Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Destro and why people complain when it is used!

The other day i was in a ZA run and the first thing the tank says is " Lock, you running destro"? I immediately stated for him not to say a thing and for him to watch and learn. During the first boss i was able to do over 18k dps. His replay was that i was a beast. The second boss i got over 22k dps. The third boss was less with only 14k, and that was due to having to SS a fallen victim and having to be the only one to kill a hatcher. We did not make the timer but the next boss i was able to pull over 17k dps and on draakar( probably misspelled), i was still able to grab a 19k dps score. Overall data showed me at around 18k. I know destro is not the most desired spec at the moment, but i really enjoy it and i have really gotten good at it. I have tried Affliction and demo but i just do not feel comfortable with them as i do destro.
    My question is: should i go Affliction or demo for the sake of others or do i play what i like? I have cleared BWD with no issues and no comments for anyone until here recently. I catch folks all the time asking me why i am destro and i simply reply," i like a challenge" To me that is what destro is, a challenge.
    Is my dps still low? Am i one of the only ones that love and think they do well with destro? Do i really need to go affliction? This is an argument i have seen all the time here on MMO and EJ and etc. Just trying to get some opinions before i move forward in my decision.

Thanks for the tips and or concerns.

Wardemon
    Last edited by Wardemon; 2011-07-23 at 08:47 PM.

Play what you like. The only time you should ever forsake this is if you are in a progression guild and the situation calls for you to switch specs.

All 3 specs are completely viable in almost every situation, each can shine extremely well if the player behind it enjoys it / knows it well. Enjoy your time running as destro.
    Kiyu - TG
    http://gimpedguild.org

h
    ttp://www.justin.tv/kiyuulive - Warlock PoV

if anyone else tells you you too stop playing destro yust slap them with youre imp

Deleted
    Yes affliction and demo are ahead of destuction in sims.

But the reality is you will play better with what you are comfortable with. Anybody who disregards destro is stupid, I've used it in heroic firelands for shear utility. Bane of Havoc, Shadowfury, Nether Protection are all amazing talents and should not be overlooked.

play what you like ,i cant work out my warlock( only 45 though) but yeah man just aslong as you pull 11-12k dps in zul's your fine, blizzard is doing a good job of making everything viable in pve

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for 5 mans destruction is better IMO, affliction is worst because of the ramp up time. And Demo only really shines if there's alot of aoe in 5mans.

For raids I would run with demo or affliction, because then destruction is a bit to far behind I would say.

i'm pulling 32-35k dps as affliction with BL on the first boss ZA.
    Armory
    posting your armory too would help

10+ Year Old Account
    Simulations show that Afflic and Demo come out ahead of Destor, thats just a fact of numbers. Of course player ability etc is going to influence how people perform.

In wotlk there hit a gear level where Destro was the top build so it might return at some point here in Cata.

What I would say is that the Paragon 10M Heroic and 25M Heroic kill had three Warlocks running Afflic, Destro and Demo.

Whilst the logs arnt readily available word on a few forums is that the destro lock was bursting meters.

This however is relative to a skilled player, who realisticly should be able to do well with any spec. I'd say go with what you enjoy and are comfortable with. If you run serious raiding however you should run with the spec that will be most beneficial for the raid group in terms of buff and your assignment, AKA, DPS.

However if you dont raid, or your raiding guild isnt pushing progression or serious raiding, work with what you like and feel comfy with. You will probably do more DPS in destro in a comfy spec rather then a spec your not comfortable with and have to learn.

I personally just found Destro like a poor mans fire mage, and went with Afflic, and it so happens that its now the top spec. I have Demo offspec which I'm currently trying to get more comfy with to use in 5mans in carry raiding groups to give more buffs

10+ Year Old Account
    While i am not a serious raider yet, my guild sure is. I was able to get this toon into BWD with them and they were impressed with how well i played my spec and etc. So next week i get to move into firelands. At this time i am in the process of learning Affliction as best as i can. If there is one thing i took from this thread, and that is to make sure i understand all 3 specs very well so that the raid gets the most from me. In the end though, Destro is where its at.

Thanks for all ur guys advice

Wardemon

PS Will not let me post a link to armory due to this being my first thread, so i guess i have to wait but if ya wanna look at it, please go to the armory and look for WÅrdemon-Terenas server, alliance human, Offtime guild

Let me put it this way personally, mind you this is MY OPINION.

Usually when you see a large group of a certain spec such as Destruction, Fury and Arcane it is the top spec and does the "most damage" but that is not the case today.... Demonology and Affliction warlocks do more damage than destruction, Arms does more damage than Fury and Fire does more damage on any fight that has 1 add or more and pulls ahead of arcane a lot better than arcane does.
    That or they play whatever is easiest which are the three specs I listed.

The other reason it pisses me off is because they are taking the "easy" way out and do not stray from the herd, I know very few people who actually enjoy playing Arcane, I know a couple that like Destruction and Fury is boring compared to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Asuza View Post
    Play what you like. The only time you should ever forsake this is if you are in a progression guild and the situation calls for you to switch specs.

All 3 specs are completely viable in almost every situation, each can shine extremely well if the player behind it enjoys it / knows it well. Enjoy your time running as destro.
    best answer...
    and better when coupled with slap 'em with yer imp
    You can't have Manslaughter without the Laughter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavemaker View Post
    I know very few people who actually enjoy playing Arcane
    How many have you asked? Your sample size is probably far too small.

Deleted
    Just play whatever you like.
    People cant tell you what to do, right?

To be honest, who cares what they say?

I'll play destruction on any fight I see fit. In my opinion, it offers quite a bit more utility to the raid than affliction. In fact, Heroic Beth'tilac is a great fight this tier where destruction is great!

In the end, play what you are comfortable and do what you want. If you pay the $15 for your monthly fee, you can do whatever you want <3

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played all three specs, was heavy afflic/demo in wrath, went heavy destro at the start of Cata and really loved it. Since 4.2, we have about 4 full time raiding locks in my guild, and they're all mainly Afflic. One has a demo spec for aoe fights, and he's quite skilled at it. I've since tried out demo, but can't seem to pull the numbers except for in pure aoe situations. Maybe it's the gear, I hear that demo favors mastery, and my gearset is set up for destro, so no mastery. However, I do play Afflic more now, but have a hard time doing any good aoe damage with that spec. Destro just seems the most comfortable to me, a good balance of single target and aoe damage. And the utility of Nether ward and Bane of Havoc is a plus. I haven't had any negative comments directed towards me because I play destro, but hey, to each their own, right? I play what I find to be the best fit for me, and change depending on what the raid needs. Granted, I do more damage as afflic than destro.....

At present our raid is running four locks >< - I'd prefer a little more variety, but they're great players who're consistently well up on dps so we take them. The dps split does come down to Afflic > Demo > Destro, virtually regardless of which of them is playing what spec, but the destro damage is still competitive and in some circumstances is quite convenient from raid comp perspective (i.e. Shadowfury on Beth'tilac and Nether Protection on Baleroc).

Play what you're good at. But I do value the fact that all my locks have a competitive alternate spec (demo for the aff & destro locks, destro for the demo lock), so provided you don't loathe it too much I would recommend keeping your alternatives open.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a perfect world all DPS specs and classes would be as balanced as each other so the choice would be merely down to which one you like, enjoyed and felt cofortable with and had fun with.

Unfortunately in a raiding eviroment its typically required that you take the spec that is being the most productive in terms of DPS output.

Deleted
    Well, I would like to say some cool stuff about this spec.

First, you got Incinerate which is by far THE COOLEST SPELL in all wow.
    Second, Empowered Imp is awesome.
    Third, instead of chaneling Drain Soul for Soul Shards you got Shadowburn which is instant but you must know when to use it.
    Fourth, Destro is awesome since you will always be going by the ABC rule (Always Be Casting).
    Fifth, rotation is way better than before.
    Sixth, whoever is whining about Destro is someone that can not handle destro (I am not attacking anyone and certainly not pointing at anyone)
    And,
    Seventh, Play what you like the most

I never liked any other spec like I like Destruction on my warlock. But, I did change to demo and affliction sometime in the past coz I was asked to. And, I still pwn my guildmates simply coz Warlocks are a pure DPS class and u can not compare hybrid classes with with pure DPS classes. And, therefore they all shut up and I am back to Destruction.

Whoever tells u Affliction is better DPS or Demonology is better then believe them coz it's true. But, not coz they can play those specs better they can judge on your performance at all. Demonology and Destruction might have the same or a small change in reforging. When it comes to Affliction it's totally different. If you know what to do with your spec you don't need MMO-Champions, EJ, or even the greatest warlock in the world to tell you that you need to change your spec. Look at Arcane Mages they got the shittiest rotation ever but hey they are having fun.

One last thing to say. Though, it's not a valid point for PvErs:

Boneshock - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP
    Viscus - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP
    Drakedog - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP
    Adouken - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP

These guys could've gotten other specs for their gear ... But, no they progressed in Arenas while being Destro. The same thing applies in PvE since I started raiding with my guild I have always been Destruction PvE and always on the top.

Our setup is:

Destrolock (Me), Moonkin, Feral Cat, Hunter, Rouge, Arms Warrior, Fire Mage, Arcane Mage, Demolock, Afflilock, RetriPala, Fury Warrior, Shadow Priest, EleShaman, Enhancement Shaman.

And, I still own them. I am not saying they are bad players. But, it's however you see yourself performing in the raid. And, however you deal with things around you and see your class fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    People complain. About everything. Nothing new.

---------- Post added 2011-07-25 at 07:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stygianis View Post
    Well, I would like to say some cool stuff about this spec.

First, you got Incinerate which is by far THE COOLEST SPELL in all wow.
    Second, Empowered Imp is awesome.
    Third, instead of chaneling Drain Soul for Soul Shards you got Shadowburn which is instant but you must know when to use it.
    Fourth, Destro is awesome since you will always be going by the ABC rule (Always Be Casting).
    Fifth, rotation is way better than before.
    Sixth, whoever is whining about Destro is someone that can not handle destro (I am not attacking anyone and certainly not pointing at anyone)
    And,
    Seventh, Play what you like the most

I never liked any other spec like I like Destruction on my warlock. But, I did change to demo and affliction sometime in the past coz I was asked to. And, I still pwn my guildmates simply coz Warlocks are a pure DPS class and u can not compare hybrid classes with with pure DPS classes. And, therefore they all shut up and I am back to Destruction.

Whoever tells u Affliction is better DPS or Demonology is better then believe them coz it's true. But, not coz they can play those specs better they can judge on your performance at all. Demonology and Destruction might have the same or a small change in reforging. When it comes to Affliction it's totally different. If you know what to do with your spec you don't need MMO-Champions, EJ, or even the greatest warlock in the world to tell you that you need to change your spec. Look at Arcane Mages they got the shittiest rotation ever but hey they are having fun.

One last thing to say. Though, it's not a valid point for PvErs:

Boneshock - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP
    Viscus - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP
    Drakedog - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP
    Adouken - Undead Destruction Warlock PVP

These guys could've gotten other specs for their gear ... But, no they progressed in Arenas while being Destro. The same thing applies in PvE since I started raiding with my guild I have always been Destruction PvE and always on the top.

Our setup is:

Destrolock (Me), Moonkin, Feral Cat, Hunter, Rouge, Arms Warrior, Fire Mage, Arcane Mage, Demolock, Afflilock, RetriPala, Fury Warrior, Shadow Priest, EleShaman, Enhancement Shaman.

And, I still own them. I am not saying they are bad players. But, it's however you see yourself performing in the raid. And, however you deal with things around you and see your class fit.
    What fights? I'm curious. The hybrid/pure argument is no longer valid. There are classes and specs that are going to beat an equally skilled and geared destro lock. Destro just doesn't have the ability to perform on some fights. So if you're "pwning" an affliction lock on Beth, Shannox, Alysrazor, Ryolith, then they aren't playing optimally. Or you could just post some logs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    People complain. About everything. Nothing new.

---------- Post added 2011-07-25 at 07:45 AM ----------

What fights? I'm curious. The hybrid/pure argument is no longer valid. There are classes and specs that are going to beat an equally skilled and geared destro lock. Destro just doesn't have the ability to perform on some fights. So if you're "pwning" an affliction lock on Beth, Shannox, Alysrazor, Ryolith, then they aren't playing optimally. Or you could just post some logs.
    Agree with the last, I mean I *love* destruction and have played it more or less non stop since vanilla. But now in our last Firelands clear this reset I went affliction all fights except for.. the birdy I think ( I wasn't flying ). And even tho I am not used to playing the spec, I only had some target dummy sessions, I did better in dps on all fights. Actually topping dps on Staghelm and coming in second on ragnaros, whereas I was happy to get in the top 7 with destruction.

So yeah if you beat equally geared affliction locks.. they are just not playing that well unfortunately :/

on a sidenote unless your guild lets you go reforge and regem/enchant in between encounters it's more or less impossible to have demonology as second spec nowadays unfortunately
    Last edited by mmocdde1af79be; 2011-07-25 at 08:39 AM.