Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyone use an NVIDIA GTX 580 graphics card?

I need to compare Frame Rates with someone who uses an NVIDIA GTX 580.
    What are your FPS in a capitol city (In World of Warcraft of course) during peak hours on ultra settings? What is your connection speed in Mb/s?

I'm asking this because the primary PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot on my motherboard came DOA but the secondary x16 slot was functioning so I placed my GTX 580 there. However, I've recently realized that although it is a x16 slot, the graphics card is being run at x8 and I would like to know if I am gimping myself by a lot or only by a small margin. By the way, I run a 7-18 Mb/s internet connection speed and get roughly 30-40 FPS in Orgrimmar during peak hours on ultra settings.

Edit: I am on the Burning Blade - US realm. Population is normally high during peak hours plus it is a horde dominant realm.

For other hardware specs I run:
    Intel i7 2600 3.4-3.8GHz Quad Core CPU
    16GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
    6Gb/s HDD
    24" LCD HD monitor

Does using the graphics card at x8 instead of x16 going to affect my overall performance if all I am doing is MMOs like WoW/SWTOR/etc?

(If this is not the correct forum please forgive me and move it to the correct forum.)
    Last edited by deperte; 2011-07-23 at 03:34 PM.

I believe tests have been done that show that the difference between running any current GPU in x16 mode vs x8 mode is within the margin of error for the tests (i.e., there's not much of a difference in FPS) That said, running a 2500k at 4.7GHz and my GTX 580 (WoW relies more on CPU power, especially in crowded cities like Org), I get ~45-50FPS on full ultra (55-60FPS with shadows turned down) So your framerates don't look that off considering my server isn't very high population, and (I assume) your CPU isn't overclocked.

Deleted
    First and foremost, 30-40 fps is a bit on the low end with your setup, seen as if I crank my game up to FULL ultra (shadows included) I get around 50-60. It could of course be that your server is more crowded.

Do a benchmark and compare your score with other 580 users and see what comes up. 3DMark is to recommend.

Further, you should replace your MoBo just for the sake of the DOA. I don't think the 8x vs the 16x should have any effect on the speed, as the card can't utilize the full bandwidth anyway, but I'm not sure.

Great to know! thanks for the quick reply. I've been pulling my hair out because of the money i dumped into building this beast. By the way, what is your internet connection speed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deperte View Post
    Great to know! thanks for the quick reply. I've been pulling my hair out because of the money i dumped into building this beast. By the way, what is your internet connection speed?
    WoW is not really optimized to take full advantage of a beast system. WoW's engine is old and relies heavily on processing power. You're more likely to see improvements on other games then WoW.

Deleted
    At home I've got a 24Mbps connection, WiFi unfortunately, resulting in something around 4-8Mb/sec.

Anyway, do a benchmark and compare. That's the best way to see if your rig is acting like it should.

My internet's something like ~20Mb/s, "1"Mb/s upload (more like 0.5Mb/s most of the time)

But, like Marest said, getting the Mobo replaced would be a good idea in case you ever need that first x16 slot

I'm using an GTX 580 Phantom and I'm playing everygames with really high FPS Crysis 2 with DX11 high res pack etc 120+ FPS
    An Karanir Thanagor, Mor Ok Angalor, Mor Ok Gorum Palahm Raval!

How do I do a benchmark???

Deleted
    http://www.futuremark.com/

Download the free version of 3DMark 11 and run the benchmark. Upload the results and see how your computer compares to similar setups. If all is well, there should be a green box saying something like "Your Score is Comparable to Similar Systems".

Like so: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1546640;jsessionid=xv4nrax0y7xd?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F1546640%3Fkey%3DKXKpJqwJqjSJ WZ5tJAbthhpLdFFa0B

You can also further see how your score represents your hardware's "supposed" performance by clicking "Tips on Improving Your Score".
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-07-23 at 03:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Unfortunately, that's often wrong since you end up getting all the people who have access to crazy cooling and thus overclock like mad skewing the results. It listed my ~16200 score for 3DM11 as "low for my system". It doesn't consider clock speeds in this assumption, just raw hardware and the score.
    Seems fairly good to me as a first place to check how your performance relates, like so: http://3dmark.com/healthcheck/3dm11/1546640 Never claimed it to be 100% accurate, just that it's a good place to start.

Edit: Yours isn't that far off either: http://3dmark.com/healthcheck/3dm11/1490728
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-07-23 at 04:01 PM.

Atm just 1680*1050 becasue my damn Monitor does not handle more <.<
    An Karanir Thanagor, Mor Ok Angalor, Mor Ok Gorum Palahm Raval!

Going to be asked what should of been asked first - You got the most recent drivers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Minka View Post
    Atm just 1680*1050 becasue my damn Monitor does not handle more <.<
    I really doubt you get 120+ fps unless there's something seriously wrong with my system. I just tried using your resolution and got anything between 45-68 fps in an open area. Using a gtx 580 (overclocked to 885 core, 2100 memory) in combination with an i5 2500k (stock speeds). Are you sure you have the ultra textures enabled in the advanced settings?

I just ran that 3Dmark tool. It said my score is low BUT its within the range that the majority of users are in (roughly 60%+) so I guess I am ok.

Deleted
    I just ran that 3Dmark tool. It said my score is low BUT its within the range that the majority of users are in (roughly 60%+) so I guess I am ok.
    Link it and we will help you.

/3dm11/1562067;jsessionid=n0qd1wugxvr9?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F1562067%3Fkey%3D98sZWTHsQrAQ 5ZR7wqx62DmYVNq3AA

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 04:47 PM ----------

i cant include the

3dmark
    dot com

i havent posted enough times yet

Deleted
    /3dm11/1562067;jsessionid=n0qd1wugxvr9?show_ads=true&page=%2F3dm11%2F1562067%3Fkey%3D98sZWTHsQrAQ 5ZR7wqx62DmYVNq3AA

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 04:47 PM ----------

i cant include the

3dmark
    dot com

i havent posted enough times yet
    Looking here: http://3dmark.com/healthcheck/3dm11/1562067 I would say spontaneously that your GPU isn't performing optionally and I would recommend you to replace your MoBo for starters. Otherwise it doesn't look "bad" and your rig seems to be performing as it should.

Still. That MoBo. Replace it. You should get a product that performs like you suspect it to, and not have some features "broken".

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohh that's a nifty feature (The health check) lol... I didn't even pay attention to it before.

http://3dmark.com/healthcheck/3dm11/1562136

Yay my score is perfectly normal
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

I cant remember the command. But in wow there is a specific command you do at certain flight points. That will fly you from on point to another, and record lowest frame rates, and highest. While showing real time. /test frames or something. Maybe someone can chime in.

Also, like said. WoW is more of a CPU game. So, if you are comfortable, have the proper cooling and capable. You'll get more out of overclocking your cpu.