Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A question of time paradox

I have spontaneously thought of this in the recent past of a whole 4 minutes.

So if one who is 10ish years old goes to the future and meets himself at about 40ish, then would the one at age 40 be able to remember the future up to a point that the past self was in the future?

If the 10 year old is in the future, then that means the 40 year old would have had to travel to the future when he was 10 and then back again. Therefore, once the 10 arrives (let us say he was there for two weeks), the 40 would be able to remember things 2 weeks into the future.

How how he traveled to the future i cannot say, but neither does the grandfather paradox.

Please disregard the current impossibility time travel....
    Last edited by Skelington; 2011-07-17 at 05:56 AM.

fucking !) chars>
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

so wait what? if the ten year old goes to the 40 year old and asks "hey tell about blah blah blah when you were 33" would he remember? Yes. as long as the ten year old goes back and doesn't change anything.
    If the Burning Legion is such a problem, why not just throw water on them? Then they'll just be a Legion
    Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    What is wrong with having a character show up again? Some people are so dumb and will hate on anything blizzard does. Seriously, if you hate it so much that you cant see straight when they show a character a 2nd time, then you should just quit. Also, never read a book. Ever. You will be mad.

That isn't a paradox.

However, I think one of the ideas with time travel is that if it were ever possible to go forward in time, doing so would create a timeline that branches off the original one. That effectively negates most paradoxes.

I hate to break it to you, but time is completely linear. While it may be able to ebb and flow, the actual direction cannot change.

Even in the time-old argument where a man can have a son at age 35, go to space until age 70, then return to earth and have his son be the same age as him is irrelevant. Time moved slower for the father than for the son, but both of them were going in the same direction.

As will always be.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andlát View Post
    so wait what? if the ten year old goes to the 40 year old and asks "hey tell about blah blah blah when you were 33" would he remember? Yes. as long as the ten year old goes back and doesn't change anything.
    No no no. Would the 40 year old be able to remember what happened in the future while the 10 year old stayed, since it was essentially himself that traveled to the future.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 05:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by volescue View Post
    That isn't a paradox.
    Cant remember the future can you? Thus i used paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Cant remember the future can you? Thus i used paradox.
    par·a·dox/ˈparəˌdäks/

Noun: A statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory.

That statement has no logical-sounding premise. You cannot remember things which you have not experienced in one form or another.

Please don't abuse the poor word just because it's FOTM.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

10+ Year Old Account
    No in a sense because it's not possible to travel into the future.

*edit* You could propose a parallel universe where the space has unfolded almost exactly the same but started '30 years' earlier, but then it wouldn't be you you're talking to so.. yeah.. pointless typing this .
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2011-07-17 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    par·a·dox/ˈparəˌdäks/

Noun: A statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory.

That statement has no logical-sounding premise. You cannot remember things which you have not experienced in one form or another.
    So while there is little contribution to what i actually said, and evidently "time travel cant happen" is relevant, my conclusion does sound logically unacceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grandfather paradox is a paradox, talking to yourself isn't.

this is a big misconception about time nowadays almost everyone has.
    i dont blame you guys since most of people are being fooled by that phony physicist Stephen Hawking and his whole gang.
    there is NO SUCH THING AS TIME, it's just a kind of neurological delusion that most people have. if there is no such thing as time, then concept such as time travel is impossible.
    however, every event that has ever happened or will happen are all saved in some way or form. prophets or seers who are able to see the distant past or future because they somehow found a way to 'load'&'replay' the events. it's just like you play wow and frap your pvp ownage and sometime later you load it up and replay it to stroke your epeen once again, but you cant change anything you have recorded in that clip you frap'd.
    i think in the future people might be able to 'load' any events that had happened or will happen and 'replay' it in our 3 dimensional space we are currently living in right now, but to go back and forth in 'time' and change the events is impossible since there is no such thing as 'time'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzrishi View Post
    i dont blame you guys since most of people are being fooled by that phony physicist Stephen Hawking and his whole gang.
    there is NO SUCH THING AS TIME, it's just a kind of neurological delusion that most people have. if there is no such thing as time, then concept such as time travel is impossible.
    however, every event that has ever happened or will happen are all saved in some way or form. prophets or seers who are able to see the distant past or future because they somehow found a way to 'load'&'replay' the events. it's just like you play wow and frap your pvp ownage and sometime later you load it up and replay it to stroke your epeen once again, but you cant change anything you have recorded in that clip you frap'd.
    i think in the future people might be able to 'load' any events that had happened or will happen and 'replay' it in our 3 dimensional space we are currently living in right now, but to go back and forth in 'time' and change the events is impossible since there is no such thing as 'time'.
    Thank ye' for not blaming me, enlightened one.

Quote Originally Posted by silverzrishi View Post
    The formatting and grammar of this post might make you think he's a nut, but he's pretty much right.

Time is just the human experience between one moment and the next. It's just a word we put on an intangible progression of existence.

www.spinatlantic.com

From what I understand your question is "would the 40 yr old be gaining memories from his current time that he experienced while he was 10?" My answer would be yes, however he wouldn't notice them as new he would feel as tho he had them all along.

par·a·dox/ˈparəˌdäks/

Please don't abuse the poor word just because it's FOTM.
    I dont see why youre being so rude.. I can understand his question perfectly... the 10 year old travels forward in time... you keep the kid there for 2 week, hes gonna have knowledge of what happened in those two weeks.. so at age 40 when he meets his younger self again he will know what will transpire for the next two weeks.. but he could also cause a butterfly effect...

read about the guy called 'Nikola Tesla', and pay attention to how he get his brilliant ideas.
    it seems to me that all the ideas he had got were actually not his, but someone in someway loaded them into his brain, and he just simply materialized them. it's pretty obvious that those ideas, machines and devices he 'invented' already existed.
    also read about how Mozart composed some of his music pieces. the musics were already there, in his brain, he didn't 'think' or 'figure out' how to compose them, but they were already there.
    also, read how Friedrich August Kekulé von Stradonitz 'discovered' benzene ring. he could not figure it out, but it seems to me that the knowledge about shape of the benzene ring was given to him in a dream by .......something.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkagial View Post
    I dont see why youre being so rude.. I can understand his question perfectly... the 10 year old travels forward in time... you keep the kid there for 2 week, hes gonna have knowledge of what happened in those two weeks.. so at age 40 when he meets his younger self again he will know what will transpire for the next two weeks.. but he could also cause a butterfly effect...
    I'm not being rude. I'm just giving him the definition for a word he misused and explaining to him why the word was misused.

Maybe the last sentence was a bit satirical, and if I offended anyone, I'm sorry

(Though I do still stand by my point that asking if someone have recollection of an event they have not yet experienced is not a logical premise to base defining a statement as a paradox.)

www.spinatlantic.com

I'm not being rude. I'm just giving him the definition for a word he misused and explaining to him why the word was misused.

Maybe the last sentence was a bit satirical, and if I offended anyone, I'm sorry

(Though I do still stand by my point that asking if someone have recollection of an event they have not yet experienced is not a logical premise to base defining a statement as a paradox.)
    Its rather rude to come into somewhere to call one a fool and how his thought doesnt deserve the insight of others over arguable definitions and circumstances.

No, but the statement could lead to a butterfly effect, which is a Paradox...

Note that the timeline corruption hypothesis is not intended to solve the temporal paradox. It seems to be part of the multiple universes hypothesis, in which a change in the timeline creates a new universe.
    Last edited by Darkagial; 2011-07-17 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    I have spontaneously thought of this in the recent past of a whole 4 minutes.

So if one who is 10ish years old goes to the future and meets himself at about 40ish, then would the one at age 40 be able to remember the future up to a point that the past self was in the future?

If the 10 year old is in the future, then that means the 40 year old would have had to travel to the future when he was 10 and then back again. Therefore, once the 10 arrives (let us say he was there for two weeks), the 40 would be able to remember things 2 weeks into the future.

How how he traveled to the future i cannot say, but neither does the grandfather paradox.

Please disregard the current impossibility time travel....
    there wont be a 40 year old version cause you vanished 30 years ago