Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    when Skyrim was first announced I was sceptical, still am to an extent. after all, Oblivion was pretty much the most disappointing sequel ever until Dragon Age 2 came out, although the modding community have done wonders to turn a bad game into a fairly good one (I feel sorry for the console gamers who aren't allowed to use mods) but it does look like they've taken into account the flaws of Oblivion. plus there's of course the construction kit again so even if the game's awful then there's still hope for mods. I do like the sound of some of the things they're promising, dynamic quests for example and more depth to the characters. if they can deliver all they've promised then it should be a hell of a game

Quote Originally Posted by Kylecat15 View Post
    If people think this game will be bad and or oblivion was bad.. then you have serious issues.
    yes because anybody who has different taste to you must 'have issues'? Oblivion made vast changes from Morrowind, I think we can all agree on that. whether or not those changes were for better or worse is down to individual taste. personally I much preferred Morrowind and left Oblivion well alone. recently I gave it another shot as the modding community have done a lot of work on fixing things I didn't like, and now I can enjoy the game thanks to those mods. in my opinion, without those mods, Oblivion is a disappointing and deeply flawed game. but I also dislike shooters, opera music and football while other people love them, doesn't make either of us wrong, just different
    Last edited by rayvio; 2011-07-20 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylecat15 View Post
    If people think this game will be bad and or oblivion was bad.. then you have serious issues.
    Strange, that was just what I was about to say about people who like Oblivion.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I didn't think Oblivion was "bad," but I don't blame you for not liking it. My biggest problem is simply the lack of interesting content to keep you playing after the main story. Not to mention exploration is incredibly boring. It's the same landscape throughout the entire region, and every dungeon and cave is the same.

From what I've seen they're already fixing these problems, so I have high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    yes because anybody who has different taste to you must 'have issues'? Oblivion made vast changes from Morrowind, I think we can all agree on that. whether or not those changes were for better or worse is down to individual taste. personally I much preferred Morrowind and left Oblivion well alone. recently I gave it another shot as the modding community have done a lot of work on fixing things I didn't like, and now I can enjoy the game thanks to those mods.
    Could you show me your list of mods? I prefer Morrowind too, but was planning to play Oblivion in nearest future. Right now have only Midas Magic and OOO.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

it's a long list :P but a good starting point is this thread where I asked some oblivion players and modders and got linked a lot of useful mods

Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    Could you show me your list of mods? I prefer Morrowind too, but was planning to play Oblivion in nearest future. Right now have only Midas Magic and OOO.
    http://knotstheinane.blogspot.com/p/...ing-guide.html

This is all you need really.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I played morrowind and oblivion (and when I say I "played" morrowind...I mean I easy spent 100 hours exploring on one character). I think they did a better job of balancing "sandbox" with "story" in Morrowind. Oblivion simply felt like too much space for the story. I didn't really care for the character design in oblivion...the faces felt really "puffy" to me, and kind of turned me off. Not to say Oblivion was a "bad game", per se, but it didn't steal my heart the way Morrowind did. Fallout III did a decent job...I think they did a lot of things right in fallout III that they didn't quite manage to do in Oblivion.

I'm hopeful for skyrim. I'll probably buy it with christmas money (no way I'll be able to buy it on release). Definitely gonna keep watching how it develops.

I already have an open ended game where I can do boring quests for people with no sense of progress or achievement. It's called real life.

I'll tell you why Oblivion was a bad game: Press s on your keyboard to back up, spam attack button, win the game. Boy, that was difficult. One of the worst combat/ai systems introduced in any game, ever.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    If they're doing another crappy console -> PC port, you can count me out.
    If this, then you can count me in - nothing more relaxing then playing a good game on your sofa.. And bringing mouse and a keyboard totally effs this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviltry View Post
    If this, then you can count me in - nothing more relaxing then playing a good game on your sofa.. And bringing mouse and a keyboard totally effs this up.
    The graphics will never be even close to the superior PC due to cheap hardware.. (btw, they call that one of their main selling points besides the name + dragons [twice])

10+ Year Old Account
    I can bet that this might be the GotY... I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series, I enjoyed Daggerfall very much, Morrowind not so much, and Oblivion was my favorite. Since the new perk/leveling system caught my eye, I can tell this will be my favorite allready.
    Do you like Guacamole?

Quote Originally Posted by Taliwhacker View Post
    I can bet that this might be the GotY... I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series, I enjoyed Daggerfall very much, Morrowind not so much, and Oblivion was my favorite. Since the new perk/leveling system caught my eye, I can tell this will be my favorite allready.
    Had no idea liking oblivion more than morrowind was possible... Oblivion was so linear

Quote Originally Posted by P4R45171K View Post
    Skyrim is going to be just like every other Elder Scrolls game
    Precisely the reason I'm going to buy it.
    "I feel bad for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." - Frank Sinatra

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're doing another crappy console -> PC port, you can count me out.
    The things that made porting it bad (Mainly the UI) are gone. It will be a great port.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

I feel like the only person on the face of this planet who loved both Morrowind and Oblivion equally. :|

Both had good stories -they just cater to different crowds. Morrowind had a distinct cultural taste that you could see, vs Oblivion which was your traditional 'European' fantasy feel. Morrowind was also slightly more difficult than Oblivion (which may be a good thing or bad thing for some people), and Oblivion was fully voiced whereas Morrowind you're staring at your computer screen reading the whole time. My point is, some people might like challenges and a more 'unique' fantasy setting, but others may like the traditional feel and prefer Oblivion's quick and easy fast travel system or - dare I say it - the leveling system.

Honestly I feel Skyrim will be the same way, in the sense that it really won't resemble Cyrodiil or Vvardenfell. It's going to have its own atmosphere, with heavy Nordic influences. So who knows, maybe some people won't like that. Personally I love dark/snowy environments and it's the only reason I liked WoTLK. Might be a deal-breaker for others though. XD

On-topicish, that five reasons list is pretty shabby. I've not quite bought the whole 'dragons!' thing yet because I've seen them so reused in fantasy games I'm convinced there's not much else you can do to make them feel different. 'Oh, look, he just chomped that guard and tossed him to the side like a ragdoll. Cool. What else? Oh, dragon shouts? Okay...' I have faith in Bethesda's story-telling though, and I'm sure there's much more to them than just roar, gobble some people up, and go back to flying.

The other reasons are just 'duh'. Open world and a story you dictate - yeah that's traditional elder scrolls and not something unique to Skyrim. Try harder, article author.

I will say that there is one thing I dislike about Skyrim already, however.

The font and health bars, Bethesda, why?! ;.;

I am 100% sure the first mod I will download for Skyrim will be to change the interface. Unless it's changed by release. At least in Oblivion the health bars and stuff looked part of the world. The font they are currently using does not immerse me into the world one bit. It's jarring and reminds me I'm playing a game.

MY stupid white xbox broke my oblivion RAGE
    "The sky's will rain fire." "The oceans will boil." "The streets will run red with the blood of billions only then when your last pitiful hope is extinguished will I end your life lets go."

Quote Originally Posted by turlyonlost to tirion wtf View Post
    MY stupid white xbox broke my oblivion RAGE
    When I first got it, it literally burned a 1mm ring into my disc :<

Deleted
    I played oblivion for maybe an hour and a half then decided to throw it away since it would take my life and wouldn't give anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Euzan View Post
    If it's not online I'm not really interested.
    Then why even open the thread?

---------- Post added 2011-07-20 at 10:33 PM ----------

Had no idea liking oblivion more than morrowind was possible... Oblivion was so linear
    If you thought oblivion was linear you're doing it wrong.