Deleted

Rhyolith 10man, Help Required!

Heya!, First of all let me just say im not a big poster on these forums, although i tend to tawl them daily. So when my raid group hit a bit of a snag, i couldnt think of a better place to come and seek advice. Anyway, Heres the problem.

We're a fairly competent raid-group, although somewhat relaxed in our aproach, we raid only 8 hours a week over two raid nights, so we dont have an eternity of experience on him, or any other boss for that matter. but i think we've wiped more times on him than any other progress boss we've attempted previously. and at this rate we'll have killed Alysrazor before we kill Rhyolith.

Our main problems with the encounter seem to be firstly steering him, he seems to be really unresponsive in relation to the turning speed we've all seen in some of the videos of other peoples kills, almost like we're using two level 49 shadow priest dps rather than T11/T12 20k+ dps. We're using voice coms to coordinate their damage, so that isnt an issue either, (We usually use two dps on controlling the legs, a MM hunter, and our sole Melee dps an Enhance Shaman.)

Our second problem, is that in the few instances where we have pushed him into P2, his stacking buff taking him to 120%~ damage means that his first stomp in P2 is a huge wipe, almost no amount of healing can cover the whole group through it. As i understand it, the more time it takes after his armor buff is removed untill P2 (25%) the higher this buff right? do you move all dps onto Rhyolith at this point and just OT the sparks and little adds?

Anyway, to help a little more this is our usual raid comp

Tank - Prot Paladin
    Healers - Resto Druid
    Holy Priest
    Holy Paladin
    Dps - Fire Mage
    Demo Warlock
    MM Hunter
    Enhance Shaman
    Surv Hunter
    Shadow Priest
    (Balance Druid as a sub for a missing dps.)

If there are any other questions, things i've missed out, please feel free ask, and any advice is welcome. thanks in advance peoples!

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    As far as I remember (I'm tanking this fight, not steering so I don't recall the mechanic perfectly) he gains stacks of the buff when you run him over dormant volcanoes. Active volcanoes reduce his armor buff, but dormant volcanoes buff his damage in phase 2. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but odds are you guys are just steering him over as many volcanoes as possible instead of trying to only run over the active ones.

It might also be easier to steer if you put three dps on the legs. We found it easier to keep him at 70% or 30% range by having 2 dps on one leg, 1 on the other unless we need a drastic turn makes things much smoother steering around.

Deleted
    Doesnt any damage done to his opposite leg (not the one you're using to steer) set him back to neutral?, we've been avoiding putting any dots or anyting on either of his legs because of that :S

From what I understand you need to get him into P2 before he starts to gain any significant stacking buff increasing his damage - currently for hardmode this involves blowing bloodlust around the 4:10 mark to nuke him into P2. At this point, we kill any fragments that are still up and any spark which is low, ignoring any new fragment spawns and sparks, purely nuking the boss. In P2 the adds despawn. If he's at 120% buffed damage, it sounds as though you're missing the DPS timer - but not due to low DPS. You should check how you assign your dps, and make sure that you start to burn the boss at 4:10 in order to nuke him into P2 with as few stacks as possible.

This is what we have done - this is how we got him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by twopac187 View Post
    but dormant volcanoes buff his damage in phase 2. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but odds are you guys are just steering him over as many volcanoes as possible instead of trying to only run over the active ones.
    If this is the case its going to make the RNG part of this fight even more irritating ><.

Quote Originally Posted by Themessiah View Post
    You should check how you assign your dps, and make sure that you start to burn the boss at 4:10 in order to nuke him into P2 with as few stacks as possible.
    Wouldnt this mean no damage done on the spark though? or any further adds that spawn?, (i understand the adds despawning, but wont the damage become too insane on the tank if he has all the adds to deal with from 70-80% (Rhyo's HP when his armor buff falls off) and 25%?
    Last edited by mmoc357666cc94; 2011-07-26 at 09:25 AM.

Deleted
    We got him down last night after a night of wipes and we a had a surprisingly RNG-forgiving set of actives and everything fell into place.

You want at least two DPS steering him full time plus another in case of emergencies. We had two Melee DPS on him and then a Mage backing them up when they needed it, to be honest. The mage spent more time steering then he did helping on sparks.

On the transition into P2. Get your Druid to use it's Tranquillity early in P1 to ensure it's ready to use again for the transition.

We had another Mage on the Sparks full time, a Frost DK in blood presence collecting the fragments who was also able to DPS them down additionally then a hunter assisting on Adds

The key to this fight in summary.

2-3 DPS on the legs. It's much easier for bursty single target DPS like Arcane Mages compared to say, an affliction warlock. You don't really want DOT reliant classes on legs since when you need to equalise the steering it can cause problems.

Get your healers to blow their 2-3 minute cooldowns relatively early in P1 to ensure they can be used again for P2.

A DK gathering the adds and burning them down helps massively. Frost has some brilliant AoE.

Everybody needs to be pulling very high DPS. It effects how long the adds stay up all the way to how long the Phase 1 lasts and how easy it is to steer him

Get your raid to stack in Effloresce/Healing rain sort of effects to maximise HPS and make it easier. Obviously watching out for Magma Flow.

Adds should be dead/dying before he hits 25%.
    Last edited by mmoc052e60f280; 2011-07-26 at 09:43 AM.

Doesn't matter if adds are dead or dieing before 25%, as long as the small adds aren't up for to long and blow everyone up, and as long as the spark isn't killing anyone they all despawn at 25% anyways.

Deleted
    when he hits 35~ spin him round point him at your ranged stack and nuke those legs (ignore adds as they will despawn)
    ideally you then forus on a leg so he doesn't walk into the lave behind your ranged stack but the point is so that ranged can be in range of boss with little/no movement to assist healing and cooldown during p2, disco/dk bubbles/heaing rain etc. melle try to stack up as well to help aoe healings.

Deleted
    Steer him with those dps when you need to make a slow turn. If you need to make a quick turn use all the dps on the leg.
    One little thing we forgot is to NOT make him go trhough inactive volcanoes, this only stacks his debuffs and not remove the buffs on his legs.
    This wiped us a few times.

1st, tell ur mage to spec arcane (and not only for this fight), its 0k to have ur shamy and mm hunter, but they will need some help, then just ask ur mage to do a lil burst when u need a fast spin-> watch out when his low on stacks cuz he can do a big spin and then ull miss a volcano.

p3->stack-BL->burst burst burst, done. ranges dont stack too close cuz theyll get a knocback, btw dont forget to try to top raid at ~35%

bad english ftl sry :$

Deleted
    Hey,

We got 3 melee on the legs and 3 ranged on the adds
    Rogues Warrior and DK, with assist of our arcane mage for the big turns and spark = up.

Our SP and Warlock are on adds all times, and arcane mage basicly on spark when its up.

We used all tanks for this fight (Realy all 4 classes) and a DK seems to be easier to pick up the adds with D&D and his nice AoE Shizzels.

Good luck

Deleted
    I'd like to add a question regarding this topic, we too as a guild have been having problems on rhylioth, 17 wipes - 1 kill - says it all really. we normally have myself(boomkin) and 2 hunters on the legs. Regarding the topic of dots and how it makes things that much more difficult, should those on the legs completely abandon our dots, i.e not use insect swarm/moonfire/serpent sting whatsoever? (our comp is usually 2 hunters, boomkin,shadow priest and lock - so we're kinda gimped in terms of picking classes with no dots for the legs).
    Also, i understand the mechanics of the fight in terms of dormant volcaneos being a bad thing to cross over, However, if for example, your about to take rhylioth over an active volcano and the next active volcano is on the totall opposite side of the room, it is worth aiming for that active volcano(or will it not go inactive by the time you reach it?). Thats partly why we've been wiping so far, rather than steer him to the opposite side of the room, we go for other volcanoes hoping (to the rng god) that they go active just as we're about to cross over! so i guess my question is, when each volcano goes active - do you sometimes ignore them if they;re on the opposite side of the room and hope for one closer?

We recently downed him as well and I can offer my insight:

Our raid make up was 2x Pally tanks (with ret offspecs), Frost DK (me), Fury War, Enhance Shaman, Survival Hunter, Arcane Mage, 2x Resto Druid, Resto Shaman.

At first we had one of the Pally's go Ret and he was steering the legs along with the Enh Shaman and Warrior. The other Prot Pally was tanking the sparks, and I was "tanking" the fragments while myself the hunter and the mage would down them. The hunter and the mage would then help with the spark and usually I was picking up a pretty constant stream of adds. This was working really well for add control but we kept dying to having too many stacks of Eruption and just taking too much fire damage overall.

We switched it so I was on the legs and the Pally was working on the fragments in my place. To be honest I don't know if he switched back to prot or stayed ret. Either way, after this switch we downed him in 3 tries.

The key things when steering are:
    - Have as many DPS steering as you need, we had all 3 melee with 2 ranged and an 2 tanks dealing with the adds.
    - Constantly be aiming for an active volcano, if there's more than one up then the oldest one (has the most stacks).
    - Generally keep him going in a big circle, this will limit the number of volcano's in front of him making him activate one he's walking towards.
    - You can't miss a volcano. If you do pop cooldowns and slam on the other foot to turn him around and get it. You can't wait and get it on another pass because it's stacks will build too high.
    - Honestly we ignored caring about inactive volcano's. If you're going in a big circle he tends to activate the ones in front of him anyway so I don't think we ran too many over, and while we didn't try step on them, we didn't avoid them either.

This fight is very much about the steering. Stacks of Eruption increase all fire damage taken by 10% per stack, but they also multiply. So if you have two stacks of 40% more damage, it's not 180% fire damage you're taking but 196% (140%*140%). So it might look like it's other things killing you, but if you're dying because of raid damage I'm willing to bet it's usually because you have way too many stacks of Eruption.