Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Humans are officially related to neanderthal

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43866502/ns/technology_and_science-science/

D
    na from neanderthals is now official in humans. 9% of the people from europe, asia, asia minor, america, and australia carry genes from them. More specifically, 1-4% of the genome is from neanderthal. And there is no trace in africans, so contrary to racism and stereotypes and all that bad stuff, keep in mind that neanderthal had inferior intellect to cro-magnon/homo-sapien(which we are directly descended from and currently are respectively).

While logic would have stated there was indeed interracial breeding, there is now official evidence.

And, well... the more you know!

10+ Year Old Account
    Many modern-day humans may be carrying around a fragment of Neanderthal DNA on one of their sex chromosomes, a new study finds.
    Many modern-day humans may be carrying around a fragment of Neanderthal DNA on one of their sex chromosomes, a new study finds.

MAY

Officially, huh? :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Judging by present day, I don't think much of the inferior intellect thing got passed on....

Actually I'm not sure WHAT has remained of the neaderthals in us. With the inferior intellect they also possesed admirable physical sturdiness. Which also has disappeared somwhere obviously.

Aaaaand cue religious flame-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathas View Post
    MAY

Officially, huh? :P
    Nothing scientific is absolute. Like gravity. And reality.

Deleted
    To be honest I find your logic to be flawed, we all share a common ancestor as we are all homo-sapien. None of us are Neanderthal. BUT... I would put it to you that the 9% of the world population (I'm presuming you mean the caucasian subsection) that has mixed genes are actually strengthened by this because of the slight increase in variation of stock, and that the difference in intelligence is irrelevant (its been suggested that Neanderthal weren't Less intelligent per-sé just that their intelligence was based around a different evolutionary path due to the difference in environment) and more akin to the difference in intelligence between a physicist and a doctor - i.e both intelligent but with different skills. So 'inferior' is a very loaded term to use and you would be very unwise to think along such linear lines.

Granted though I'm very interested by the information, and if true - I'm rather proud of it if I am in fact included in this 9%.
    Last edited by mmoc9887845ce4; 2011-07-24 at 05:43 AM. Reason: silly code appeared when i posted :P

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they were part of the same genus. and their 'intellect' wasnt that inferior, homa sapein had something they didn't... cunning
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    Judging by present day, I don't think much of the inferior intellect thing got passed on....
    Judging by present day, I would say we show more and more of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly being part neanderthal is a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I learned this from cracked some time back. Extremely interesting subject, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Astarte View Post
    To be honest I find your logic to be flawed, we all share a common ancestor as we are all homo-sapien. None of us are Neanderthal. BUT... I would put it to you that the 9% of the world population (I'm presuming you mean the caucasian subsection) that has mixed genes are actually strengthened by this because of the slight increase in variation of stock, and that the difference in intelligence is irrelevant (its been suggested that Neanderthal weren't Less intelligent per-sé just that their intelligence was based around a different evolutionary path due to the difference in environment) and more akin to the difference in intelligence between a physicist and a doctor - i.e both intelligent but with different skills. So 'inferior' is a very loaded term to use and you would be very unwise to think along such linear lines.

Granted though I'm very interested by the information, and if true - I'm rather proud of it if I am in fact included in this 9%.
    Its not just caucasian, also asian. Really, only africans are excluded. Neanderthal had larger brains, which generally means less intelligence (in primates at least). But then theres the balance between smaller and larger brain with the mid-point that we humans have and...
    The brain is one of the least understood things that humans know about.

I dont really like to use the word intelligent because, as you said, its relative. But generally, the accepted theory is that, of all the neanderthal people had, we had it better(based off of cunning). Like: Hunting for them usually resulted in multiple broken bones, whereas hunting for us, was often less costly as the human was just more intuitive. We had better weapons and ways to capture prey, whereas their way of hunting was to sneak up and pounce(more or less). One of the debated things is that the humans caused neanderthal to go extinct, because we were more cunning in the competition(neanderthal were also supposedly frightened very easily). They were, however much more physically powerful, which isnt the entire necessity to win a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ioannes View Post
    Judging by present day, I would say we show more and more of it.
    Bud, in 1000 BC, people were complaining about how stupid everyone around them is. We're no stupider now than we were then. The only difference is that in the past I could only share my stupidity with my neighbor. Now I can share my stupidity with the world.

9% of the non-African population of the world sharing 1-4% of the genes from our closest evolutionary brother means nothing. we share like 80% of our genes with flat worms, and 98% of them with chimps.

also, if interbreeding between homo-sapiens(modern man) and neanderthals happened and managed to produce fertile offspring, that means that they were never a separate species. just a shorter and hairer version, kind of like ethnic jews(no disrespect or racism intended)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Here comes the us vs them brigade to tell us all how this will somehow make one group superior or inferior to another.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    9% of the non-African population of the world sharing 1-4% of the genes from our closest evolutionary brother means nothing. we share like 80% of our genes with flat worms, and 98% of them with chimps.

also, if interbreeding between homo-sapiens(modern man) and neanderthals happened and managed to produce fertile offspring, that means that they were never a separate species. just a shorter and hairer version, kind of like ethnic jews(no disrespect or racism intended)
    I would say that the difference between me and a neanderthal is exponentially greater than that of me and a jew. The jew might be shorter and darker than me, but the neanderthal has a dramatically different biology.

The rules of nature are never without exception.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a fairly serious question...

What scientific alternative is there to the origins of humanity besides evolution?

Because if there isn't one, at this time, then isn't it the case that the only people who disagree with it, are the ones who have a religious reason to believe otherwise? O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post

They werent entirely 100% a different species, as both shared a common ancestor and the species branched out, due to migration. They were indeed different, but that difference in evolutionary paths doesnt always mean two species cant reproduce successfully.

---------- Post added 2011-07-24 at 06:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I have a fairly serious question...

What scientific alternative is there to the origins of humanity besides evolution?

Because if there isn't one, at this time, then isn't it the case that the only people who disagree with it, are the ones who have a religious reason to believe otherwise? O_o
    Evolution is the scientific path, creation is the religious. More or less. That can be argued but then this thread would be locked!
    Last edited by Skelington; 2011-07-24 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astarte View Post

Im pretty sure most if not all of the WWE is Neanderthal. I could be wrong though. I am pretty sure Triple H is.