Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Question on DoTs and Procs

So I've been trying to find an answer on this and have read Elitist Jerks and a bunch of threads here and couldn't find an exact answer to my question so hopefully one of you pro locks can help...

So concerning Bane of Doom, Corruption, and Immolate (I've been Demo heavily since 4.2 came out)... When Power Torrent or DMC:Volcano proc, do I have to reapply these 3 for them to gain the stat bonuses the two create, or are they automatically applied for the remaining duration of the buffs? A related question.. Would casting Hand of Gul'dan to refresh the Immolate give the refreshed Immolate the bonus?

My same question would be for these 3 if during my rotation I use Metamorphisis or an on use trinket like Moonwell.

I'm sure SimCraft could easily answer my questions, but I just don't know how to use it yet.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

DoT ticks recalculate every tick based off your current crit/haste/SP.

so any ticks that happen while you have procs up benefit from them, and when the proc goes away they no longer benefit from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

See below................

The power of editing.
    Last edited by Stridulent; 2011-07-26 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    DoT ticks recalculate every tick based off your current crit/haste/SP.

so any ticks that happen while you have procs up benefit from them, and when the proc goes away they no longer benefit from them.
    No....it doesn't. It recalculates every tick based on boss debuffs, except for shadow and flame which only affects dots casted after the debuff is on the boss. Your own buffs are calculated in only when casting the dot or refreshing it.

No, you need to somehow refresh the dots for them to benefit from the procs. Same with bloodlust, eradication, etc. HoG force refreshes immo, so it snapshots your stats for it, so yes, it would give immolate the buffed up bonus, the negative is that once you recast HoG, you end up nerfing your immolate back to normal if the procs are no longer active. Same for Meta/Moonwell. All dots need to be refreshed when the player gets a buff that would affect them. They auto-update when the hostile ​target gets a debuff which would affect them as well.

Dots DO NOT update automatically when the caster gets a buff. Why cant people understand this.
    Last edited by Defai; 2011-07-26 at 09:02 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    So based on these responses I need to recast to get the proc bonuses... This brings up an interesting question as well. Although Fel Flame is not in our rotations, say we have Meta, Moonwell, Volc Potion, DMC:Volcano, and Power Torrent all active and cast Immolate. The wording on Fel Flame says it extends the Immolate 6 seconds... Does Fel Flame snap shot stats as well or is it going to use the original stats used when the Immolate it's extending is cast?

I guess the best way to ask is could Fel Flame theoretically extend our super powered Immolate during all the procs, CDs for the duration of an entire fight? If it does how would this affect DPS/the rotation?

Thanks for the quick responses by the way.
    Last edited by Tyllastus; 2011-07-26 at 09:07 PM.

Fel Flame does extend/refresh/update it but you should have Hand of Gul'dan up soon, and it does much more damage. Refreshing DoTs on procs isn't as important for demo as it is for affliction, but it is still good to refresh them when in demon form.

I guess the best way to ask is could Fel Flame theoretically extend our super powered Immolate during all the procs, CDs for the duration of an entire fight? If it does how would this affect DPS/the rotation?
    No. If immolate was refreshed by fel flame or hand of gul'dan while you had active procs, the proc benefits on the DoT would only last until the DoT fell off or it was refreshed again and the procs were no longer up.
    Last edited by Stridulent; 2011-07-26 at 09:15 PM.

Whenever the DoT is cast/refreshed - it takes snapshot of *caster's buffs and debuffs* and writes it down with the spell on the target.
    Whenever the DoT ticks - it checks all buffs and debuffs on *target*, but never recheck buffs/debuffs on the caster.

Deleted
    Just a question that has me stumped for quite a while--

Do i need to reapply dots when i pop meta?

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Corpselooter View Post
    Just a question that has me stumped for quite a while--

Do i need to reapply dots when i pop meta?

xx
    Open with meta then apply dots. When meta comes off CD corruption and BoD will need to be reapplied to get the benefits of meta. Immo refreshed via HoG.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbalel View Post
    Open with meta then apply dots. When meta comes off CD corruption and BoD will need to be reapplied to get the benefits of meta. Immo refreshed via HoG.
    Does this mean that BoD benefits from meta for the full minute its up?
    If so then that's egg on my face, I've been applying dots THEN hitting my meta macro

Quote Originally Posted by HatsHatsHats View Post
    Does this mean that BoD benefits from meta for the full minute its up?
    If so then that's egg on my face, I've been applying dots THEN hitting my meta macro
    Yes, Hats. It is still best not to use the GCD to refresh dots (if they don't need refreshing) in Meta when you can be casting HoG or SBolt. I'd wait until near the end to refresh if they aren't going to fall off sooner (corruption obviously will), just make sure they get felhunter's Demon Soul if you aren't using Felguard.
    Last edited by Stridulent; 2011-07-28 at 03:53 PM.

Deleted
    Is it worth casting Fel Flame/shadowbolt a few times to get int procs and then apply your dots (assuming a patchwerk-like fight)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stridulent View Post
    Yes, Hats. It is still best not to use the GCD to refresh dots (if they don't need refreshing) in Meta when you can be casting HoG or SBolt. I'd wait until near the end to refresh if they aren't going to fall off sooner (corruption obviously will), just make sure they get felhunter's Demon Soul if you aren't using Felguard.
    It's worth a GCD to make sure you have a super-charged BoD up. Immolate will refresh itself and Corruption will come up on their own sometime during the Metamorphosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpselooter View Post
    Is it worth casting Fel Flame/shadowbolt a few times to get int procs and then apply your dots (assuming a patchwerk-like fight)?
    its not worth it.