Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Activision Responds to MW3 Site Trolling

Basically a few weeks ago a two year old website modernwarfare3.com redirected people who entered the site to Battlefield 3's main website.

"It seems that Activision did not find the parody site, ModernWarfare3.com very funny. The website not only denounces Activision's upcoming game, but also redirects visitors to the website of Modern Warfare 3's biggest competitor, Battlefield 3.

Two days ago Activision filed a complaint with the National Arbitration Forum over the domain name in question.

As reported on joystiq.com" (source: http://www.enterbf3.com)

here's a link to the complaint: http://fusible.com/wp-content/upload...-Complaint.pdf

What are your thoughts on this? I think it was a bad idea and all they are doing are feeding the trolls

Deleted
    lololol activision u make-a me laugh

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting more people to see the parody was definitely the best move Activision could have made.

my thoughts? its fucking funny as all hell.
    listen i really don't care so much about shooters now a days as hand holding as they've gotten so im largely unbiased in that i hate them both and would condemn them both to death if i could, but the reason im finding this funny is largely how much of a douchebag activision has been(not that EA is much better mind you).
    but to see them complaining about something they should of had since 5 years ago instead being used as a joke is just that , a big fucking joke.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    my thoughts? its fucking funny as all hell.
    listen i really don't care so much about shooters now a days as hand holding as they've gotten so im largely unbiased in that i hate them both and would condemn them both to death if i could, but the reason im finding this funny is largely how much of a douchebag activision has been(not that EA is much better mind you).
    but to see them complaining about something they should of had since 5 years ago instead being used as a joke is just that , a big fucking joke.
    Yeah, i agree. It just goes to show that all they care about is the money nowadays

I love how they stated all their awards on page 5.

Deleted
    Troll attempt successful?

Not to be cpt. Obvious, but maybe Activision wants their trademarked name back? >>;

I mean, the modernwarfare3.com stunt is the very definition as to why we have trademark at all: They very decisively took the name of their competitor to confuse and troll the competitor's customers.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-07-17 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by olli576 View Post
    Yeah, i agree. It just goes to show that all they care about is the money nowadays
    not even that they've both canned good selling sequels mid development for no other reason to be gigantic dickheads.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    not even that they've both canned good selling sequels mid development for no other reason to be gigantic dickheads.
    If anyone hasn't watched the video on www.modernwarfare.com I suggest you do I got a good laugh out of it haha

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Not to be cpt. Obvious, but maybe Activision wants their trademarked name back? >>;

I mean, the modernwarfare3.com stunt is the very definition as to why we have trademark at all: They very decisively took the name of their competitor to confuse and troll the competitor's customers.
    that guy had that domain even before they had trademarked mw3. so the only option they have is to buy the domain from him or file a complaint and see if he caves

Quote Originally Posted by olli576 View Post
    If anyone hasn't watched the video on www.modernwarfare.com I suggest you do I got a good laugh out of it haha
    Got a link to the vid? The site you linked is down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, the domain was in the guys possession (who is not affiliated with EA or DICE in any way) before Acticrap had the TM. Acticrap can't do anything, the guy did nothing illegal at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellphantine View Post
    "Rock Knocker"
    as in Rock Knocker Hellphantine
    Spend 100+ hours melee dpsing under a boss' testicles.
    - From the create your own title thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Got a link to the vid? The site you linked is down.
    the address is www.modernwarfare3.com
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dranx View Post
    Lol, the domain was in the guys possession (who is not affiliated with EA or DICE in any way) before Acticrap had the TM. Acticrap can't do anything, the guy did nothing illegal at all.
    Anyone can register a domain. That doesn't mean they have the rights to use it if it infringes on someone else's brand or intellectual property.
    Blindingly defending Blizzard; ignorantly trashing Blizzard. Both require an emotional investment that I'm unwilling to give. I'll take reason, logic, facts, and the willingness to accept that I may be wrong. At the end of the day I'll have nothing to account for and I may even have learned something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just noticed something, the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy, or the UDRP is pronounced phonetically "You-derp"
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

lol i think its funny.

rofl, took them long enough
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcare View Post
    that guy had that domain even before they had trademarked mw3. so the only option they have is to buy the domain from him or file a complaint and see if he caves
    That's not quite how trademarks work.
    Not far from though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its quite immature of whoever made that site to do that... They have to make fun of Modernwarfare 3 because they fear there game will fail.
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77