Flying on Alysrazor, clip dots early?

So I just started flying on alysrazor this week on my warlock as affliction. Annoying but not difficult, and I'm pretty much the best class in this group to head up there (in 10man).

Should I be following a normal rotation, clipping UA like I would on any other boss, or should I be clipping it early after so many circles? I looked at some WOL's of warlocks and they are getting around 200sbolts out, but getting around 500 ticks of ua/cor. Due to the extreme amounts of haste I'm not really sure when I should be clipping ua etc.
    Last edited by Boyiee; 2011-07-18 at 09:57 PM.
    Top 100.

15+ Year Old Account
    Before the stack reaches high enough ammounts to validate recasting it the UA should be dropping off soon anytime, so i doubt it's really worth it.

The haste buff is actually a Debuff which makes all dots auto update...don't recast until just before it falls off...act like its a normal rotation(use drain soul once shadow bolt goes under 1.0 cast time though.

Thats how I got 71k on my alt lock on normal alyzrazor 25.

Other than UA, what do you do once you hit bout 20stacks? Shadowbolt, Life drain or Drain Soul?

Keep Haunt on CD, UA 100% uptime, BoA 100% uptime, Spam Sbolt until its a 1.0 sec cast, then switch to drain soul, use Demon Soul during burnouts and make sure to refresh your stacks during tornado phases.

removed: incorrect maths is bad!
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2011-11-16 at 02:55 AM.

Drainsoul stays at a 15second channel while gaining ticks.

Drainsoul will scale with the haste up there amazingly...I usually start casting Drainsoul instead of Sbolt around 15 stacks(Sbolt is around .9cast timers before eradication at 2700 haste that I have)

Due to the 15 seconds channel, its also nice just for a ease of use point of view.

Like when I'm on the ground, I'll use drain soul during the fire tornados, simply because its far easier to maintain the channel than to try to spam shadowbolts while running in circles to avoid fiery death.

---------- Post added 2011-07-19 at 04:49 PM ----------

*NOTE I HAVE ROUNDED ALL NUMBERS TO THE NEAREST HUNDRED. DUE TO RNG THE VARIATION WOULD BE GREATER THAN ROUNDING ERRORS ANYWAYS... LIVE WITH IT*

Assuming 8000 spell power (shadow bolt scales better than drain soul)

Shadow Bolt will hit for ~9700 per cast
    Drain Soul will hit for ~4500 per tic, pre-modifiers
    you gain 13.04% damage to all dots from mastery with 0 mastery rating, that boosts DS to ~5200 per tic
    you gain 15% dot damage from shadow embrace, that boosts DS to ~6100 per tic
    you gain 23% dot damage from haunt, that boosts DS to ~7500 per tic

1 seconds shadow bolts means you are doing 9700 DPS with shadow bolt.
    to do 9700 DPS with DS, you need 1.29 tics of DS per second
    to get 1.29 tics of DS per second you need 285% haste (that would mean 25 stacks of the buff, dark intent, 5% haste buff, and 32% haste from gear)
    Assuming you have 500ish mastery, that boosts damage on DS to around 7800 making you need only 1.24 tics per second, making you need ~26% haste from gear.

Basically more mastery you have less haste you need. With low mastery, its basically impossible to do more damage with DS than shadowbolt on this fight. Unless (big unless!) you factor in the ease of use, you are far more likely to screw up spaming 1s shadowbolts than you are letting DS tic, also DS once cast ignores all facing requirements making it far far easier to keep channeling and fly through hoops.

Theoretically you shouldn't ever swap to DS over SB unless you have ~800 mastery or more. In practice, swapping to DS over SB will likely improve your DPS due to quality of life issues.
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-07-19 at 08:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    spamming shadowbolt is stressing.. pressing drainsoul every 10 seconds is more relax... reason enough :>

Cheers Delia, your napkin-fu is superior to mine

Confirms my logic - with some better values

@Kosu, I don't really see it as any more stressing than any other gcd ability we use :P - The current spellqueue makes that pretty lazy!

Guess I should note: when Eradication procs, you should channel DS even if you were spamming Sbolts.