Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    For the love of god stop QQing about designer laziness just because you don't like the class.

Out of all the mechanics they have available to create survival CDs....they create near identical 3 damage reducing shields.
    You don't find that just a little bit lazy? I mean, AD didn't even have a graphical effect until recently.

As I've said before...its effective, its wanted, its a decent tool for the class...and the design screams "I can't be bothered thinking of something different".

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2011-07-22 at 12:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Out of all the mechanics they have available to create survival CDS....they created 3 damage reducing shields.
    You don't find that just a little bit lazy? I mean, AD didn't even have a graphical effect until recently.
    Like I said, I play all 4 tanks and I prefer the Pally version. Is it lazy? That's subjective, how do we know if they were lazy in designing it? You think they're lazy because you find the CDs to be boring. Effective yes but boring, I can understand that. You gotta understand though that I don't find them boring. I actually like them and I'm not saying that to defend Blizzard, I just do prefer my dmg reduction CDs to be predictable and simple. If they choose to flex their creativity muscles I would prefer they do it in other ways such as changing our DPS rotation or adding more things like WoG or Holy Radiance, not by redesigning CDs.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Like I said, I play all 4 tanks and I prefer the Pally version. Is it lazy? That's subjective, how do we know if they were lazy in designing it?
    Because they didn't even take the simple step of linking AD into an existing graphic effect. Its not as if that takes a lot of work. And its not as if Blizzard didn't have lots of options to create a differential between the various CDs Prot has.

They're simple, they're effective...but the design work behind them is lazy. Theres simply no other way to describe it. They had and have other options and other mechanics. They didn't use them. And they didn't even finish the work on AD until recently. Granted, a graphical effect isn't a major deal....but think of the work they put into the graphical design for LoD for example and how they touted that at the time.

EJL

The thing that annoys me most about being a prot pally after playing a warrior tank is that we don't have any way to apply the 10% physical damage reduction or 20% melee speed reduction debuffs in an AOE situation other than just tabbing around and single targeting everything. It doesn't even always apply! Warriors can just shout a few times and shazam, debuffed enemies.

I mean, how nice would it be if we had like a "blinding light" ability that applied one of those debuffs to enemies? Cool and flavorful.

Because they didn't even take the simple step of linking AD into an existing graphic effect.
    It has it's own graphic effect, sort of like retaliation with shields.

Eh... Protection is my offset and I have to say, tanking couldn't be easier to generate threat. Once my initial rotation is in, shit is the easy sauce. Obviously picking up adds can be a pain but that's what misdirects and other such tools are for. It's basically encouraging cooperative gameplay. Ridiculous concept right? Seriously, quit QQing about things that are meant to create a certain degree of difficulty, rather than the spoonfed crap I'm sure most WoW players are used to.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abijax View Post
    It has it's own graphic effect, sort of like retaliation with shields.
    NOW it has. THEN...it didn't.

That effect is new.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by bobty View Post
    All you really have to do in order to demonstrate it doesn't work is tank a 5 man in decent gear and sigh as the lack of vengeance means any semi decent dps can rip aggro from you. The other day I did a guild ZA run and I was sitting around at most 3k vengeance, even if I deliberately tried to take more damage than was intended.
    Yet another benefit of keeping a 346 tank set in my bags.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    Yet another benefit of keeping a 346 tank set in my bags.
    It just demonstrates poor mechanic balancing though.

---------- Post added 2011-07-22 at 11:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post

Out of all the mechanics they have available to create survival CDs....they create near identical 3 damage reducing shields.

As I've said before...its effective, its wanted, its a decent tool for the class...and the design screams "I can't be bothered thinking of something different".

EJL
    Correct me if I am wrong but you are complaining that we have good cooldowns basically?

We could have an ability that spawned 50 holy kittens that fly around the room but if it wasn't any good what would the point be.

---------- Post added 2011-07-22 at 11:54 PM ----------

As it stands:

Divine protection - Short cooldown but also relatively weak, however you have the option to glyph it for magic based fights. However this completely removes the physical component

Ardent Defender - At first glance similar to Divine Protection, however the heal procc makes it considerably more valuable in situations where you think the next hit might kill you

Guardian of ancient kings - All tanks have a counterpart ability, but that is not a bad thing when it is very good in high damage parts of the fight.

Lay on hands - No other tank gets this, and for that matter no other class does either. Guaranteed to make some raid members laugh on voice chat when they expected a wipe.

Divine shield - Again this is unique to us. Can prevent wipes when used correctly and negates all damage at points when good heals would otherwise save you

Blessing of protection - Good for removing debuffs, can be cast on anyone. As above but only physical damage.

So no it is not correct to say all our cooldowns are boring and the same as what other tanks get....

strongly agree.
    for example, on lord rhyolith (h) the fragments that spawn need to die so rapidly if you miss ONE single HotR you're fucked. Simply put, these fights with all of this multi-target threat requirements being so high with where some ranged dps stands. especially, boomkins at that is just over the top. blizzard has added rng into tanking which shouldn't be the case. having to worry if i'll miss my major damage dealing spell in-order to prevent people from dying isn't okay in my book. i suppose that's just my opinion though.

It's certainly annoying to have 3-5 CS miss, but it's not enough to destroy your threat completely, only your fun! Ultimately all that CS does is that, it nerfs fun, not anything else. It's annoying and gay, but meh, we can live with it the way it is. If CS went back to always generating HoPo, they'd have to change Grand Crusader again, cause we'd be getting a fair bit too much HoPo probably then :P

Deleted
    Prot definitely needs SOMETHING. Performancewise we're A-ok. But now that I've really gotten into my Blood DK alt I've found out that Prot paladin is... downright BORING.
    Even though Blood DK is harder to play and easier to fuck up, I find it a lot more engaging than Prot. Baleroc, Shannox and Beth my biggest challenge is staying awake.

I dunno, I like being able to watch TV shows on my other screen while playing :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTirri View Post
    Prot definitely needs SOMETHING. Performancewise we're A-ok. But now that I've really gotten into my Blood DK alt I've found out that Prot paladin is... downright BORING.
    Even though Blood DK is harder to play and easier to fuck up, I find it a lot more engaging than Prot. Baleroc, Shannox and Beth my biggest challenge is staying awake.
    That's not really Pallies being boring, it's DKs being engaging. Baleroc and Beth are all boring as hell with a Pally, Warrior or Bear. They're just boring fights from a tank PoV (I killed time while tanking Baleroc by spamming Holy Light to see how high I can get my WoG to crit - 300k on the other tank).

Actually I can so far as saying tanking in general has boring rotations, if there is no new mobs constantly spawning and no major movement then the fights get boring.

But then again maybe you're right and Pallies are boring. I'm just so used to all of specs rotation that I get bored on all of them, the engaging part of fights for me is the boss mechanics which isn't relevant to class. So maybe you are right.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-07-24 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reakash View Post
    Protadins certainly have enough defensive cool downs, and some damn good ones at that.
    *Reakash fails his 'Detect Sarcasm' roll.*