Deleted

Just a little concern regarding Prot hit and exp

I know across the board that hit and exp are nil required, but i have recently got some new gear now my hit is at 0.00% and my exp is at 12 glyped.

Is this anything to worry about or should i be looking to get at least something.

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/shattered-hand/Faltline/advanced <- as i cant post links yet.

Feedback very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mmoc50c00e3629; 2011-07-27 at 05:59 PM.

I am somewhat concerned about this myself. I know and have read the Sticky Thread re: Prot Paladins repeatedly and its said threat stats are not to be focused on at all. And thats all fine and dandy, and I know the following is completely subject to RNG, but sometimes I have issues with threat (usually against those arses aka Arcane Mages and Frost DKs ;-) ps -my main is a Frost DK, so i kid but completely understand the threat situation innate) because sometimes my attacks miss or are dodge/parried due to low expertise/hit rating! And it's just frustrating... mostly because there are SOOOO MANYYYY ARCANE MAGESSS AND FROST DKSSSSS!!!! Haha. No but really.. its also specific to heroics in places where dps barely let you drop a single gcd before they frontload damage (which clearly the issue isnt so much my threat as it is their threat) but with that said, it doesn't make my job any easier!

Paladin tanking is fairly easy at times but sometimes threat mechanics can be aggravting because of the "Combo Point" nature of our burst, save for the shield toss. But that said, I love it ;-D

The most annoying thing ever is to pop wings and throw my shield, only to have it miss. ><

However, it's nice having 15% dodge/party and 50% block in my gear level via focusing on avoidance stats and not having to focus on threat stats. Unlike my Enhancement Shaman, where it seems every spare reforge is going to +hit to get my spell hit capped.

When it comes to raids : It's up to you to decide whether it's game breaking or not , in which case you can reforge some parry into hit/expertise ( instead of dodge ).

When it comes to heroics : You can always grab License to Slay ( a JP trinket ) and rock that during heroics.

Deleted
    If you're doing 5 mans it's generally alright to get more exp (and hit if you can't get exp) if you feel that you need it. I keep 2-3 pieces that I can swap on when I tank 5 mans with good DPS. For raids it's generally still frowned upon since on the fights that matter you're usually tanking only 1 mob - the boss. So when you fall behind you can just taunt immediately and be fine.

Like I said though, in 5 mans where you take less damage, tank multiple mobs, usually lack tricks/MD and don't have a full Vengeance stack... yeah, take that exp if you need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    For raids you really need to avoid the threat stats and go for survival stats. Part of prots talent specialization gives you a LOT of spell hit, so your spells shouldn't have too much of an issue landing. Sure losing crusader strikes is going to cost you threat, but even my undergeared paladin has very little problems holding threat against very high dps. The most important thing I feel is make sure you're maximizing your rotation, a lot of people advise the use of inquisition in your rotation as it provides a small threat increase, and do not forget to use divine plea as a threat cooldown if you need it.

My personal opening on most bosses is as follows: Excorsism/Judge/Avenger's shield on the pull, run in and use divine plea with a 3 HP shield of the righteous. Never use Avenging Wrath on the pull imo, it's not as valuable until you get vengeance stacked, although if you're having severe threat problems I would use it right before the shield of the righteous.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hate the fact that we cant use hit and expertise and be considered optimal. I hate the Vengeance mechanic.

Let me say this, I think it is upto dps to throttle themselves when they are about to pull aggro. However, if they have to slow down even more because I dont have the proper hit/exp to put out more threat because its not the "best" reforging, then that is a problem. I've missed with shield of Righteousness 3 times in a row more times than I can remember. My AS shoots off into the sides of my screen all the time. That is my fault and not the dps.

When threat becomes my fault, as the tank, that pisses me off. But, I have to get CTC, so I sacrifice hit/exp. Vengeance is even worse when you two tank stuff. After a taunt, the MT has to sit there and barely auto attack or he'll pull from the tank that jsut taunted. I think its a shitty way to deal with threat. and its one of the most annoying things in this game right now.

Fucking hate vengeance and not being able to use hit/exp. I'm almost to the point where I am just going to ignore that shit and do what I want with my hit/exp.

Sorry for the rant.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a huge fan of the vengeance mechanic. I don't like it that the game is designed with a crutch that basically tells an entire roll to completely ignore stats that have been essential for years.

The good thing about vengeance is that it makes hit/exp not matter in a raid environment. We get to up our CTC and have to rely on tricks, MD, and popping damage cooldowns at the start of a fight. After those initial moments, threat becomes a non-issue. The bad thing about vengeance is that the mechanic is ill suited for the 5-man environment and trash pulls. Five-mans are more of an issue due to the lack of having all of the resources usually available to raids.

As for your gearing direction, everything looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos View Post
    Vengeance is even worse when you two tank stuff. After a taunt, the MT has to sit there and barely auto attack or he'll pull from the tank that jsut taunted. I think its a shitty way to deal with threat. and its one of the most annoying things in this game right now..
    I would recommend keybinding a mouseover macro for Salv and either salving yourself immediately after the other tank taunts, or salving the other tank. Downside is the cooldown on the ability, but it is an option.

Pretty much all the 5-mans can be tanked in high-mastery dps gear with tanking trinkets, or mastery+strength trinkets on, provided you're in T11 or greater.

Although you should swap pieces where appropriate and make sure your group knows what to expect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayure View Post
    I would recommend keybinding a mouseover macro for Salv and either salving yourself immediately after the other tank taunts, or salving the other tank. Downside is the cooldown on the ability, but it is an option.
    Or you could just chill for a few seconds. It's not the end of the world if you have to hold back from hitting buttons.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    Or you could just chill for a few seconds. It's not the end of the world if you have to hold back from hitting buttons.
    Oh, I agree. I do that myself. It has just been my experience with tanks that I have played with that they don't seem to fully understand that they really need to hold off for a bit, despite my repeated warnings. I find it safer just to Salv them after I taunt and be 100% sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Salv has a CD. Also, if I'm using salv on those eager warriors and mages, it isnt available for the other tank or myself.

to Hitsurugi's point, you could chill for a few seconds but if I miss 3 Shield of Righteousness in a row, then auto attacking will pull the boss right back to the other tank. which is the point I'm getting at, its not just "chilling" or not blowing all your cds, its the fact that even when those situtations are in order...i still dont hit the damn boss, and its garbage.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Deleted
    Vengeance is a good example of a mechanic that did it's designated purpose but made the game less fun in the meantime. I can understand why they added it but it still feels a bit clunky overall, there's gotta be some other way to make tank threat scale as well as DPS' damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    ...there's gotta be some other way to make tank threat scale as well as DPS' damage.
    Keep the scaling AP, but make it work with our avoidance/mitigation mechanics instead of taking damage. In that way, a dodge/block/parry or an absorb (only from your own personal absorbs) would increase your Vengeance AP. It would reward proper tank gearing and use of abilities in a way that would make the best tanks stand out (they hold threat and take the least damage) from the bad tanks (they take too much damage and can't hold threat).
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    Keep the scaling AP, but make it work with our avoidance/mitigation mechanics instead of taking damage. In that way, a dodge/block/parry or an absorb (only from your own personal absorbs) would increase your Vengeance AP. It would reward proper tank gearing and use of abilities in a way that would make the best tanks stand out (they hold threat and take the least damage) from the bad tanks (they take too much damage and can't hold threat).
    this so much, shannox last night we had a wipe because while all my abilities at the start and for the first minute hit, i had an extremely lucky dodge/parry streak and was only at 2k ap from vengeance and so doing low threat.

Just keep a set of items in your bag with some hit and expertise on them. Its not like there aren't enough tanking items with those stats on them out there. I use that set for trash and for Alysrazor, and to swap out individually to get myself down to as close to 102.4% CTC as possible.

Deleted
    Definitely, you're about as geared as my holy spec and I can easily heal every normal mode, heck I did just fine with shannox hc the few times I tried before we got our main healer online