Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What should I play now? RPG edition

Ok, so I only have money for one game atm and I want to give an RPG on the 360 a shot. I know I'm drastically limiting myself with that mindset, but still, those are the parameters. I'll list some of what I like in a game to help you guys out in regards to helping me pick... this list is NOT in any order, they are all important.

1) Side-quests and secrets (I love having reasons to spend extra time in a game, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX were good examples)
    2) Customization (Star Ocean is a good example, Dragonage 2 is a horrible example)
    3) Storyline
    4) Gameplay
    5) Non-linear gameplay, I hated FFXIII.
    6) This one isn't make or break, but I've found that most RPGs that have it are way more fun... and that is... a WORLD MAP. Generally I really like this model for some reason, it makes you feel like you actually have some control over the story and offers a unique way to hunt for secret stuff and sidequests.

Ok, so there you have it, and don't think I'm just randomly tossing this off to you guys because I'm too lazy to look. I have looked, EXTENSIVELY, chances are anything that is suggested here I have looked into already. That's not to say I don't want to play those games, I would just like some direct feedback before I go out and get one.

Games I have looked seriously at recently:
    The Last Remnant
    The Clocktower
    Tales of Vesperia
    Two Worlds
    Lost Odyssey
    Infinite Undiscovery
    Nier

If anyone could give me a good reason to choose a game (listed or unlisted), it would be greatly appreciated. Also a short reason why I would like it based on my interests would be a plus!

I really appreciate any responses, thanks guys!
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Deleted
    Mass Effect 1&2
    Fallout 3 & Fallout:New Vegas
    Oblivion

Imo, if you haven't played the Mass Effect series pick it up. One of the best series i have ever played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skyrim when it comes out

Mass Effect all day.

Unless that is, and I'm not trying to sound like a dick, you're one of those guys who has to play the anime looking shit.

Planescape Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout New Vegas and the Witcher duo.

Morrowind would be awesome too.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I agree with Phantomlord91 mass effect is the way to go, I recently started playing ME1 and just can't drop the game, also have ordered ME2 for my PS3. Can't wait
    It has all the points you have mentioned.

take it from me, lost odyssey is a lot of fun, and you can play tales of vesperia 2 player if you want, so if you have a friend you 2 can play together. they both have good stories and characters, both have a world map, and decent customization.

I would suggest Tales of Vesperia myself. I really enjoyed it and it was a solid JRPG, my favorite out of the lot that's come out for the 360 that I've played. It's got lots of little side stuff, although a lot of it is miss-able and chains, so if you don't like constantly searching you may miss most of it. Reasonable amount of customization in what skills you bring and which characters, nothing over the top, but then I didn't think SO was over the top either. The storyline was decent, although it hits the usual JRPG bumps. Gameplay was enjoyable, combat is real time and somewhat action based. Storyline is mostly linear, but not a railroad like FFXIII. And there is a pretty decent sized world map to explore.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest NIER mainly based off the fact that to me personally it felt very very similar to Ocarina of Time. Its not super-huge but it does have a decently sized over world to run around it and the game play feels sort of like a combination of Zelda and Prince of Persia.

Also I would recommend the Two Worlds games, especially the second.

Also:
    The Clocktower
    What RPG is this? I cant say I have ever heard of it unless you are talking about the stealth/horror series called Clocktower?
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2011-07-20 at 11:39 PM.

Just picked up Neverwinternights 2 platinium edition with all the expansions on Steam, so far I'm 49 hours into game and still playing the original campaign, sure as hell more depth than any new rpg that I've played in years, the new ones like Dragon Age 2 and Dungeon Siege 3 can be completed in like 10 hours lol

Planescape torment is probably the best rpg of all time. You name a lot of jrpgs so maybe the old but goods chrono trigger xenogears, secret of mana, old ff's.

If I were to chime in, I'd say that Tales of Vesperia fits in very closely to your requirements:

1) Side-quests and secrets (I love having reasons to spend extra time in a game, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX were good examples)
    There are plenty to be had, although most are found after the first play-through. Speaking of which, just because of the combat system, party system, and so on, there is plenty of replay value to be had.

2) Customization (Star Ocean is a good example, Dragonage 2 is a horrible example)
    Each character gets a large set of skills, is strong with some aspects of fighting and weaker in others, and you get to customize which skills to use in any combo you want. There are lots and lots and LOTS of ways to handle combat. Speaking of which, it has one of the better systems out there, in my opinion.

3) Storyline
    It can be corny at times, but the story is really very good. I can't say much more on the subject without spoilers, but take it from me that it is worth it for the story alone.

4) Gameplay
    As I said before with customization, and the combat system in general, the gameplay is very good. It's more like a traditional RPG, with some more modern twists. Some youtube videos will show you a lot of what I mean.

You can go where you want, when you want, and how you want. However, there is *usually* only one place of worth to go, when playing through the game. Like it or not, unless it's a fallout-type game, that's about how most RPG's are.

6) This one isn't make or break, but I've found that most RPGs that have it are way more fun... and that is... a WORLD MAP. Generally I really like this model for some reason, it makes you feel like you actually have some control over the story and offers a unique way to hunt for secret stuff and sidequests.
    There is a world map, there are lots of hidden areas and fun areas to explore, and it is pretty big. You won't be dissapointed by this particular world map.

All in all, Tales of Vesperia is a great game, with lots of content and replay value. I played through it a few times, and I'll likely play through it again. I'm sure it'll fit your current needs!
    Last edited by Tisud; 2011-07-21 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Ok, so I only have money for one game atm and I want to give an RPG on the 360 a shot. I know I'm drastically limiting myself with that mindset, but still, those are the parameters. I'll list some of what I like in a game to help you guys out in regards to helping me pick... this list is NOT in any order, they are all important.

3) Storyline
    4) Gameplay

Ok, so there you have it, and don't think I'm just randomly tossing this off to you guys because I'm too lazy to look. I have looked, EXTENSIVELY, chances are anything that is suggested here I have looked into already. That's not to say I don't want to play those games, I would just like some direct feedback before I go out and get one.

Games I have looked seriously at recently:
    The Last Remnant
    The Clocktower
    Tales of Vesperia
    Two Worlds
    Lost Odyssey
    Infinite Undiscovery
    Nier

If anyone could give me a good reason to choose a game (listed or unlisted), it would be greatly appreciated. Also a short reason why I would like it based on my interests would be a plus!

I really appreciate any responses, thanks guys!
    I'd check out Morrowind. It's an open game and there are tons of things to discover.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres."

Wow guys, you've all really made me smile. I appreciate all of your input and am now down to either Tales of Vesperia or Lost Odyssey, they sound like the best out of my little list for my taste. As for the games mentioned here that weren't listed all I can say is HAHA, I've played them all (but 1), and I agree with you guys, they are all amazing.

-Witcher games, very fun
    -Alpha Protocol was fun, I suggest picking it up if you find it cheap somewhere.
    -Mass effect 1+2, great.
    -Neverwinter Nights (1 and 2, + all xpacs) OMG SO GOOD, spent way too much of my life on these
    -Fallout (any iteration) great game
    -Elder Scrolls games, not my exact taste (not into the first person thing) but still good
    -Temple of Elemental Evil, hahaha, i loved this game back in the day, except when I wandered into a room with like 500 guards and my entire party died in one round... 20 minutes in lol, I'm a huge D&D nut, I don't like 4th ed though...
    -A special mention of Secret of Mana, that was the game that got me into RPGs in the first place. FF1 was interesting, but didn't draw me in like SoM... that game has a special place in my heart. Seiken Densetsu 3 (or secret of mana 2 or 3 depending on your viewpoint) was also great.

I haven't heard of planescape, I'll look into that.

Oh, and as for 'clocktower', I don't know why I called it that, I don't remember the name... it takes place at least partially in a clocktower and has one on the cover(it's an rpg where the standard weapons are guns rather than medieval arms), it's a darker and slightly less known RPG... I can't remember the name, but I remember reading reviews for a while.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your help, my mind is basically made up, but if anyone has any last minute thoughts. I'll read em

Last word: Since I'm assuming you guys like RPGs (wonder why I'd assume that :P), there's one called Shadow Hearts for the PS2, there are 3 games in the series, the 3rd isn't worth mentioning.. but if you like Final Fantasy-esque games with a REALLY dark atmosphere, pick it up. I have never played a better game.

EDIT: Aha, it's not called "Clocktower" it's called "End of Eternity" or "Resonance of Fate", they are the same game (one is the title of the original, and the other is the title of the American Rerelease)
    Last edited by Rhaide; 2011-07-22 at 01:08 AM.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

10+ Year Old Account
    Get Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 w/Broken World. Tons of complex quests, secrets, customization, loot, spells, etc. etc.

It's pretty linear and the story is so-so (1 is better than 2 story-wise) but the games are just bad ass.

It's pretty linear, but Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is probably one of the best RPG's I've played in a while. It's got a decent amount of secrets and I loved the storyline. It's definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aman08 View Post
    Get Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 w/Broken World. Tons of complex quests, secrets, customization, loot, spells, etc. etc.

It's pretty linear and the story is so-so (1 is better than 2 story-wise) but the games are just bad ass.
    Heh, oh yeah, beat em both, and the xpac to 2. Great games.

It's pretty linear, but Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is probably one of the best RPG's I've played in a while. It's got a decent amount of secrets and I loved the storyline. It's definitely one of my favorite games of all time.
    You know, that's probably one of the few series that I haven't played at all. I played a demo of one ONCE a long time ago and I hated it... but shortly afterward, my friend informed me I played some weird offshoot that sucked. It was like a board game in video game form. So I need to pick one up again....
    -Darsithis

Deleted
    I really loved (and still do) Lost Odyssea.
    Im on my second playthrough and it is epic. I spent a lot of time in FFVII - FFX-2 just trying to unlock everything, find every little secret and Lost Odyssea is the closest I have found to that level of exploration. All other RPG's besides the Final Fantasy series tend to feel really linear so LO was a refreshing change. It has a really great story in there too and the characters themselves are wonderful.
    The one thing I can think of which it doesnt have from your list, is a world map you can wander around. Instead this give you the go to this place fast travel type of exploration.

You sound like you have simelar taste to me in regards to RPG's so I would definately give LO a go, you can pick it up pretty cheap these days too.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Last Remnant was better than all the Final Fantasy games I've played. And that says something. The whole "you have an army instead of a small party" concept was awesome, and the story and characters were interesting too.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    -Elder Scrolls games, not my exact taste (not into the first person thing) but still good
    You can actualy switch between first and third person, but unless you are melee, you will spend much of the time in first person.