Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Apple has begun phasing out the SuperDrive in their machines

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...o-the-DVD.html

So Apple has decided that the DVD is outdated and is starting to phase it out of their machines, starting with the MacMini.

Not sure how I feel about this. While I removed my SuperDrive from my computer in favour of an SSD (and have yet to regret it), I'm sure most people would still prefer to use a DVD. Not everyone has the bandwidth or speeds to download everything, especially in countries like Canada. Plus Apple being the first company to do this, getting 3rd party software will be a bitch until other companies follow suit and start putting software on USB keys instead.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-07-26 at 09:02 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    especially in countries like Canada
    Uh.. I don't have a DVD drive in my machine, haven't for months. I download everything.

Trick is to set something to download and go to bed. :P
    red panda red panda red panda!

But how do I install WoW withouth dvd's? O_o
    Wait...WoW sucks.....how do I install Diablo 3 when it gets released? O_o
    I like DVD's....untill my TV, Computer can interact wirelessly I want DVD's
    So basically, untill I buy a new TV I want DVD's!!!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Uh.. I don't have a DVD drive in my machine, haven't for months. I download everything.

Trick is to set something to download and go to bed. :P
    I'm in Canada as well and I to download everything. But I live on campus and can use as much bandwidth as I like at exceedingly high speeds. I don't need to do it before I go to bed. I can download a 720p movie in about 3 minutes.

I was referring to the people on Rogers or Bell who have low bandwidth caps.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-07-26 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    how do I install Diablo 3 when it gets released?
    External DVD drive via USB.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean "especially in Canada"? Are you talking about the 0.000001% of the population that lives in Nunavut or something? Not to mention our internet is better than the UKs, just look at streams and such form across the river.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    But how do I install WoW withouth dvd's? O_o
    Wait...WoW sucks.....how do I install Diablo 3 when it gets released? O_o
    I like DVD's....untill my TV, Computer can interact wirelessly I want DVD's
    So basically, untill I buy a new TV I want DVD's!!!
    https://eu.battle.net/account/download/index.xml

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    What do you mean "especially in Canada"? Are you talking about the 0.000001% of the population that lives in Nunavut or something? Not to mention our internet is better than the UKs, just look at streams and such form across the river.
    He is talking about bandwith caps

I challenge you.

I don't think that you can play any of these games normally on a MacBook Air. The GPU is too weak.

Deleted
    the only time I ever use my DVD reader is when I have to:
    1. burn a DVD
    2. install an OS
    3. install drivers that come on DVDs/CDs

I don't think I've ever used the DVD drive on my macbook 'cept when I was installing OS X for the first time.

I agree that the DVD format is becoming outdated, but this is going to cause such a hassle reinstalling OSes and whatnot unless you have the OS on a usb stick.

I also think a major reason for removing the DVD drive is to save space and prolong battery life.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-07-26 at 09:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    the only time I ever use my DVD reader is when I have to:
    1. burn a DVD
    2. install an OS
    3. install drivers that come on DVDs/CDs

I don't think I've ever used the DVD drive on my macbook 'cept when I was installing OS X for the first time.

I agree that the DVD format is becoming outdated, but this is going to cause such a hassle reinstalling OSes and whatnot unless you have the OS on a usb stick.
    1. I agree
    2. USB OS Sticks are epic.
    3. CD/DVD drivers are always dated, always get the latest one online.

It's too soon because the software distributors are too cheap to use a $5 USB sticks/flash cards instead of a $0.10 DVD.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-07-26 at 09:31 PM.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rogers:
    Ultra-Light, 2GB cap
    Light, 15GB cap
    Express, 60GB
    Extreme, 100GB
    Extreme Plus, 150GB
    Ultimate, 250GB

I'm sure the majority of the population doesn't pay 100 dollars a month for the ultimate package.

You can't really talk about "better internet" in any of these countries.

being as i use my machine for mostly media, i like my dvd drive. i make movies almost everytime they want them. i think ill be holding onto it for a bit until dvd players get usb or wifi on them with some kind of storage. (yes i know they exist on them already but not everyone has them)

once it becomes the standard like how floppy drives and vhs are gone from the market is when ill remove mine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's too soon because the software distributors are too cheap to use a $5 USB sticks/flash cards instead of a $0.10 DVD.
    I'm sorry, but where do you live?
    at work, all the software comes through downloads (adobe, visual studio and visio).
    at home, all the software comes through downloads (steam, client downloads from their homepage)
    drivers are available online, no need to pop in the CD that came with your GPU anymore.

all in all, the only time I ever use my DVD drive is when I install Windows/OS X, and I already have Windows on my USB stick anyway, just in case.

I live in a country with a 100mbps unlimited PON internet for €20. And I still like to have a DVD burner.
    I have a ton of old software on CD/DVD that can't be found online anymore, several musical CDs with sound quality miles ahead of the crappy mp3s and and about 20-25 DVD movies. All of this have sentimental value and I like to be able to use them.
    Plus several games including WoW (all of the expansions), Diablo 2, Starcraft 2...
    Also Windows 7, MS Office, Windows XP, several dictionaries... I can probably download these and use a flash drive to install them, but I have the original CD/DVDs so why bother ?
    I will probably get Windows 8 on a DVD too. I like how the box looks.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-07-26 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...o-the-DVD.html

So Apple has decided that the DVD is outdated and is starting to phase it out of their machines, starting with the MacMini.

Not sure how I feel about this. While I removed my SuperDrive from my computer in favour of an SSD (and have yet to regret it), I'm sure most people would still prefer to use a DVD. Not everyone has the bandwidth or speeds to download everything, especially in countries like Canada. Plus Apple being the first company to do this, getting 3rd party software will be a bitch until other companies follow suit and start putting software on USB keys instead.
    They're trying to push the App Store (tm) so they can take a 30% cut of all software. Middlemen FTW!

---------- Post added 2011-07-26 at 06:06 PM ----------

Flash memory is not long term storage and might not last as optical discs.

Deleted
    I live in a country with a 100mbps unlimited PON internet for €20. And I still like to have a DVD burner.
    I have a ton of old software on CD/DVD that can't be found online anymore, several musical CDs with sound quality miles ahead of the crappy mp3s and and about 20-25 DVD movies. All of this have sentimental value and I like to be able to use them.
    Plus several games including WoW (all of the expansions), Diablo 2, Starcraft 2...
    Also Windows 7, MS Office, Windows XP, several dictionaries... I can probably download these and use a flash drive to install them, but I have the original CD/DVDs so why bother ?
    I will probably get Windows 8 on a DVD too. I like how the box looks.
    look on the bright side, you can buy an external one in the case that you really need one.