Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewelder View Post
    I'm deaf. I'd very much rather be deaf than blind. I can't imagine raiding with vent, it'd probably be way more stressful with idiots talking nonstop.
    you and me both brother..
    -My advice is to chill a little, sit back, and watch Deathwing destroy your world.
    -DID YOU KNOW that the declaration of independence contains 1337 words??

I'd rather be Deaf, I live in California and without sight your fucked. You NEED to able to drive here to make a living.

Blind people can still sense changes in intensity of light so it isn't 'complete and utter darkness'.

I think a better comparison would be sight vs. the rest of your senses.

Also, I'd like to pose a conundrum to you folks: if a child is born without ANY senses whatsoever but all basic physiological functions are present (so they're definitely alive), can the person think?

Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    Full blind you would, I know around here you need to be able to hear the sirens to have a driver's license.

PS: I find it hilarious how a lot people on a gaming forums would rather lose sight than hearing, sounds like you wouldn't be able to enjoy much video games if you can't look at your screen!

PPS: If it was any of the 5 senses, I'd chose Taste though, I can live without my taste buds. ^_^
    There's more to life than the visuals. Honestly I get the world more through my ears than my eyes.
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Quote Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
    Full blind you would, I know around here you need to be able to hear the sirens to have a driver's license.

PS: I find it hilarious how a lot people on a gaming forums would rather lose sight than hearing, sounds like you wouldn't be able to enjoy much video games if you can't look at your screen!

PPS: If it was any of the 5 senses, I'd chose Taste though, I can live without my taste buds. ^_^
    What? Where do you live? Because deafies here are allowed to drive.

It's quite clear that people would choose deaf over blind on a video game forum.
    I'd take either to be honest. Although I hope it never comes to that.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Flying on my Celestial Steed through rainbows eating delicious rainbow coloured marmalade.
    I look at deafness as a form of isolation (blindness as well but in a different way) and I couldn't live without the comfort of the voice of my loved ones.

I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems
    of deafness are deeper and more complex,
    If not more important, than those of blindness.
    Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it
    means the loss of the most vital stimulus - the
    sound of the voice that brings language, sets
    thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual
    company of man.

- Helen Keller

I think I'd rather be deaf. At least I'd have some awareness of my surroundings if I could see. But if I were deaf, everything would just be confusing and I wouldn't know how to comprehend where the sounds were coming from unless I was really used to the area.

Also, sometimes I prefer the quiet anyway.

deaf ppl can play wow

so
    deaf

just no vent then....lolz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Also, I'd like to pose a conundrum to you folks: if a child is born without ANY senses whatsoever but all basic physiological functions are present (so they're definitely alive), can the person think?
    Good question.

I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Look at Beethoven. He deafened in the end and still created masterpieces..
    Well, yes and no...

The story is that Beethoven lost his hearing while working on his 9th Symphony (the one with Ode to Joy in the finale). Allegedly he cut the legs off his piano and pounded the keys as hard as he could so he could feel the vibrations through the floorboards, and at the premiere performance he kept on conducting even after the orchestra had finished because he couldn't hear the music (or the applause).

Seems pretty sad to me. I don't know how Beethoven felt about it... but the 9th was the last symphony he wrote.

/themoreyouknow

EDIT to respond to post above me:
    Can the person do anything BUT think?

Hard to say really. Without sound i dont have to fight the urge to strangle some idiot next to me. Without sight i can "see" more, figuratively speaking of course. Without sound i cant hear music, but without sight i cant play video games/read. I can and have sat for hours thinking, in the pitch black dark of the night, and in pure silence.

I think either one would = suicide. But if even that wasnt an option, then i reluctantly choose deafness.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would love to be involved in a test that allows me to be deaf for a day or blind for a day so that I can actually formulate a proper opinion.

As of right now due to my work and what I enjoy in life I would choose to be deaf. While not having music in my life would be a terrible loss at least I could still work on computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Ive often thought about the idea that we do not think in our own language. Such as, can you recall that deep groundbreaking thought you had, but when you went to relay it, you were incapable? I often see it as, when you know you are thinking or trying to think, you use the language because, more often than not, you are trying to use the thought in daily life. When it just happens, it happens in a "language" only you can understand.

But theres little doubt that most deaf and blind would grow to be pretty low in intelligence. Of course there are exceptions (Helen Keller).

I'd rather be deaf, there's no question. Means you can still game, text / IM, watch tv, cook, see your family and friends. Hearing isn't very important to human survival at all, while it's nice it's no where near as important as sight. There's many ways to communicate with family, friends, strangers being deaf.

I'd probably even give up all my other senses if it meant I could still have sight.

Deleted
    Deaf, no question about it. I wouldn't lose that much not being able to hear and my life would pretty much remain the same. However as blind, life isn't even worth living, I can't even imagine how horrible, boring and pointless everything would be then.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I actually thought about this when i was younger... no idea why. But i'd choose deaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

Deaf. Can still communicate via sign language, and the concept of eternal darkness is rather scary almost

Quote Originally Posted by Kathion View Post
    Why some degree when I still played I always had all of WoW's sounds muted lol
    You probably wouldn't be able to raid, can't use vent.

Being deaf would suck badly. But I'd still be able to do a lot of the things I like as long as I can see. I could still play most video games with only a small loss in effectiveness. But if I'm blind how the hell am I supposed to play an RPG where I have to select things from menus, or a first person shooter. I could also read with a lot less adaptation, and it would be easier to get used to watching movie and TV with subtitles vs hearing everything but not being able to see. Basically, watch a youtube video with subtitles, and mute it. That's what it'd be like to be deaf. Then go watch a different video, but minimize the window instead of muting it, or just close your eyes. That's what it'd be like to be blind. I think I would start enjoying a LOT of foreign films if I went deaf. The biggest hit to me with being deaf would be the loss of music, as I would easily rate listening to music as among my top 5 favorite things to do.