Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need feedback on Ragnaros tries.

Hai,

After finally killing Rhyolith we one-to-threeshotted all other bosses and now we're at Ragnaros. Our first attempt was at 45%, which was very promising.

After 6 wipes I figured that every wipe, the real reason of the wipe was a tank death and I felt that mainly our paladin ran oom arround 55% 45% hp on Ragnaros (That is +- on the second to third add wave).

I'm 100% convinced that our strategy works, as I have killed the boss every week on my priest up to now. All I basicly want to know is how our healers are doing.

Here's a link to our WoL. Please don't mind the old content we did, we had to 'carry' a hunter for some gear, the Al'Akir wipe was bad because we tried stacking in start, before someone starts.

While we're talking about hunters, is there anything our hunter Lionbane can improve on? I feel his DPS can be way higher.

Healer armory's:
    Memro (Paladin)
    Sopginger (Shaman)
    Jím (Disc, used to be shadow)

Thanks in Advance,
    Xaphire.
    Last edited by mmocd9f934ed2c; 2011-07-22 at 09:17 AM.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Think its a gear issue if he's oom'ing at 55%. We usually have our 3rd wave of adds when we're at low 40s, sounds like you need a couple more kills on other bosses to rack up some epics. If everything is perfectly executed in rag its still quite demanding in terms of gear. Also, tanks should switch at 3-4 stacks, don't go any higher.
    THIS... IS... MAGICKA! - www.magicka.se

Not healing wipes. Blaming it on the healers is the easy way out. The fight is 2 healable. Fix all the people dying to avoidable mechanics such as lava waves and you will notice a huge improvement.

Deleted
    There is only one correct death to Lavawave. The others that, if they even have bin counted through WoL, were on purpose where as I call out a wipe, so we die faster.

I feel it's on the healers when out of 6 tries, 5 tries the real reason was tank death. Ofcourse we have a DPS dead on some tries due to slow momevement (exploding adds, whatever more), but this is not a reason to wipe as we can carry on as much as we can with a DPS dead. With a tank dead, however, we can't.

As a matter a fact, I'd even like to point out that noone touched a single flame wave on our first 2-3 wipes, and we didn't wipe in the transistion phase either, while being new.

After a brief look at your logs, your tanks need to be taunting off at 3 stacks every time, there is no reason to go to 4 stacks. This reduces the healing your pally will need to do to keep them up

If a tank is dropping dead whilst you are stacking up for the seeds, make sure they are popping Cd's or getting external Cd's from some where, we had it a couple times that the tank would die while stacking.

Good luck with him =D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolfox View Post
    After a brief look at your logs, your tanks need to be taunting off at 3 stacks every time, there is no reason to go to 4 stacks. This reduces the healing your pally will need to do to keep them up

If a tank is dropping dead whilst you are stacking up for the seeds, make sure they are popping Cd's or getting external Cd's from some where, we had it a couple times that the tank would die while stacking.

Good luck with him =D
    Thanks, I'll make sure the taunting happens right at 3. I've seen it go higher sometimes indeed.

As for Lionbane, as you asked, he doesn't seem to be hardcasting Aimed Shot during moments of Rapid Fire or Heroism. I know Rag is movement intensive at times, but that alone can give a massive dps and damage increase during those periods.

I've also never seen Chimera Shot so high up on the damage done. Typically arcane shot will beat it if he's dumping focus adequately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    As for Lionbane, as you asked, he doesn't seem to be hardcasting Aimed Shot during moments of Rapid Fire or Heroism. I know Rag is movement intensive at times, but that alone can give a massive dps and damage increase during those periods.

I've also never seen Chimera Shot so high up on the damage done. Typically arcane shot will beat it if he's dumping focus adequately.
    Thanks. I'll pass it to him.

I looked through individual boss attempts, and noted that the number of Arcane Shots he used was roughly -equal- to the amount of Chimera Shots he was using. Yet only used a cast time Aimed shot once or twice overall. All the other casts were instant, no focus cost procs.

That leaves a very large sum of focus unaccounted for.

I'm 100% convinced that our strategy works
    Don't be. Everyone makes mistake. No-one is perfect. Although this sounds a bit like DPS issue.. On our first kill the phase changed after we killed second adds (40%).

Deleted
    Hunter has no glove enchant, is missing a glyph and isn't hitcapped.
    He's missing 1% haste from talents, is not using 4 set t11 (why not?) and is not at his appropriate haste-plateau.
    Furthermore he has one maxed out profession (skinning ftl) and his LW is at a sadly low level.
    He has crit on his bracers instead of 50 agi and has the ray scope instead of the new one.

If anything he should be survival with this gear and 2 piece t12 bonus.
    Not checked the logs but i'm going to guess from the responses up here that he doesn't really know what he's doing or is simply being lazy.
    Last edited by mmoc8f0880a709; 2011-07-22 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahyun View Post
    Hunter has no glove enchant
    [...]and his LW is at a sadly low level[...]
    I'll just have to add that he has gotten those gloves and logged off after the raid, aswell that he just rerolled. Thanks for the rest of the tips though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lionbane should learn to read up on EJ or any proper site.

I know Lionbane cause he was in our guild. Nice guy but not the best DPS, probably due to a lack of information. And should reforge a bit towards hit cap indeed.

And is it me or does 10k HPS seem kinda low? I know HPS isn't a real bar to measure with but it does seem kinda low - then again, I never set foot in FL as healer.

The pally could btw lose some spirit, f.e. replace his spirit enchant on chest with peerless stats, wrists with +int - replace some int/spirit gems to full int gems and reforge his neck + ring to haste (from mastery/crit) and perhaps even grab PT instead of Heartsong on his MH. This will make his DP more effective.
    Last edited by Muis; 2011-07-22 at 09:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    Lionbane should learn to read up on EJ or any proper site.

I know Lionbane cause he was in our guild. Nice guy but not the best DPS, probably due to a lack of information. And should reforge a bit towards hit cap indeed.

And is it me or does 10k HPS seem kinda low? I know HPS isn't a real bar to measure with but it does seem kinda low - then again, I never set foot in FL as healer.

The pally could btw lose some spirit, f.e. replace his spirit enchant on chest with peerless stats, wrists with +int - replace some int/spirit gems to full int gems and reforge his neck + ring to haste (from mastery/crit) and perhaps even grab PT instead of Heartsong on his MH. This will make his DP more effective.
    Heh. You live close to me (Tuil here), got a WTF feeling atm

OT though, I'll see what other Paladins say, and tell it through.

10+ Year Old Account
    We should grab a drink some day then ;-) I'll buy ya a beer ^^ (stadscafé maybe?)

As a paladin - I'd go for what I advised tho. Crit and Mastery are quite crap. Haste is the way to go.
    Spec wise he won't have to change much. The shammy logged out in enhance gear so can't really comment on him.

Priest is disc - which has different priorities/playstyle as holy. Seeing as I only played holy/shadow in Cata I'm not in a solid position to comment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    We should grab a drink some day then ;-) I'll buy ya a beer ^^ (stadscafé maybe?)

As a paladin - I'd go for what I advised tho. Crit and Mastery are quite crap. Haste is the way to go.
    Spec wise he won't have to change much. The shammy logged out in enhance gear so can't really comment on him.

Priest is disc - which has different priorities/playstyle as holy. Seeing as I only played holy/shadow in Cata I'm not in a solid position to comment.
    Hehe, check your PM.

I'll tell the pala, help him arround a bit. I personally know the Shaman and Priest are fine, in my opinion the Priest is actually doing above average!

10+ Year Old Account
    lol though I see 4 stacks instead of 3, I don't see any reason why the paladin is burning his mana away so much. I mean, I down Rag every week on my holy pala, most healing done and I hit p3 on full mana, p2 around 80% mana. He needs to stop burning so much...

You will have to speak to your pally about it. 4 stacks is very normal.
    Video in sig will show you that me and my second tank have 4 stacks most of the time. 3 is if smash occurs in between.

If your tank is dying during movement make sure you have your healers set up in a way to minimize movement, your tank to not be overzealous in moving (and thus being OOR and dying). We had wipes due to tank deaths that way.

Deleted
    We have in this particular phase (We call it no. 3, some might call it phase 2) the healers set on the most left side when we are spread right, and standing on the most right side when we spread on left. We always keep the center (straight forward for Rag) clear, we only move through it from one side to another. So they basicly have the least movement. The priest also has his PS ready for movement, and pops a bubble on the second addwave (the one that gives a hammer when you stack), as a PI for that same, or the one after. So you'd think it's cool.. But it's not.

All with all, I think me and the pala have some word, and we try better Sunday.

Deleted
    I wouldn't say it's the paladin's fault, looking at your healing meters for all Rag attempts your Paladin is top healer and has done the most (by a large margin) healing to both tanks. I think your Priest and Shammy could stand to put out a little more tank heals, this isn't WotLK where tank healing is solely the pally's area, Disc and RestoSham are both very powerful tank healing specs. It seems like you're dying on the transitions to simply too much damage on tanks (or too little heals). There are a few things to just ask yourself in that situation.

1) Are tanks using a CD while moving? You don't have a druid so your heal team is slightly immobile, a tank CD poped while you move for Seeds in P2 is great.
    2) Are tanks switching right before or during movement? A tank with a high amount of Burning Wounds stacks trying to tank while the whole raid is mobile... it hurts.
    3) Are your healers making sure to keep spamming the tank here? Pain Supression, Hand of Sac, Spiritwalker's Grace, Lay on Hands, GotAK+WoG... they all have a lot of tools they can rotate to deal with those phases.

It's just combined effort between your tanks and heals imo to make sure you can deal with the tank damage AND the movement / raid damage that also goes out. This is the place to use CDs. You should have a raid CD (aura mastery, tranquility, PW:Barrier, Spirit Link Totem, etc.) for every single add phase (when the adds all come to you and start wrecking your raid) and you should have a single target CD (individual tank CDs, Hand of Sac, Lay on Hands, Pain Sup) for every single movement to use on the tank.

Edit: It could also be an issue of your paladin not trusting the other healers enough to do their job and spamming too much on the tank, therefore Ooming himself. It's hard to tell without seeing how he plays, but it'd be worth mentioning to him. He cannot try to do everything himself and end up Oom, he has to pace himself. Like I said, Disc and Shaman are both quite capable tank healers.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-07-22 at 10:48 AM.