10+ Year Old Account

Modded Dell - What to replace?

Ok, so I'm currently running on a Dell Inspiron 530 system. I've replaced the operating system, video card, tower, HD, DD, power source, and RAM. Essentially the only things left on it are whatever was on the motherboard. Thing is, I'm not sure what all that involves. I installed all the parts myself and worked my way through switching towers (one hell of a rollercoaster ride), so I'm pretty good about know where things go and what they are, but not when it comes to the motherboard.

Essentially, I'm looking at possibly getting rid of the rest of the Dell parts and having a fully custom machine. I would especially like to have a new processor. Here are the specs on my current machine:

Dell Inspiron 530 64bt
    Thermaltake Black Widow v9 Tower
    Windows 7 Pro. 64bt
    Intel Core2Duo 2.8ghz
    6GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Etc.

If I could get some quick advice/info on what parts I would need to buy to be rid of the Dell parts, that would be great.

Edit: Here's a link to a specs sheet for the original Inspiron 530: http://www.pcworld.com/product/31068...0.html?p=specs
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2011-07-17 at 02:02 PM.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

You'll need to replace:
    motherboard
    cpu
    ram (possibly)

I recommend getting a p67 or z68 mobo, i5-2500k cpu, and 2x 4gb ddr3 1333/1600mhz ram.
    You may want to consider replacing the 9800 gtx again since it's a bit dated now.. but still probably works fine for another couple years if you can't afford to.
    Also what power source do you have currently... you need to make sure it's enough for all the new shit :P
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, trying to remember which power source I got. It's a Corsair, I know. Ok, just checked, it's a TX 650 watt. Which I believe should be good enough? I think the ram should be sufficient, but I'll keep it in mind to get more. I know the 9800 isn't exactly the best of the best atm, but it's certainly still pretty dang good, isn't it? It was the best one I could find less than 6 months ago.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |