Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can anyone point me to the best online computer building step-by-step guide?

I am not totally helpless, but it's been 5 years since I last built, and going over to mac in those 5 years made me pctarded. All my parts have arrived and I suddenly got a little trepidation about screwing up!

You don't need 'the best', you just need one that is user-friendly and mostly correct and up-to-date.
    I hear Newegg has a series of videos you can use.

But it's pretty simple; Unbox things, keep yourself grounded, use motherboardstands in your case, use cablemanagement holes and follow the manuals that comes with the assorted products, laying most of the weight on the MoBo-manual.

Oh and no petting your cat without grounding yourself afterwards.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Oh and no petting your cat without grounding yourself afterwards.
    Precisely!
    Also, I usually ground myself by touching the PSU, while plugged in and switched off. And case-door. Because I'm paranoid like that.
    Speaking of which, one of my cats insists on helping me whenever I pop the door off. I find it adorable. He loves computers. :3

Haha yah the cat gets the bathroom treatment while I'm doing this . So I looked on newegg.com. No dice.. What's the most user friendly guide then?

I know I'm an idiot for this, but what exactly does "grounding" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mrdrsrow View Post
    Haha yah the cat gets the bathroom treatment while I'm doing this . So I looked on newegg.com. No dice.. What's the most user friendly guide then?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw Part one of their computer-building series.
    I can't really recommend any guides, as I, well, never needed them, and thus don't know what problems people would run into and them needing to know. @_@
    I know I come across as elitististic here, but I never had any issue with it since doing it for the first time, and I'm sorry about that.

I also think that Linus, on NCIX.com's video-channel on youtube had some pretty good build-guides.

---------- Post added 2011-07-28 at 03:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post
    I know I'm an idiot for this, but what exactly does "grounding" mean?
    Grounding means that you discharge any static load you've possibly accumulated.

Static kills electronic devices, so you don't want to discharge onto your components.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Grounding means that you discharge any static load you've possibly accumulated.

Static kills electronic devices, so you don't want to discharge onto your components.
    Right, so the easiest way to do that would be?

Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post
    Right, so the easiest way to do that would be?
    Touching something metalic everytime you've touched fabrics such as clothing, rugs, bedsheets, hair and even worse, cats.

The sidepanel of ones computer, if it's metalic, or a PSU that is plugged in, but with the power-button on the psu itself switched off. That's what I do at least. An ESD-bracelet works as well, meaning you don't have to touch anything. It's a bit redundant, but it saves you having to worry about it.
    Some people also like touching the metalparts on ... well, walloutputs, I think they're called). I'm guessing you have metal-grounds in the Americas on walloutputs as well? (speaking of which, what are they called, properly in English?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Touching something metalic everytime you've touched fabrics such as clothing, rugs, bedsheets, hair and even worse, cats.
    Or yourself! (I'm kidding. That couldn't produce static electricity. x3)

There's ALOT of good step by step videos on youtube for building PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Or yourself! (I'm kidding. That couldn't produce static electricity. x3)
    Oh, I'm absolutely electrifying. *raises eyebrow*
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsandwich732 View Post
    There's ALOT of good step by step videos on youtube for building PC's.
    And a lot of bad advice as well, I'm sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya the Newegg "how to build a computer" parts one, two, and three on Youtube are very good. Ya remember to ground yourself or touch your case if it is metal. PLEASE do not use a magnetic screwdriver either. Magnets=not good for computers.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by naadra View Post
    Ya the Newegg "how to build a computer" parts one, two, and three on Youtube are very good. Ya remember to ground yourself or touch your case if it is metal. PLEASE do not use a magnetic screwdriver either. Magnets=not good for computers.
    those exist? I thought it was the screws that were designed to be magnetic w/ a metal screwdriver? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Newegg "How to Build a Computer" guides!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Probably the best/most thorough guides I've seen in a while. Plus, Paul seems like a pretty cool guy.

Nice guide !! But omg this computer is so ugly ... pinky red , some orange, blue, white, black, its HORRIBLE!

Well after all that I put everything together, no problems.. and then I go to turn it on fo the first time, powers up, fans spinning.. then the dreaded POST fail.. 3 short beeps followed by 5 longer beeps.. how fucked am i? what do i do now?

this is my mobo btw: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130572
    Last edited by mrdrsrow; 2011-07-29 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look in your motherboard manual and it should tell you what is wrong by the beeps that you received, take a look at that first
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by naadra View Post
    Look in your motherboard manual and it should tell you what is wrong by the beeps that you received, take a look at that first
    It doesn't. I tried looking through every page, the English ones at least