Thread: GPU options

GPU options

So I'm just about ready to build my gaming rig but I am unsure of my GPU choice... I'm either going to go with 2 geforce gtx 560 ti in SLI or one geforce gtx 580 and possibly get a second in the future. Using mostly for WoW but would like the system to last me a long long time and be able to handle whatever I decide to throw at it in the future. Getting 1 580 is about $30 more than 2 560 ti so I dunno.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the system is mostly for WoW I'd stick with a single 560 Ti and then later, when the performance isn't up to par in other games, get a second 560 Ti. WoW isn't graphically demanding, more CPU-demanding so the extra power of SLI or the 580 won't give any benefit.

Save the money now and buy an SSD or something with it, or just save it
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    If the system is mostly for WoW I'd stick with a single 560 Ti and then later, when the performance isn't up to par in other games, get a second 560 Ti. WoW isn't graphically demanding, more CPU-demanding so the extra power of SLI or the 580 won't give any benefit.

Save the money now and buy an SSD or something with it, or just save it
    Thanks for the response. My build is at about $1500 which i'm happy with but I would like to get an SSD. Not sure which yet as some of the reviews have put me off. Having to constantly update the firmware for OCZ vertex 3 n such. So the i5 2500k + 1 gtx 560 ti is good for ultra settings in a 25 man raid?

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing personal but what you have asked has been posted in this forum over and over. The only time I would SLI is if you can get a great deal on the (2) cards or you just simple can't afford to buy a decent single GPU. You best bet is to always buy a single high end GPU and possible SLI as your machine gets out of date.. which seems to happen fast.

A single 580 or its competitors equal would be more than enough for WoW, games this old are more dependent on a good CPU. Both my gaming rigs are running SLI one has 2 450's and the other 2 560's. I only did so because the investment came with a 2nd card that could be RMAed so you got 2 for 1. SLI works great with games that have a solid profile, but I will warn you it doesn't work well with all games and in some cases you only gain a few frame rates over what you would have by just running a single card.

Good enough for me. I'll just stick with a single 580 as it won't affect the price much and get a 2nd in the future if and when I need it.
    Thanks.