Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Static Cling woes

Hi Folks,

So anyway, heres my story, I'm doing Heroic VP on my Resto Druid, we get to the final boss, and nearly everyone but me is eating Static Cling every time and getting locked in place, thus eating the storm and dying because they cannot reach the Grounding Field.

My Druid is currently specced for raiding 10 mans and we have a Holy paladin, so I do not pick up the Nature's Cure talent in favor of greater HoT throughput and am thus unable to dispel Magic. Because of this, the group starting raging at me for not dispelling Cling and not having the talent etc. I returned with that if they simply jump when Static Cling is being applied they could avoid it altogether, not to mention that dispelling 4 of them everytime Static Cling goes off would run me out of mana extremely quick anyway. Short story shorter, they cursed me out a whole bunch after a couple wipes then votekicked me, as I felt unwilling to go spend gold and respec for these guys, especially after the way they were acting towards me. A couple were even completely denying that you could avoid Static Cling by jumping, saying I just shapeshifted to avoid it. /facepalm

Anyway, what do you guys think, while running 5 mans is it my responsibility to absolutely have Nature's Cure, even if stuff like Static Cling can be avoided by paying attention? I haven't run into anything else yet that just completely wipes the group because I can't dispel, I'm always able to heal through other debuffs, so I'm leaning towards just chalking it up to the group being pretty incompetent and simply blaming me cause they couldn't figure out how to jump at the right time.

That's part of why I love being a warrior. Even if I miss the jump, Intervene saves the day.

OT: Yeah, it's kinda the healer's job to pick up the strays in this situation. Is it really worth the wipe? It's only 1 talent point for a huge advantage in almost any situation.
    Last edited by blackangel209; 2011-07-22 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Honestly, I think every healer should pick up these talents. Even if your paladin has the talent in your 10 man group, that means that when dispels are needed, your putting all the pressure on him/her. Pick up the talent and share the load and better yet, when you run into 5 mans you'll be able to avoid stuff like this too.

Granted I don't really know how resto druids spec, not spending 1 talent point to get magic dispel is pretty fail imo. What if your holy paladin raider dies and you have dispel?

Eh, you can't really rely on jumping with that fight. I'm a good player but there's still times when I missed the jump, latency can be a problem for that sometimes.

You were the one that would have been able to overcome the problem with a simple dispel, but you refused, so I probably would have kicked you too. Unless you had someone else who had dispel without having to spec for it, they should have been doing it even if they were the tank or dps.

Everyone is wrong.

You're wrong because you're running 5-mans with an inappropriate build. They're wrong for laying all the blame on you for something that is 100% their responsibility to avoid.

Situations like this are why LFG is often such a social cesspool. Everyone wants to be the hero of their own story, but in reality, most people are too stupid and selfish to be heroes.

On the one hand: It's totally avoidable and not your fault

On the other hand: you really should have dispel for heroics (and in general)

On the other one hand: it's lolroics and you shouldn't have to grab a spec for them

In conclusion: these are your pros and cons to weigh, not mine

If you decdie to run without a magic dispell your bound to take abuse in 5 mans for letting people die. Sure they could have jumped but chances are at some point sooner or later they will get hit by one its not easy to avoid em all. Running without that talent will make 5 mans a bigger pain for you. Running VP without a guild grp will make your life a living hell you cant expect 4 random people to avoid all the clings.

Also no its not fail when it comes to 10 man raiding looking at rshaman and rdruid specs talent points can mean the difference between a kill and a wipe when your progressing if your hpal dies and br is on CD your already close to wiping.
    Pretend this is a amazing sig with my character holding an legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Hi Folks,

So anyway, heres my story, I'm doing Heroic VP on my Resto Druid, we get to the final boss, and nearly everyone but me is eating Static Cling every time and getting locked in place, thus eating the storm and dying because they cannot reach the Grounding Field.

My Druid is currently specced for raiding 10 mans and we have a Holy paladin, so I do not pick up the Nature's Cure talent in favor of greater HoT throughput and am thus unable to dispel Magic. Because of this, the group starting raging at me for not dispelling Cling and not having the talent etc. I returned with that if they simply jump when Static Cling is being applied they could avoid it altogether, not to mention that dispelling 4 of them everytime Static Cling goes off would run me out of mana extremely quick anyway. Short story shorter, they cursed me out a whole bunch after a couple wipes then votekicked me, as I felt unwilling to go spend gold and respec for these guys, especially after the way they were acting towards me. A couple were even completely denying that you could avoid Static Cling by jumping, saying I just shapeshifted to avoid it. /facepalm

Anyway, what do you guys think, while running 5 mans is it my responsibility to absolutely have Nature's Cure, even if stuff like Static Cling can be avoided by paying attention? I haven't run into anything else yet that just completely wipes the group because I can't dispel, I'm always able to heal through other debuffs, so I'm leaning towards just chalking it up to the group being pretty incompetent and simply blaming me cause they couldn't figure out how to jump at the right time.
    What you do is you link the achievement for not getting hit with Static Cling, then ask them how to get it if it has to be dispelled. Then you /rofl at them, call them baddies, and take your 3 minute queue elsewhere.

You cant heal stupid, but if you're doing LFD runs, you better be spec't to start attempting to heal stupid, i.e. picking up magic dispel.

They should pay attention more and actually learn to jump when they are supposed to. It is a bit strange coming across a druid in 5 mans who doesn't have that talent though, which is why they probably raged at you. It can be a bit mana draining to dispel all of those people because they can't jump (if you're doing 10 mans assuming you have T11 you should be fine though). I'm curious as to why if you're raiding 10 mans you wouldn't be trying to get valor points from ZA/ZG rather than the lower tier heroics though.

They were really bad, simple as that. They obviously didn't know the mechanics of the fight. You shouldn't have to specifically spec into that talent just to bail them out from being bad. Even if you had that talent, you shouldn't have to waste your mana to dispel them. I've been in groups in the past where people literally refused to jump to avoid it because they knew I could dispel and made me drain my mana because they were too lazy. After about 2 static clings I mentioned it and if they didn't jump (or at least attempt to jump), I let them die. I wasn't going to waste my mana and not be able to heal.

However, I personally feel as a Resto Druid I *should* absolutely have that talent. In my eyes, it's a no brainer but I like to have more utility. This is coming from someone who exclusively raids 25 mans so we have tons of dispels. I just feel it makes my life a lot easier outside of raids and I can still help dispel in raids as well.
    Last edited by Melodi; 2011-07-22 at 09:22 PM.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

10+ Year Old Account
    even the best players will something get stuck in a static cling because they miss a jump, latency, cat jumping in their face irl,...
    i know druids aint the best dispellers but u should really take the talent. while the paladin in ur guild is probally way better in dispelling, wiping because the paladin dies and you are unable to dispell sucks tbh, unless you guys are so pro you never die, ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd gladly pass on spending that talent point in Improved Cleanse Spirit (that's the shamy version of magic dispel) in favour of a fully specced Ancestral Awakening, but... well... it would be pretty fail. Even if I'm usually not required to dispell, it's good to know that I 'could' dispell someone who failed the Smash at Ragnaros or the kick at Alysrazor or the most noobish little thing in a 5-man. Dispelling just removes sooo much damage from the equation.

That's the problem when you have bad healers AND bad DPS in the same group. Generally speaking if you have good DPS who know what to do the healer can be rubbish. If you have good healer DPS can be rubbish. If you have both rubbish healer and rubbish DPS then it's a wipe as OP found out.

It's a mandatory talent for 5 and 10 mans, and I strongly suggest speccing it for 25 man also.
    You can think about skipping it in 25 mans, but in 10 mans it's pretty fail. If the paladin dies and someone has to dispell? If he disconnects? If he is silenced and needs to be dispelled?
    The game is balanced around every healer being able to dispell magic (thats the reason why they changed the debuffs/dispells with 4.0).

That doesn't excuse the group's failure of not being able to jump at the right time.

If you're running content where you'd be expected to dispel, you need to be able to dispel. If you're not willing to spec properly, you need to notify the group if it could end up being a problem in your random heroic.

Yes, they should be able to avoid it. No, that doesn't mean that I'm on your side.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

If there was a priest in that group, they should have levitate on them when his static cling cast bar pops up. A paladin should have hand of freedom up, and when he casts it when HoF is on cd, they should jump. Personally, they were bad for not paying attention and just tunnel-visioning their damage meter addon. And really, I think magic dispel should be one of those things given to you when you choose the healing spec at level 10.

Anyway, what do you guys think, while running 5 mans is it my responsibility to absolutely have Nature's Cure, even if stuff like Static Cling can be avoided by paying attention?
    Short answer yes, long answer no:

It's your *responsibility* to play your toon the best of your ability; it sounds crazy, but even entry level heros (never mind ZA/ZG) are over tuned, a raid-build actually can fail in hero, speaking as a huntard.

if no one else has a dispel, it's always gonna be your fault for que-ing as heals...

Ok, thanks for the replies, I'll go ahead and sacrifice 2% hot throughput for it. I was going off the spec provided on the druid forums here but should have realized they're intended for exclusively min/max raid situations and I'm still doing quite a few 5 mans on my druid, so the utility is probably needed, avoidable debuffs or not.

My Druid is currently specced for raiding 10 mans and we have a Holy paladin, so I do not pick up the Nature's Cure talent in favor of greater HoT throughput and am thus unable to dispel Magic.
    you are wrong for not speccing into dispels. you raid in a 10m yet don't pick it up? if you were in a 25m raid, I would understand as you have more healers to back up dispels. but in 10m, there's usually only 2-3 heals and if one dies, how will you dispel if it's needed?
    a loss in 2% hot throughput is worth saving your raid from a wipe.

also, you should not be going oom in h vp, even if you had to dispel everyone every time static cling happened. if you raid, you should have no problems with mana in normal heroics.

but yes, your pug was wrong for failing to jump/avoid static cling. most people still don't realize it isn't wrath anymore, you can't just plow through countless trash mobs and ignore mechanics.