with Wizards and shit. If you're going to take into account where it's at and all of the little details, I'm pretty sure your ass has to take into account the fact that bitches can build shit with the wave of a stick and saying a few fancy words.
    if we're gonna build this with magic then it's free (to a point), wtb magikz?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Projectors or even a modified planetarium. The only hard part with the ceiling would be replicating the storms. You can do the visual aspects easy enough with just the video feed of outside, but getting the 3d aspects would be a bit harder.

Statues and suits of armor really don't cost that much either. Suits of armor easily less then a thousand each http://www.medievalware.com/Suits-of-Armour-s/24.htm. The statues a couple thousand at most.
    yea projection technology is amazing nowadays. I'm always shocked all some of the stuff they do at the hockey games I go to :P

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Deleted
    Have fun cleaning that castle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    Hogwarts is in Scotland for those who didn't know

The castle, with some of its "Magical" abilities could be constructed. For somewhere in the billions I'm sure. The moving staircases could be made using mechanics, the moving pictures could be replicated with LCD screens and a "Milo" like computer program. The room of requirement could obviously not be replicated, the main staircase could be replicated, but don't the books describe one of the steps as sticking if you forget to step over it? How could you replicate that? quicksand??

The closest replica I could imagine would be the set of the HP movies, which I don't think anyone knows what the movie company will do with. Most of the artifacts from the movie I would imagine will go to the Harry Potter area of Universal Studios, but the actual physical structures? Would be a shame to see them demolished. Universal Studios also has a "Hogwarts", never having been their myself I don't know how complete it is from the outside, and I think most of the inside of it is a ride.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still think that billions is a little much.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Deleted
    I partially don't need to, live 5 mins walk from Durham castle/cathedral cloisters where some of it was filmed and an hour or so's drive from Alnwick castle where more of it was done /cheer!

Depending where you want to have it, also what the land there costs but tbh i think it really depends between 10 and 150 mio i guess

about my dream ...i wish i can build it as a school,not as a place to visit and go ..a real school ...to teach all kinds of science and spiritual science too...15 years of study shall be enough...so that the student will be genius in everything when he leaves it...ofcourse they must stay except in holidays...and guess what...there is a land ,it's available and very close to a lake ,like the movie...but the problem is i don't have the money to invest ...and it's in the south of iraq...so sad i don't have the money to do it there...the place is like heaven...

I would say half a billion, but some of the structures in Hogwarts are impossible to built due to the fact that in the real world there are things like gravity and stuff. Plus, what the hell im I going to do with a castle of that size?

Yes, the one they built at Universal Orlando was around $200 million but I think that was for the all the attractions. All depends on how big you want to make the castle though. Apparently, they are going to start building a second attraction at Universal in California.

Quidditch there are people who do play it in real life sans flying of course. I think there maybe even a league. Not sure how the snitch part works.

OAC stood for Ontario Academic Credit. For the most part it was basically Grade 13 but it was also recognized as basically as first year university level and you could apply them to you university/college so you didn't have to take the same course. I was able to get out of english for instance. OAC has been eliminated though.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    To buy the castle itself would be extremely expensive, the garden alone cost £42 million.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I dont watch the Harry Potter films but that place looks pretty sweet. I'd love to have that as a house. Or even something like the mage school in skyrim.

Deleted
    Alnwick castle is a great place to visit.

Im am also going to have to say over a billion dollars to build it. This home cost over a billion and is not even half the size of Hoggwarts, although im sure Monaco is a wee bit pricy for land lol. http://www.billiondollarhouses.com/images/monaco_9.jpg

Also found this one in the hamptons. Billion dollar home and still only half the size of Hoggwarts http://pagerejo.com/wp-content/uploa...e-Hamptons.jpg

JUST the castle? Well, apart from the cost of land, it would be pretty expensive. That's a very big place (grand hall, classrooms, and dorms to hold what, 200+ students? Plus all the sewers and stuff underneath) and the stonework and scultures would be pretty expensive. No, it would not cost a billion dollars. But well over a $100 million I could see.