15+ Year Old Account

Multiple Spec Tier bonuses in one set

Is there a reason why hybrid classes can't have a single tier set that adjust with their spec? I mean, if we can have smart trinkets and food that pick the highest stat to proc and buff, heirlooms that level up with you, then why is it not possible to just have a single set of tier that adjusts to your role?

As a paladin I am often called upon to use my offspec, as well as the priests and druids in our raid, and maybe shamans, dks, or warriors in your raid. With our current system I am spending my VP on my MS tier, and hoping to get OS gear from drops or vendors that sell things for gold. What is the harm or gamebreaking ability that deters blizzard from allowing hybrids to have a single set of tier for any spec they choose?

It cant just be because different specs use different stats. Or that bonuses couldnt be adjusted to conform to the active spec. We have gear that already adjusts stats as needed. Are there other complications that are too difficult to overcome? Is this something that people would outrage against? What do you guys think? I mean, what if all spec of warlocks, rogue, mage, and hunters had to choose a different tier set simply because they have different abilities that a tier bonus could buff. To me this would help not only hybrids, but also those smaller guilds/raids that have less of a pool to pull from by allowing their hybrids to use there OS to a higher degree.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

As a Paladin, I wouldn't mind this...

This seems like it would be pretty doable for Elemental/resto shaman, Balance/resto druids and Priests as the basic stats are similar enough between the specs but Pallys would be challenging since Ret, Prot and Holy all look for very different stats so it isn't as simple as just throwing on a set bonus that has features for both specs.

I'm not sure if they would want to do it tho because they want to keep you playing for longer and it seems like it would either result in really long descriptions of the set bonuses or pretty boring set bonuses.

I guess it would be fair, considering many classes have sets that work for 2 or 3 specs. like people said though this could only really be done for caster/healer sets though.

Deleted
    I wouldn't mind something like this. I hate having so many sets of gear. On my character at all times I have my Holy PvE and Holy PvP gear. In my bank I have Ret PvE, Ret PvP and Prot PvE gear. It gets extremely annoying having to manage so many sets of gear and respec all the time.

Likely wont happen as it kills off a time sink. Imagine how much more rare tanks and heals would be in LFD queue if they only had to aquire one set of gear? I know I myself have often tanked randoms to farm jp for my dps set. Its seen as one of the burdens of being a hybrid and something we accept when we chose the class.

To force you to farm 3 sets of gear. Subscription is where its @.

You are making the first step in a progression whose logical conclusion is to homogenize all gear so everything works for everyone. A lock or a hunter is only a dps. There may be slight variations, but they can only dps. When you play a hybrid class, you have the benefit of pressing a button and being able to tank, or heal, or dps. To then add giving you one set of gear to do all three would be ridiculous. Selecting gear is supposed to be a challenge, and one you take on carefully. As someone who has played a priest and built healing and dps kits for both pve and pvp on one toon, also runs a pally and a druid, and has spent endless hours analyzing gear choices and dkp point expenditures, I feel your pain. But if you take that component out of the game, one of the biggest sources of end-game complexity goes out the window. While we're at it, why not have gems change stats with respec, a talent tree that auto-selects the best point allocation, etc, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayonel View Post
    You are making the first step in a progression whose logical conclusion is to homogenize all gear so everything works for everyone. A lock or a hunter is only a dps. There may be slight variations, but they can only dps. When you play a hybrid class, you have the benefit of pressing a button and being able to tank, or heal, or dps. To then add giving you one set of gear to do all three would be ridiculous. Selecting gear is supposed to be a challenge, and one you take on carefully. As someone who has played a priest and built healing and dps kits for both pve and pvp on one toon, also runs a pally and a druid, and has spent endless hours analyzing gear choices and dkp point expenditures, I feel your pain. But if you take that component out of the game, one of the biggest sources of end-game complexity goes out the window. While we're at it, why not have gems change stats with respec, a talent tree that auto-selects the best point allocation, etc, etc.
    I think you are blowing this way out of context from what I said and intended. This wouldn't remove the need to make accurate gear choices at all. There could still be offset pieces that are better, and you would have to make that choice. In fact, I dont see how this makes a lick of difference in choosing the right gear. If you are in a guild that requires you to be the best geared possible, then no way you would hold onto an inferior piece just because it has the ability to adjust itself with your spec. If it is great for tanking, but the healing stats on it are subpar, you would simply not use it for your optimal healing set. It may, however, make the transition smoother and less burdensome. Meaning, it would allow you to at least use that chest instead of a passed tiers piece or something like that.

Also, to extrapolate out that this is the same as having a talent tree auto pick points for the person is just rediculous. Though, you do make one good point that I did overlook, and that is of enchanting and gemming. Having gear adjust base stats is one thing, it already exists on heirlooms, trinkets, etc. But having it adjust enchants, and gems is a step that may be significantly more difficult to do, and something that could cause issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    With that, they would be forced to bring back the funky all stats on one piece gear (Stam-int-agi-str-spirit) I prefer my gear without useless stats I can't reforge off.

Deleted
    would be nice but i would definately limit it to tier only.

also how does the tier know if it's feral cat or feral bear?
    (i get that it doesn't know atm either but druids would STILL need a 2nd tier set for cat and one for bear even if only gemed/enchanted differently)

If i understand you sounds a bit silly. Would kill collecting offspec gear etc. And buying 4 tier pieces you would have 4 pieces for all specs already? No thanks, i understand Blizz is makin this game easier and easier but lets not cross the line.

It would be nice, yes. If they can tag a piece of loot as "Heroic" or "Season X" then I imagine they could work on tech to dynamically morph your gear. If anything, it would save DB and vendor space... no more "3 gloves, 3 helms, 3 legs, 3 chests..." clogging up the vendors.

I'm gonna guess the OP plays a caster hybrid. That is the only way something like this could ever work, because the DPS/Healer roles for all the caster hybrids use basically the same stats. But there is no set bonus in the world that is good enough to allow a bear and a resto druid to share tier sets. Unless you likes you some agi and stam for your heals.

---------- Post added 2011-07-27 at 08:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
    We have gear that already adjusts stats as needed.
    Since when? Link or you're lying.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    Since when? Link or you're lying.
    Uh, heirlooms and trinkets, as I have already said. Have you not heard of trinkets picking the highest stat for a proc? Deathbringers Will, Apparatus of Khazgoroth, and others. Heirlooms stats change every level. Also, I'm a paladin, which was also mentioned in the very first post i made, as well as my armory link. I suggest you read what I said before calling me a liar.

Also, many are misunderstanding what I was saying to begin with. I'm not suggesting every piece have 42 different useless stats, or that healers should use strength or casters use agi, etc. I'll give an example of what I had pictured.

Take the current 3 sets of paladin tier. Instead of there being 3 sets, there would just be one. When you equip the tier, it would check your spec and the stats would adjust as needed. If you are Holy it would be Int and Spirit along with secondary stats like haste, crit, and mastery. If you were a tank, it would be Strength with secondary stats of dodge, parry, mastery, exp, hit, etc. And for dps it would be strength, with crit, haste, mastery, hit, exp, etc. And the bonuses would correspond to the spec as well. It wouldnt be one piece with every single stat on it with a super long and convuluted bonus. This is only for tier. Not for offset pieces. There could be pieces that are better than tier, and that is a choice you would have to make. This system only eliminates the need to purchase 2+ sets of tier gear with precious VP, or greedily take extra tier tokens because you think your OS is more valuable than the new guy in the raid(however true that may actually be).

However, as I said, the issue isnt really about the stats and bonuses, the ability to change these things already exists. The problem would be with gems and enchants. I dont know if that is even possible. Sure they could make a gem/enchant page, similar to your glyph page, to match when you swap specs but that just seems odd. I'm sure its possible, and one of those things they could make work, but it would be quite a big undertaking, as well as a large change for the player base.

10+ Year Old Account
    They want people to make choices about how they gear and spec. Allowing 5 pieces of gear to be flexible among all your specs would take a lot away from that.

EDIT: They being Blizzard.
    Last edited by Neganova; 2011-07-27 at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neganova View Post
    They want people to make choices about how they gear and spec. Allowing 5 pieces of gear to be flexible among all your specs would take a lot away from that.

EDIT: They being Blizzard.
    My issue with this is that this isnt eliminating the choices. In fact, its giving you more as I see it. Think about this situation. You are a MS tank and OS dps. A dps item drops that no MS dps needs so it goes to you as OS. Currently, you would just go ahead and use the item in your OS because you probably don't have anything to compare it with, like a tier piece of the same slot and ilvl. However, if you did have the tier piece available to you, you could make a comparison and choose which item is better, a choice exists where one previously did not.

For most people, a second set of tier is out of the question for a significant period of time during that specific tier. I dont know anyone who uses VP for their OS tier while they still need other VP items for their MS. So one a one tank fight, when the OT switches to his OS to dps/heal, the group(because they are a small guild with a small pool to pull from) are at a disadvantage. With this system, the hybrid wouldnt be at such a large disadvantage. Sure, a MS of that role would still be most advantageous, but by allowing tier to be adjustable for each spec, the hybrid person may be able to contribute more on fights where his MS isnt needed.