Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember Yu-Gi-Oh. It was very fun and a lot of people I knew played it when it was popular. Unfortunately, it isn't as popular is before so you'll have a bit of trouble finding other people.

Awww memories...My favorite card was always Tyrant Dragon, at least once I got it.
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

Yugioh is a very fun game, and has gotten quite complex. The metagame is pretty interesting.

However, the game is changing all the time. While this is one thing that is good about it, it also makes the game pretty annoying to play IRL - if you do, you will have to spend tons of money on good cards - these days, a good deck will have around 10-15 Synchro monsters, many of which are never used, but need to be there on the offchance they fit the situation.

A good site i use to duel for free is www.duelingnetwork.com . Making your own deck is pretty annoying if you have no idea of how the game works, seeing as while it gives you acess to all the cards, there are no guideline decks or anything.

If you need help with a good deck, and decide to play, PM me. I only use one, but it is an anti-meta deck, and very sucessful when played well. There are one or two not-so-common cards that are occasionally used which will completely destroy this deck if you are unable to destroy them (seeing as this deck relies on one being able to remove cards from play - alot of them).

But give it a shot - it is a fun game, and complex.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

15+ Year Old Account
    Play Magic the Gathering, it will last much longer and you'll have way more fun.

AFAIK in YuGiOh, the quality (i.e. cost of the cards) of your deck matters WAY more than it does in magic. Yes in magic there are also the decks to beat, but all the time some underdog deckbuilder comes around with a relatively lowcost deck and beats the highcost competition with nice deck design and playing skill.

Magic has way more development time and thought put into every card than YuGiOh ever will. Sure there are unbalanced cards and chase rares in magic too, but overall it's a rather balanced game, which says a lot with a card pool of something like close to 20000 unique cards.

Also there are like 10 different casual variants of magic. Commander, Archenemy, etc. They are all rather low-cost with emphasis on fun and playing with friends rather than competing in a tournament.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Yu-Gi-Oh is really awesome fun back when I was younger, I still sometimes wish I could play again. I had 3 parts of Exodia and I get the feeling now that I wanted to get the others but meh, I was young and didnt take care of them when I moved house, now my 500+ cards are lost forver ;_;

Deleted
    trading card games is gay

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-07-19 at 07:09 PM.

I used to play, and as such, I gathered some. I stopped after awhile because it got too expensive. I still play with my friends from time to time though. I think it's a great way to test your mind and try out things. All these card games are are mind games. They're meant to challenge your mind.

From someone that has played all TCGs out there, I can honestly say Yu-gi-yo is terrible. Terrible in design and terrible in game play. mtG is probably the best thing out there for a card collecting fan/gaming fan. Although at this point I've stopped all of them, like the poster above me that mentioned he didn't like the direction Magic was headed - either did I. Did Blizz buy MtoG when I wan't looking?

Yu-Gi-Oh! is actually aimed at young adults in Japan, and is seen as as mature a game as Magic: The Gathering does to us. However, 4Kids intentionally marketed the anime to kids, so thats who took up the game.

Heck, I started an entire wiki on the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game. Heck yes, it was fun.

Im Surprised no one has Mentioned Marvel V.S DC trading card system.

Is possiably the best card game ive ever played, artwork was cool. Decks played well and was good fun and loads of ways to win games.

Nothing better then playing games with super heroes or villans that you liked

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I don't really think it fixed Standard, but that's just my taste. Back in 2008~2009, I was enjoying WoW TCG a lot more than MtG.
    Fixed as in "not completely broken with half a block banned from standard". Sure, there were always strong cards, but with the exception of Mind Sculptor, nothing was really broken. Even Stoneforge Mystic wasn't really broken, the equipment was just extremely good in Scars block. Rather than ban all the equipment, they just ban the card that allows for very nice card advantage. Batterskull isn't anywhere near as strong without Stoneforge, especially given the amount of removal in the block. It was just that the Stoneforge player was playing the equipment at roughly the same cost as the removal, which is inherit advantage that kept adding up over time till it was impossible to win with cards in standard.

I must admit, the reason I switched back and forth was mostly because of my playgroup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yugioh was fun until it got to the sets before elemental heroes then it just got completely stupid. I'd advise you to give magic another go because i still find myself having fun and its far more strategic than a game where you pretty much can win in 1-4 turns. I know you can in magic but those decks are rare.

Deleted
    It's all personal prefrence, I used to play both and back when yugioh first came out it was very basic with very little to think about but looking at it now you realy have no idea what to do, seriously what is syncro summon heh but at the same time thats the nature of the beast, they evolve if they diddnt bring out new concepts people wouldnt buy new cards

Three card games I've played younger; Pokemon, Duelmasters, Yugioh..

Played Pokemon most, but since that Yugioh was my second favourite since then.

Oh god I would be millionaire with those cards I have when sold. But I'm way too lazy for that!

I used to play Yugioh a lot when it came out, it was pretty much a trend back then like Pokemon was. The TV series are very bad sadly, none of them sticked to the rules of the game. Nowadays you may have a hard time finding other people who can play Yugioh

Yeah, I'll give MtG a shot again. Just got literally 10 friends interested in it again as of yesterday, we're all going to buy/build up some decks and have a blast.

Cheers, and thanks!

I thought yu-gi-oh was fun but it seemed too easy to lock somebody or be locked into by one thing. And the whole mentality oh "One card wins all" never keept me interested.

But like what a lot of people have said already MTG is preferred and maybe better in some ways.

it was fun playing, I think of it as a magic the gathering light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmad View Post
    Three card games I've played younger; Pokemon, Duelmasters, Yugioh..

Played Pokemon most, but since that Yugioh was my second favourite since then.

Oh god I would be millionaire with those cards I have when sold. But I'm way too lazy for that!
    If you had sold them then, maybe. Now, chances are they are worth nothing. LOB Blue-Eyes (the one from the booster pack) was like 50-60 bucks back then. Now it's like 3-5. The cards in the game just got more and more broken as time went on and only the latest and greatest sell for a lot. Konami also likes to rape the singles market with reprints (common mirror force in 2 decks in a row, then common solemn judgment AKA God says NO! in the next, then back to common mirror force in the latest). Another example, though much more recent, was Dark End Dragon, a world championship promo card that sold for on average $500...it came out as a promo in a magazine (so 100% chance to get it), making the price drop down to $12.

Back when it was a newer game, yes, it was one of the best TCG's out, our local store had more people coming in for YGO tournaments more than Friday Night Magic. I feel as if the game was ruined around the time they had their first banlist come out. I had to replace half of my deck and just called it quits.
    Bleh