Deleted

Need notebook for university and wow

my old notebook is dead (which I use to take notes in university) and i need to replace it.

All I need is a notebook with long life battery (at least 5 hours) and obviously able to run WoW with a decent resolution (actually I play on my desktop with a Ati Radeon HD 5570 with Intel Dual Core and 4gb ram, so not exactly a high-end configuration, but I find it good for my needs).

It's clear that if the price is low is better :P

Thx you for any advices you will give to me

10+ Year Old Account
    I know i will get flamed or be quartered and hung by the tech community but i have a BaddAss Windows Desktop at home and then i have my school computer a mac book pro. Price is not optimal but you get 7 hours of battery life i run wow great on it when i want to play on it, it has 4gb of ram 500gb of hd space and its 15 inch. Its very straight forward to use super user friendly and the warranties are so amazing I have never had to pay for any damages because apple is really nice and straight forward. It is a little pricey but if you really want a genuinely good school computer with NO BOOTING ERRORS, VIRUSES (we know what you do at night), HASSLE, WARRANTY ISSUES a macbook or macbookpro would be great for you.

I can't think of any laptop that can play WoW and last for a whole 5 hours, but just buy a spare battery if you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuutaka View Post
    I can't think of any laptop that can play WoW and last for a whole 5 hours, but just buy a spare battery if you need.
    i dont think he means it at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you have to get up around $1600 for a MBP before you get one that doesn't just have integrated graphics.
    If you could give a price range, it would be a lot easier to suggest something. ASUS makes great gaming laptops.
    All I can really tell is to to definitely get something with a current-gen intel cpu (2xxxM).
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I believe you have to get up around $1600 for a MBP before you get one that doesn't just have integrated graphics.
    If you could give a price range, it would be a lot easier to suggest something. ASUS makes great gaming laptops.
    All I can really tell is to to definitely get something with a current-gen intel cpu (2xxxM).
    It is pricey but you have too many problems with windows. My Friend bought a M17X because it rocks the all hell out of videogames for laptops. i bought a MBP i load faster and better my computer isnt 20 lbs and mine doesnt choke up like his. He has had to send it in plenty of times for malfunctions, he also has booting errors and viruses by the buckets

inb4 its a dell product

Deleted
    yep, i wasn't clear. I need it last for 5 hours when I'm in university taking notes (so just OS and Word open).

Wow is a plus

10+ Year Old Account
    what is your budget?
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Deleted
    i think about 500-600 € but obviously since I dont need a "last generation" laptop, if I could spare some money is better.

Deleted
    You should check out some of AMDs new Llano APUs. They offer good gaming performance at lower resolutions and have a long battery life-time.

They're also priced around 600 Euro so they should offer just what you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    You should check out some of AMDs new Llano APUs. They offer good gaming performance at lower resolutions and have a long battery life-time.

They're also priced around 600 Euro so they should offer just what you need.
    If you can afford something with a dedicated gpu, I would say definitely go for that. If you want to stick with something cheaper, the Llanos give about twice the graphics performance as any other integrated graphics on the market, although the cpu is lackluster, and might not do well for WoW. I've heard they do offer quite good battery life though.
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-07-18 at 08:03 AM.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    If you got the money, go get a Macbook Pro Got one myself, 2 years old and nearly no problems so far.

I know this will come across as a smarta$$ remark but Im not trying to be. Can you move to a seat beside a wall outlet? Every class I have had to take since I had a laptop I tried to sit by a wall socket or get with the people who already camp that spot and brought in a power strip.

Deleted
    the Acer Aspire 5742G series is really cheap an it comes with the new NVIDIA Geforce GT 540M (in most setups). But the abttery does not bring 5hours so... i like my new Acer an in my university there are outlets everywhere so it doesnt matter

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    If you can afford something with a dedicated gpu, I would say definitely go for that. If you want to stick with something cheaper, the Llanos give about twice the graphics performance as any other integrated graphics on the market, although the cpu is lackluster, and might not do well for WoW. I've heard they do offer quite good battery life though.
    Dedicated GPU is a thing of the past.

As said; go look for a system with a Llano APU. Llano gives way more then twice the graphics performance; Llano gives about the same performance as a low midrange dedicated card. Go for one of the higher end Llanos and it gives the same performance as highend mobile cards.
    Next to that; they use very little power so running for 5 hours is no problem at all; you should be able to get 7 or 8 as long as you don't use the CD drive or ask too much of the graphics.

Laptops with the Llano A4-3300 are available for under € 450. That will give you about the same performance as a dedicated AMD 55##M with a CPU comparable to a low-end Core i3. The A6-3400 is available for about €600. That will give you about the performance of a dedicated AMD 57##M with a CPU comparable to a mid-range Core i3. The A8 isn't in the stores yet but should be about €700-750 with a GPU comparable to a dedicated AMD 68##M and a CPU comparable to a mid-range Core i5.

How about the XPS 15? a bit over your budget but if configured right you can make it work. i3/i5 with an Nvidia 525m

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Croga View Post
    Dedicated GPU is a thing of the past.
    As said; go look for a system with a Llano APU. Llano gives way more then twice the graphics performance; Llano gives about the same performance as a low midrange dedicated card. Go for one of the higher end Llanos and it gives the same performance as highend mobile cards.
    Well that's just the most ignorant thing I've heard all day.

Dedicated GPUs aren't going anywhere, because the A8 (highest end Llano APU) has the cpu power of a last-gen i3 (low end cpu) http://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/a...apu-a8-3500m/8 (source)
    and the GPU power of a GT 525M (low end gpu) http://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/a...pu-a8-3500m/11 (source).

In fact, the last-gen i3 and the GT525M beats the fricken' pants off of the A8 since the A8 is a quad-core, and the i3 is only a dual core and SC2 is limited to 2 or 3 cores.

That being said, the Llano is still great for battery life, and probably more cost efficient than other things in the low end price range, but its not magical and won't run WoW very well.

Oh.. And don't buy a dell. They're not a good value
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-07-18 at 02:29 PM.

I don't mean to be rude, but why would a dell not be good value? It's been a couple of years since I bought one but I know a couple of people with them (I had a i9300, knew a couple of people with similar models including the e1705 which was an updated version of mine) I did however buy those in the states. Has the Customer Service declined or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siul1313 View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but why would a dell not be good value? It's been a couple of years since I bought one but I know a couple of people with them (I had a i9300, knew a couple of people with similar models including the e1705 which was an updated version of mine) I did however buy those in the states. Has the Customer Service declined or something?
    For something to decline (IE Customer Service) It has to first be existent....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siul1313 View Post
    Well looking at the models now (in Canada), the XPS 15 is on sale from $830 to $700 and is actually a good deal. If you get any higher than that, however, computers with the same specs can easily be had at a lower price. Its probably not as bad for notebooks as it is for desktops, which are (currently) horrid. The Studio XPS line is still using last-gen cpus.