Thread: Bare hard drive

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bare hard drive

I'm considering buying a bare drive to save some cash, it is this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-533-_-Product

I have a hard drive currently connected in my computer, would those cables suffice? If needed I can take a picture of the cables that I have connected to the current hard drive to see if they would work.

Can you post a Dxdiag output here, chances are that it will work but we just want to make sure.

Also, the cheapest 1TB 7200 RPM HD is the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=samsung%20f3 Samsung F3.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    and running it as an external?

Sure you can do it.... it's not really recomended though... since the drive would get dusty, have food, drink and hair on it,

I'll post some when I get to my home computer, also I saw that one but I'm lookign for 64 mb cache.

No it would be internal, I'm just wondering if the cables that I have connected to my current hard drive, could be transfered to another case and hard drive(the one above) and still be of use without screwing things up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely if the original machine is less than 8 years old you shouldn't have a problem.

---------- Post added 2011-07-18 at 07:00 PM ----------

You'll also likely be wanting this drive:

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Hard Disk Drive SATA 6 Gb/s 126MB/s <4.2ms 7200rpm - OEM
    1TB Capacity, SATA 6Gb/s Interface, 7200RPM Spin Speed, 64MB Cache, 5 Year Warranty
    Order Code:
    Manf. Code:
    WD-1002F
    WD1002FAEX
    Western Digital
    7 at Suppliers
    £64.98

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Discombobula View Post
    No it would be internal, I'm just wondering if the cables that I have connected to my current hard drive, could be transfered to another case and hard drive(the one above) and still be of use without screwing things up.
    If the cables connected to your current hard drive don't look like fat white ribbons (google IDE cable), you're all set.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

It is a old dell XPS, nothing besides the graphic card has changed.

Also, looking at the dell one it seems I do have a serial ATA(I looked it and went damn it a Serial ATA and then my GF made me say the first letter of serial then ATA, I feel dumb )

Are OEM drives dependable? Always bought brand new.

Edit: The conversion from a £ to $ brings it out as 104$. The other drive would still be cheaper, or am I doing my math wrong?
    Last edited by Discombobula; 2011-07-18 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a old dell XPS, nothing besides the graphic card has changed.

Also, looking at the dell one it seems I do have a serial ATA(I looked it and went damn it a Serial ATA and then my GF made me say the first letter of serial then ATA, I feel dumb )

Are OEM drives dependable? Always bought brand new.

Edit: The conversion from a £ to $ brings it out as 104$. The other drive would still be cheaper, or am I doing my math wrong?
    Can I have your girlfriend? she sounds smart and quick

OEM Drives are brand new :P they just don't come in a fancy box.
    The conversion (assuming your in the USA) is 1:1. (pretty much)

lol I'll hold onto her for a little while longer ^_^

Are you sure it is 1:1?

Looking around I'm getting $1.60 to every £1

10+ Year Old Account
    OEM just stand for "Original Equipment Manufacturer". This just means its the kind of thing they send to companies like Dell or Apple to build their computers, since they don't need a bunch of extra cables and instructions and whatnot. There are a lot of parts people always buy OEM online to save a lot of cash, as opposed to buying something like you'd find at Best Buy.

Stuff to buy OEM: Hard Drive, Optical Drives, sometimes CPUs

---------- Post added 2011-07-18 at 03:40 PM ----------

Stuff in Europe just costs a lot more. So something they can buy for 100 Euros (actually about 160 USD) can usually be found for about 100 USD in the States
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Are you sure that that website you showed me ships to the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure who you're talking to, but just order from Newegg. If you're on a tight budget, go with the Spinpoint F3, its definitely a better value than the Caviar Black.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I'm not sure who you're talking to, but just order from Newegg. If you're on a tight budget, go with the Spinpoint F3, its definitely a better value than the Caviar Black.
    Unless you're going for performance over capacity in which...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-319-_-Product

Is probably the best value.

Edit: Also, inc thunderstorms!
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Me?

Haha lol no sorry...

I'm just too lazy to open another tab, look around newegg or something and find it for you. the 1:1 conversion is that if it costs £60 here... it'll cost you $60 from a US site. Not if it costs £60 here and you buy it from a UK site. Because then you'd be subject to the what is it now? 1.8USD to 1GBP currency conversion Plus the UK's 20% VAT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

I
    found this, would this be a good replacement? I've read that you really will see no difference between SATA 3 and 6 and it has the cache I'm looking for + more space(though it probably is way to much :P)

Also have this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136742
    Last edited by Discombobula; 2011-07-19 at 06:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514

I
    found this, would this be a good replacement? I've read that you really will see no difference between SATA 3 and 6 and it has the cache I'm looking for + more space(though it probably is way to much :P)
    It's a very slow drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    It's a very slow drive.
    Ya, didn't read up on it before posting, my bad.

What about this one?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136742

I
    've heard blacks were pretty good

10+ Year Old Account
    yup thats a great drive.

It appears to be on sale now too!

You know you're bad at computers... when ur gf corrects u XD

OT: if ur cables look like very flat but broad cables ( looks like multiple minicables pasted togheter) then u have a problem, but those cables aren't being used since like.. pentium 4 or smthing so, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

The WD caviar black are the best price/performance HDD's at 7.2K RPM, allso one of the best performancewise, so yeah, listen to the persons who posted before me ^^