Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Magisleeper View Post
    Tell this to the college graduates working the same job they had in high school except now with huge student loans due to a bad economy.
    They took a risk taking out a huge loan for a degree without a guarantee of employment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the1seth View Post
    To be fair, those police were probably just douchebags. 9/10 places, that would never happen.

So the American Dream is to make more money?
    I never actually saw a definition for it, but that's what it is, according to the title of this thread and the video accompanying it. I thought that was a pretty universal dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Magisleeper View Post
    Tell this to the college graduates working the same job they had in high school except now with huge student loans due to a bad economy.
    Get a degree you can actually do something with then not do what half the people I knew did and get a degree in communications might as well get one on fast food while your at it (rolls eyes).

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Glow View Post
    Of course the american dream isn't dead. 100 years ago, immigrants would come through Ellis Island with little-to-no education, but they had DRIVE and DESIRE. They would set up a small business and pour 80 hour weeks into it. Or they'd work two jobs. And they'd save money instead buying all the latest fashions and trends. And they would accumulate wealth and send their kids to college.

Fast forward to today. You can STILL get WAY ahead by working two jobs and cutting back.

I know someone who lives in a place that costs about $500. He doesn't have a car. He works 2 jobs. His take-home pay is about $2300/month, and he spends about $800 month. He's saving 18k/year. Do that for 5 years, and he's got 90k. Now he can go get a college degree, or invest it, or start his own business.

Some people I know work as a waiter and make ridiculous tips. Just a night shift 4 nights a week yields 2500/month. Add a second job and they could earn 4k/month. Rent a $500 room for 6 years, and no car, and they have a quarter of a million.

I don't think people understand the opportunities out there. They've always been there. You just gotta want it.
    And how many failed? Countless.
    How many died? Many.
    How many can work their backs off until they crack just to get better then everyone else in life? Few.

So does it mean that if someone is incapable of these feats, that they are lazy and incapable, even useless?

Please drop the "If there is a will there is a way!"-attitude, because it's a bunch of bull. This rubbish about just needing to think positively sickens me, and is why so many people are depressed and fail in life, simply because they think they're not happy enough or good enough.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 06:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by the1seth View Post
    There's been a topic on that subject. The authorities were definetly in the right, because it was all done by the parents, only the kids were standing there selling it. You need permits to hand out food in public or private areas, so what you do and the stuff you give people can be regulated incase what you dispense happens to make someone sick or even worse kill someone.
    So drop the moral rubbish about "poor kids". Even normal lemonade stands are against the law, they just let stuff like that go because it's just outside their house.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 06:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    So what's the point of all the wealth redistribution then? To make sure some people don't escape from the pack with too much wealth?
    To create greater economical equality, which equals to decentralatization of power. Money is power after all.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2011-07-17 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    And how many failed? Countless.
    How many died? Many.
    How many can work their backs off until they crack just to get better then everyone else in life? Few.

So does it mean that if someone is incapable of these feats, that they are lazy and incapable, even useless?

Please drop the "If there is a will there is a way!"-attitude, because it's a bunch of bull. This rubbish about just needing to think positively sickens me, and is why so many people are depressed and fail in life, simply because they think they're not happy enough or good enough.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 06:12 AM ----------

There's been a topic on that subject. The authorities were definetly in the right, because it was all done by the parents, only the kids were standing there selling it. You need permits to hand out food in public or private areas, so what you do and the stuff you give people can be regulated incase what you dispense happens to make someone sick or even worse kill someone.
    So drop the moral rubbish about "poor kids". Even normal lemonade stands are against the law, they just let stuff like that go because it's just outside their house.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 06:14 AM ----------

To create greater economical equality, which equals to decentralatization of power. Money is power after all.
    Well clearly no the whole attitude thing would not work for you a utter pessimist but eh I group in a downtown shit hole and did alright now so I take my experience and throw your comment out window.

"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

~George Carlin

R.I.P.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    "It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

~George Carlin
    Made me chuckle a bit :"(

The Tera is great game which i love the tera gold

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lovewow View Post
    The Tera is great game which i love the tera gold
    The Tera thread is actually here good sir:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/863135-Tera-Online

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not believe it ever existed.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I do not believe it ever existed.
    Both my parents were born poor, and they now together earn over $300,000 a year. The idea that you can make a better life for yourself is very real.

So many pessimists in this thread. I guess when you have time to browse an MMO forum, you aren't really going for the American Dream in the first place.

Why do people call it the American Dream, anyway? The idea's not foreign to pretty much anyone, wanting to make a better life for one's self.

Er, not trying to spark a debate, just curious about where the American "tinge" in the idea is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthalis View Post
    Why do people call it the American Dream, anyway? The idea's not foreign to pretty much anyone, wanting to make a better life for one's self.

Er, not trying to spark a debate, just curious about where the American "tinge" in the idea is.
    It's an old idea, dating back from when immigrants from Europe traveled on boat to America for new opportunity.

Deleted
    Read Of Mice and Men please. You'll get the idea from the story that dreams will always be dreams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    Read Of Mice and Men please. You'll get the idea from the story that dreams will always be dreams.
    Its not even slightly true. With a little luck and a lot of determination, people can and have made their dreams come true. Its not rare, either.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Its not even slightly true. With a little luck and a lot of determination, people can and have made their dreams come true. Its not rare, either.
    doubt that.

dont think it ever existed in the first place either , it's just a hollow phrase to keep people dreaming.

what does it say about all those that failed ?? ( they are far more numerous than the ones that do " make it " )
    that they didnt want it bad enough ?
    i very much doubt that.