Ret paladin key binding help

Hey I have comeh ere to get some advice on key bindings. I was formaly what you guys call a "clicker" and looking to maximize my gameplay with key bindings but had a few questions. I have read numerous threads on key bindings and there is no right way of doing it besides what you feel comfortable with which is how I set my bindings up but I've been having a few problems. I have my rotation around my w a s d keys for easy acess which is not a problem when I'm just hitting on a dummy but problems occur when I start actual fights. For instance if I'm strafing left and my next key spell is say holy wrath which I have bound to q I find it very hard to press as my ring finger is alrdy on the a key. Is it normal with key bindings in certain cituations that you just will have buttons that are very hard to press if at all while moving and suff or is it just a placement issue with my keybindings. I noticed almost evryone has heir rotation setup from the t1 t2 t3 t4 etc and not how I have mines set up around the w a s d keys is there a reason for that? If you could answer any of those questions and/or post your ret key bindings set up I would greatly appeciate it.

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 03:22 AM ----------

Bump. Any questions answered will be very helpful. Thanks

I find it helpful to use the mouse up for Judgment and mouse down for Crusader Strike. Other than that, you can also keybind ` (the key next to 1) to rebuke as it's a lot easier to hit when you have a limited amount of time to think and look for whatever key you bound it to. Maybe getting a 5-button+ mouse might help you as well since you'd be able to bind the buttons on the side for easier access.

I don't really see why you'd have trouble hitting Q after A... I guess it's all about practice? Maybe try disabling the option that lets you click on your abilities and run Hellfire Ramparts or any other dungeon while you get used to your keybindings.

Also to answer your question, people play in different ways... Some keybind their main abilities to 1-5 and others prefer having them around WASD. If you're having too much trouble using the keys around WASD, you could always just click on some of your abilities... just do whatever you have fun doing.

Good luck!
    <3
    Class: Alli Priest
    Spec: Holy/ Shadow
    Horde Alts @ 85: Mage, Lock, DK, Paladin

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorade View Post
    Hey I have comeh ere to get some advice on key bindings. I was formaly what you guys call a "clicker" and looking to maximize my gameplay with key bindings but had a few questions. I have read numerous threads on key bindings and there is no right way of doing it besides what you feel comfortable with which is how I set my bindings up but I've been having a few problems. I have my rotation around my w a s d keys for easy acess which is not a problem when I'm just hitting on a dummy but problems occur when I start actual fights. For instance if I'm strafing left and my next key spell is say holy wrath which I have bound to q I find it very hard to press as my ring finger is alrdy on the a key. Is it normal with key bindings in certain cituations that you just will have buttons that are very hard to press if at all while moving and suff or is it just a placement issue with my keybindings. I noticed almost evryone has heir rotation setup from the t1 t2 t3 t4 etc and not how I have mines set up around the w a s d keys is there a reason for that? If you could answer any of those questions and/or post your ret key bindings set up I would greatly appeciate it.

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 03:22 AM ----------

Bump. Any questions answered will be very helpful. Thanks
    If you have ever played an FPS Counter Strike or Quake etc you should log back into one of them and check your key binds. All of my bindings mimic how I played FPS games. I have never used 1-5 for DPS abilities as I never used them for anything in the FPS games I played. If you felt good playing an FPS find those bindings and set wow up around them and you will feel better about DPS movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Deleted
    just reset all your keybinds, and fit them all around wasd, so they are easy to reach etc, i did this myself and it helped alot

My highest priority abilities are bound 1-6 with various utilities bound Alt1-Alt6. Only a few odds and ends are around the WASD, and I swap out the abilities on Alt1-Alt6 depending on the fight. That said, try some bindings and practice them on a training dummy. If they are too much of a stress on your muscle memory or if they feel counterintuitive, then you know to change them up a bit. There's no correct way to bind your abilities. Even the size of your keys, shape of your keyboard, or the length of your fingers will affect your choices.
    You know that pandas eat bamboo, there. They love the bamboo. You get, eh, you get a panda? And you got a bamboo in your backyard? It'll ruin it. Right? You got bamboo furniture? Well, uh, well, pandas go nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the key binds I know off the top of my head, A S D F G R T Z X C V (Shift and Ctrl for each of those aswell) 33 binds right there, F1 through to F5.

with the numbers I only use 1-5 and rarely 6. 1-5 are my main attacks or my "mashable" keys
    A S D are generally my stuns/cc's
    X is generally my flash healer
    G WoG
    ` Rebuke

etc etc and then a shift/Ctrl for each of those for the focus macro's/party bubble/heals etc. But seeing as you're new to binds,
    try simply A S D F G ` and using Q W E for walking/strafing if you don't use your mouse yet and then slowly get more and more binds like Z X C etc as you feel more comfortable using binds

Also get used to walking with the mouse, if you do that it means you've got your whole hand free on the key board and don't need to hold any keys down

Retribution Paladin?

Keybinds: Face + Keyboard + Roll = DPS

That wouldn't actually work for a ret pally

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    Retribution Paladin?

The Arcane Mage forum is that way ->
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornar View Post
    Retribution Paladin?

Haven't heard that one before.

Here's my setup:

ESDF for movement. Why one would use WASD baffles me, since ESDF puts you in reach of more of the keyboard, and gets your index finder on the F key's bump. Shift+ESDF does turning for me, which is obviously not used in combat but can be convenient when I'm flying around and am holding a beer or whatever.

My main combat abilities are bound to 2-5, R, T, V, G,W, and C, and Shift+ all of those buttons. 6, 7, Q and Y get used for utility spells and things I cast once in awhile. 8-0 are for buffs or things I don't cast in combat.

I play on a lot of alts, and assign buttons "themes" to help me recall what goes where. For example "W" is an AOE button - on my Ret it does HW and Shift-W for Cons, Thunderclap/Shockwave on Warrior, Frost Nova/Blizzard on mage, etc. "C" is interrupts, G is for offensive CDs, so on and so forth. You can't stay 100% consistent on that between different classes and specs, but it makes things easier.

Thnx for all the replies but still curious on something. As I said I currently have my spells bound around my WASD keys and say for example im strafing left which is my A key and my ring finger is pressing it and my holy wrath is bound to the Q key which is next filler spell I find it very hard to press the Q key while strafing left. I find myself having to stop strafing left for a sec to hit the Q key which isnt always viable if im moving away or out of something, Is that a common problem with other people?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorade View Post
    Thnx for all the replies but still curious on something. As I said I currently have my spells bound around my WASD keys and say for example im strafing left which is my A key and my ring finger is pressing it and my holy wrath is bound to the Q key which is next filler spell I find it very hard to press the Q key while strafing left. I find myself having to stop strafing left for a sec to hit the Q key which isnt always viable if im moving away or out of something, Is that a common problem with other people?
    With practice you can eliminate this. The best advice that has helped many people I know who were clickers/keyboard turners was to spend a weekend pvping using the new keybinds.

As for unintentional key pressing I personally dont have a problem with this since ive been playing for so long. I use my ring,middle and index for mashing, my pinkie for my macro modifiers and my thumb is only used for jumping. I do have auto run bound to a side button on my mouse that i can use with right click camera control for movement if im mashing my cooldown macro and I suddenly need to move.

Deleted
    Straf with A & D, move with W & S

Q : Judgement
    E : Crusader Strike

Shift+Q : Consecration
    Shift+W : Hammer of Wrath
    Shift + E : Holy Wrath

Shift+A : Templar's Verdict
    Shift+S : Exorcism
    Shift+D : Divine Storm
    F : bind with Opie (Aura & Blessings)

1 : HealthStone
    2 : Holy Radiance
    3 : Divine Protection

The others are on my Logitech MX518 mouse

Take advice from an arena ret (since tbc)
    This might help you:

WASDQWE = movement. Dont screw with this.

`Arcane torrent
    1 Crusader strike
    2 Exorcism
    3 TVerdict
    4 Judge
    5 Hammer of Pew Pew
    6 Flash of light
    alt1 WOG
    alt2 Hammer of Stunxor
    alt3 Free for binding

f Rebuke
    g Inquisition
    r Freedom
    Shift-F Repent
    t Trinket
    y Divine shield
    c Cleanse
    shift-c I cant remember... but I use it
    v WINGS!

alt~ WOG on target ally

Still can't remember a few. but as you can see, those can all be done with 1 hand easily on a standard keyboard. Stay away from anything shift or alt beyond 3. If it's too hard to reach, don't bind it.

I find that in general, in pvp, regardless of what the cooldown is... if it's a crucial ability that needs to be played immediately, put it on the easiest shit you can hit at the last fraction of a second. Despite popular belief, if you're a good Retribution paladin, your keyboard is going to be a ****ing mess. People that say it's a faceroll are just playing against shitties who pop wings/wrath hammer and don't do anything for the remainder of the game.

I hope this helps!