View Poll Results: Should Warcraft IV follow WoW Lore?

Voters
25. This poll is closed
  • Hell Yes!

14 56.00%
  • No, WoW Lore ruined it...

11 44.00%

Thread: A New Warcraft?

A New Warcraft?

If Warcraft IV ever came out, would you guys want it to follow WoW lore or ignore it completely?

I know this has been discussed before but I want to take a poll and see what you guys think.
    --- The Time Warden --- A Comprehensive Hero Class Idea

Seeing as the lore is currently a meandering behemoth with no sense of direction thanks to the inclusion of licensed properties (novels, comics, etc) a Warcraft IV would pretty much have to be one of two things:

1) Completely non-canon and just involve the familiar themes from the Warcraft universe, while existing outside the WoW continuum.

OR

2) Be part of the canon and bridge expansions or major content in a way that would be impossible to do in-game.
    CPU - Intel i5-2500k w/Corsair H50 * MB - ASUS P67 Pro
    RAM - 8GB Mushkin PC-1600 * GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB
    SSD - Crucial M4 120GB SATA3 * HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard could easily make a new Warcraft RTS without needing to make new lore based on WoW. All they would have to do is make a Warcraft Zero and have the main campaign all about the entire War of the Ancients which from what we have seen in WoW and in books and mentioned in Warcraft III had a lot of stuff going on for it. Not to mention there are countless other wars in the series past that could easily make great RTS campaigns like the original War of the Shifting Sands, the War of the Three Hammers and the Troll-Human wars.

If they did, they would either have to explain the lore jumps that WoW makes, or they would have to deal with other aspects of it that WoW hasn't ruined yet.

Deleted
    Why make 2 threads on the same subject?

Didn't you just make this thread with the same name (Minus the "?"). I see no point in two threads.

Deleted
    I voted for no, but my real answer would be "some of it". I wouldn't mind a few retcons to straighten things up and make them more interesting, if that makes any sense.

In my opinion WoW, because of being an MMO, ruined some of it's Lore.

For example, when they make something good for one faction, they mirror it for the other to appease the crowds, otherwise people would shout "Blizzard loves Alliance/Horde moar! QQ" (that still happens, though). Think about the whole Garrosh/Horde problem, while at the same time Ironforge loses it's King and Moira comes out of the mountain to claim the throne. Seems a little of a stretch to me. I mean...at the same time?

The same goes for 1 race joining each faction at the same time, really convenient.

Or the fact that there isn't really a faction with an advantage in the war at some point in time, because otherwise Blizz HQ would be flooded with tears.

Also...we never know who downs what. You can clear every raid, doesn't matter if you're Ally or Horde, and that's all right, but there isn't, afaik, any canon ending to them. Who did really kill Illidan, Arthas, Ragnaros?

I don't want to sound picky, but what I want to say is that this kinds of things aren't good for the story. People might not see it right now...but in the long run I think they'll notice.

In the end I love the Warcraft franchise, but the story is getting a little bit stale. I wouldn't mind a WC4 came out to make things interesting again. But that's my opinion.
    Last edited by mmocf7632e0726; 2011-07-18 at 01:10 AM.

--- Thanks guys, I moved the thread --

sorry about this
    --- The Time Warden --- A Comprehensive Hero Class Idea

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    they could do some crazy time stuff with Bronze Dragonflight Nozdormu and Infinite Dragonflight to take us back to that time and pick up from there

Deleted
    MMOs really aren't the best mediums to expand lore as the game-play mechanics require a constant stream of new villains and yet a world that doesn't change.

It's hard to fllow up lore after an MMO as the MMO will have butchered it beyond recognition.

What Warcraft IV could do is simply continue a 100 years after the events of WoW and tell a story surrounding new characters and events.

I'd play if it were any good, not for WoW sake, but because I genuinely like the Warcraft games.