NZXT Phantom and Corsair H80 - or another case?

Just want to make sure before I buy

My new rig is going to consist of an H80 cpu cooler and possibly an NZXT Phantom, now I've heard of dimension problems with the H70 (which is the same dimensions as the H80) and the Phantom, does anyone know if the problem still stands or NZXT changed it slightly?

I'm still having doubts about the case too, its a wicked case but, the 200mm fan actually being 192mm and the H80 dimension problem seem to be a bit of a headache, as I'd rather not lose out on a top 200 or side 200 fan - for the same price should I get the fugly HAF X and not worry about size or even get a Fractal R3 and just plug it full of fans and pray it runs cool?

If it helps, rest of my rig is:

I7 2600k @ 4.8
    Vengeance LP 1600mhz 4x2gb
    p8p67 pro
    Corsair H80
    850tx v2 PSU
    MSI gtx 580 Twin FROZR II
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB
    BitFenix Spectre 120mm/140mm/200mm where and if applicable

Basically, i'm looking for a good aircooled case for a MAX for £130/$210 including all fan slots maxed out aswell.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    what dimensions are you refering to? the dimension of the Waterblock (the part thats on the CPU) or dimensions of the fan/radiator. And is your issue with screw holes into the NZXT? or the thickness of the 2 fans+radiator that the H80 comes with. i find the Haf X to be a very good case, and i think it looks nice, it allows allot of space for the radiator, i will edit with a picture of my internals of the HAF X with my h60, wish is much smaller than the H70 OR H80, but it will give u a size comparison for you to make your decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    My priorities when looking for a case are (in order):

1) Looks
    2) Functionality (hot swap, tool-less etc)
    3) Air flow

That being said.. I don't really like the looks of the Phantom (for some odd reason).
    I would never buy a HAF X, I like the Storm Sniper Black a lot more.

Its all up to you though really..
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    what dimensions are you refering to? the dimension of the Waterblock (the part thats on the CPU) or dimensions of the fan/radiator. And is your issue with screw holes into the NZXT? or the thickness of the 2 fans+radiator that the H80 comes with. i find the Haf X to be a very good case, and i think it looks nice, it allows allot of space for the radiator, i will edit with a picture of my internals of the HAF X with my h60, wish is much smaller than the H70 OR H80, but it will give u a size comparison for you to make your decision.
    the main issue is the height of the radiator, it's 192mm which can apparently clip the top back exhuast fan, i've also heard of issues with it clipping the side 200mm fan too.

Looks are a huge factor for me aswell, which is kind of why I want the FD Define R3 because it looks so nice, it just doesnt have the air cooling oomph im looking for though
    Last edited by willtron; 2011-07-26 at 06:22 PM.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

My vote is for the Silverstone RV03. It looks cool, has a unique design, and can accommodate most liquid coolers. If that is too expensive, look at the Corsair 600t or the Coolermaster 690 II Advanced
    mostowizard is genius.
    -Posted by zaf on 23/12/10

you also might want to take a look at the corsair 650D, if you want a very professional looking case.

One case I'm interested in is the Thor V2. I haven't heard any mention of it on here but it seems from the huge fans and full tower size that it would be great for cooling. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147053

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just picked up the Corsair 600T White Edition, and I am pretty picky with cases and this case is exactly what I wanted. Stock fans keep it nice and cold, plenty of room in there for all your goodies. I also have the 800D and a HAF 922 - the 800D is just a monster that is almost over kill, and the HAF 922 is a solid case for $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139005

Deleted
    I'm quite happy with my NZXT Phantom. Everything is easy to install, take out or replace. A lot of cable management options and the case has superb airflow. To be honest, you're probably better of with a NH-14D aircooler. But that is just personal taste, either you go full water cooling or you go air cooling.
    And in my personal opinion, it looks great, whilst some of my friends disagree to that. Just bear in mind that the tower is FAR BIGGER than your would think from the pictures they show you. My original plan was to have it sit on my desk, but after getting my hands on it, I realized it wouldn't fit or that i'd have a lack of space on my desk, so ultimately I decided to place it underneath my desk.

But to answer your question, the case is huge, so I'm pretty sure you can install that radiator on the spots of the optional fans (the 200mm side and top ones come to mind). You might be able to install it in the front (the place of the 140mm optional fan), however, I'm not certain about that.
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2011-07-26 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tic Tacs View Post
    That's so waiting to gather up shitloads of dust.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    the main issue is the height of the radiator, it's 152mm which can apparently clip the top back exhuast fan, i've also heard of issues with it clipping the side 200mm fan too.

Looks are a huge factor for me aswell, which is kind of why I want the FD Define R3 because it looks so nice, it just doesnt have the air cooling oomph im looking for though
    It doesn't clip the side fan, the side fan just plain does not fit when you use a H70.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    It doesn't clip the side fan, the side fan just plain does not fit when you use a H70.
    can you fit any other side fans like a 140mm in or does it seriously just not fit?

Seriously tempted to get http://www.shay-tech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/fdr3w.jpg and just fill all 7 fan slots and create a hurricane inside
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    can you fit any other side fans like a 140mm in or does it seriously just not fit?

Seriously tempted to get http://www.shay-tech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/fdr3w.jpg and just fill all 7 fan slots and create a hurricane inside
    Honestly not having the side fan hasn't bothered me one bit. I will say this though, while I love my case, I absolutely loathe those 200mm NZXT fans. Damned things emit a noise that I can only describe as 'rattling' when I turn the fan controller up past mid. I keep the two top fans on low all the time because of it. I'm sure they're still moving more than enough air, but still, having fans that I paid for that won't perform to their full potential irks me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Honestly not having the side fan hasn't bothered me one bit. I will say this though, while I love my case, I absolutely loathe those 200mm NZXT fans. Damned things emit a noise that I can only describe as 'rattling' when I turn the fan controller up past mid. I keep the two top fans on low all the time because of it. I'm sure they're still moving more than enough air, but still, having fans that I paid for that won't perform to their full potential irks me a bit.
    I know they are really 192mm, would i be able to fit a true 200mm fan in there using zipties or small metal tabs to make it fit?
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Corsair 650D is probably the best 150-200$ case out there .. along with the 600t. It really depend which design you prefer the most! .. Both come with 2x 200mm and 1x120mm fans.

For the original issue of H80/70 fitting in NZXT Phantom. I have not encountered an issue when building such PCs. You can see an example here where the H70 fits fine EDIT: Won't let me post the pic as i'm a new account. Will have to take my word for it =/. Pic showed a white nzxt with stock H70 mounted at rear 120mm fan location completely internally with both push/pull fans installed.

As for case recommendation someone mentioned the RV03. Personally i think it looks worse than the RV02 because of the tacky looking gold stripes on either side. It really gives the case a plastic feel (yes, it actually IS plastic, but doesn't really stand out as such if it weren't for the faux gold highlights). Therefore i'd suggest the RV02-E instead which is slightly more expensive but looks better (IMO), features an extra AP181 fan and is pretty much the best cooled case in the world right now for GPUs and possibly CPUs. I saw one test where they ran an overclocked PC with no fan on the tower heatsink just using the airflow provided from the case, pretty awesome if you think about it.

EDIT 2: Sorry OP i see now what you mean. We had to MOVE (not remove) the 200mm fan up the top one slot across to get the H70 to fit. It does the same job just one across. From personal bench testing the case still had very good temperatures for graphics cards so i don't think fitting an extra $40 200mm fan up top would make much of a difference really TBH.
    Last edited by Deus Ex Technologies; 2011-07-27 at 03:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    simple question, but why not just use the H100, it's only $10 more then the H80, and will fit nicely at the top of the case

650D. I just bought one for my build and it's awesome.