Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Stories] Post epic depressions - do you get them?

I was wondering if others felt the same way.

Whenever I finish an epic storyline that spans over multiple books or seasons I end up feeling empty and depressed. It almost feels like somebody died or you lost something that was a part of your life for a long time. It's hard to explain but I hope you know what I mean. It will generally only last a day or two but it always puts me in a gloomy and melancholy mood.

Series where I remember that happening are more recently the Harry Potter Movies, The Harry Potter books, LotR Movies, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Universe and a few others I can't recall.

So, is this normal or do I just get too emotionally invested in these stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I was wondering if others felt the same way.

Whenever I finish an epic storyline that spans over multiple books or seasons I end up feeling empty and depressed. It almost feels like somebody died or you lost something that was a part of your life for a long time. It's hard to explain but I hope you know what I mean. It will generally only last a day or two but it always puts me in a gloomy and melancholy mood.

Series where I remember that happening are more recently the Harry Potter Movies, The Harry Potter books, LotR Movies, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Universe and a few others I can't recall.

So, is this normal or do I just get too emotionally invested in these stories?
    It happens to me, but it only really happened for harry potter. Then again we're talking about a movie and book series i have grown up with. I've had Harry Potter longer in my life than i have not had it. Knowing that it's over is certainly sad, but it's a comforting feeling at the same time.

It's normal, I get that way too. Unless we are both not normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, I know exactly what you are talking about. So much so that sometimes I will put off finishing a long running book / anime / TV series to avoid it. I remember when I was reading the Otherland series by Tad Williams I let the last book sit on my desk for weeks with like 50 pages left. I think I just get attached to characters/stories and kinda sucks when it ends.

Yeah I'm afraid to see the end of One Piece since I've been following it for so long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Yeah I'm afraid to see the end of One Piece since I've been following it for so long.
    Have no fear, if everything Oda has said is true, he is only at the halfway point. You can look forward to like 10 more years of One Piece goodness.

i get it everytime a good cartoon/anime ends :/
    i then sit atleast the next 2hours totaly bad mood D:

Deleted
    Same here. Happens mostly for books but some extremely good TV series do that to me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Have no fear, if everything Oda has said is true, he is only at the halfway point. You can look forward to like 10 more years of One Piece goodness.
    Thank god, you made my night! But still.. that is almost too much. I don't want it to end though. Hehe, when I think about it, I could watch it with my future kids. That would be pretty cool

Sometimes. I felt amazing after i finished reading divine comedy and frankenstein for the first time.

Most other books/poems i enjoy ive had that feeling. Not so much with television.

10+ Year Old Account
    its called ending something you have been around to long i feel terrible that wow is actually slowly dying (and it has been since day one) everything dies and ends i move on

Deleted
    it even happens to me after some amazingly good films ...

I can't remember ever getting this but thats because I've never liked something that much to its end, normally quality starts degrading or something to cause me to not be as attached. Something to really soften the blow is when the same people start on a different project, thats what Im hoping will happen when a few things I like inevitably end.

This is happening to me as I type. The last time I can remember it happening in this degree is after the end of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood;60+ episodes was enough then, but also thee quality of the series.

However, it is now happening after I watched all of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Perhaps this does not count though, as I have the Rebuild 3.0 movie to look forward to.

Regardless, I find I often compensate by wiki'ing the series lots, finding out all the information about the series I can. Additionally, and this is particularly relevent to FMA and Eva, sorting through the many hidden meanings and evaluations of the series, finding the moral/religious tones behind the series. Also, the soundtrack usually ends up on my ipod.

I think it's a reasonable reaction. For me in particular my biggest problem is when I finish a really good show/book/etc and then just...don't want to follow it up with something that I know will be worse. I've been in that place for a while with anime, where I saw an amazing show (Gunslinger Girl) bookended by two fairly solid ones (Madoka Magika and The Last Exile) all the while having discovered a new series that I'm enjoy far more than most (Steins;Gate). It makes me all weary thinking about launching myself into a series that I most likely won't enjoy as much.

So not quite the same sort of attachment-depression you're talking about, but I do know the letdown after a good series. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I felt this way when I finished Tales of Vesperia. The game has a long and awesome storyline and many charismatic characters.

Mmm, this after FMA. Couldn't bring myself to watch a lot of animes, such as one piece. But this is all a matter of personal preference.

Off topic: Lol, didn't realise I'm actually listening to "Fate" from Evangelion right now O.o

I would have to say the most epic ending that I will never forget... even posting the image gives me goosebumps...

Deleted
    I have been experiencing similar, but instead of depression i feel empty somehow.

Deleted
    Your not alone OP, I think it's because we get emotionally attached to the "journey" and we realised that the journey will/has ended.

This is why almost half of the anime I watched I try to put off watching the ending, I can't count the number of anime where I only have 1 or 2 episodes still to watch. It gives me more reason to watch it again, I shouldn't really avoid the ending but I can't stand it when I finish a really good anime because then I feel a bit empty until I find another awesome anime.