The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Adding replay value to MMOs

Something I have been thinking about lately while playing WoW is what could be added to it and other MMOs to keep players entertained. For me the new dungeons and battlegrounds every so months is not cutting it anymore, so I was thinking of some new features that could be added to MMOs that could add to their replay value.

Here are a few that I came up with:
    - Base Building: You would have to gather resources (lumber, stone, gold, etc) in order to create houses/structures, defenses, etc you would be able to take over or destroy other faction bases.
    - Randomized Dungeons: The dungeon map, loot, bosses, and boss mechanics would be completely random. So every time it would be something new and challenging.
    - Armor Customization: Ability to change color and other aspects of armor so you don't look like every other person playing the same class
    - Full Scale World PvP: This would go along with the Base Building. You would be able to take over other faction capital cities and settlements and earn rewards.

What do you think could be added to mix things up?
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-07-16 at 09:16 PM.

Armor customization is in a ton of other games. WoW just hasn't adopted it yet because Blizzard is extremely lazy.

Randomized dungeons would be cool, but very difficult to implement due to the insane amount of variables. You could do it and make it mediocre, but if you wanted to do it right it would take a ridiculous amount of time.

The other two are more sandbox MMO things. Most big MMO's are linear because that's what people want (I know I get overwhelmed by pure sandbox MMO's), and making a game more of a sandbox to promote replayability ect. is time consuming as hell.

Not saying I don't want it though, I'm tired of doing almost the exact same thing each time I level up a character in an MMO : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Armor customization is in a ton of other games. WoW just hasn't adopted it yet because Blizzard is extremely lazy.

Randomized dungeons would be cool, but very difficult to implement due to the insane amount of variables. You could do it and make it mediocre, but if you wanted to do it right it would take a ridiculous amount of time.

The other two are more sandbox MMO things. Most big MMO's are linear because that's what people want (I know I get overwhelmed by pure sandbox MMO's), and making a game more of a sandbox to promote replayability ect. is time consuming as hell.

Not saying I don't want it though, I'm tired of doing almost the exact same thing each time I level up a character in an MMO : /
    There really aren't any sandbox MMORPGs
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.