10+ Year Old Account

Computer issue, Sudden drop of frame rate

Hello, So i have been having a sudden drop of frame rate since firelands hit from about average 60 to 30 and sudden drops in fps to 10, in org and such. During heavy progression on Rag i started to over heat for the 1st time ever since owning this computer, my processor wasnt over heating, so it leads me to believe its either my graphics card or something else.

My card is a 4890 ATI HD, Processor is a AMD Phenom 2 with a Antec cooling system.

Any help would be much appreciated

When a wild forum troll appears

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it seems a lot of people are experiencing the frame rate drop since firelands hit really so it could just be the game itself requiring more. Do you experience the same frame rate drop in other games or is it only wow? I would download a Temp monitor program and take a look at your temps while playing. HW monitor or something like that. If it is only happening during WoW I would try a better cooling solution and see if that helps at all, extra fans or maybe open the case and put a fan pointing right at it. Other things of course is disable some add ons etc, but I would see if you experience the same FPS loss in other games first, if it is only wow you will know it is not you and that its the evil Blizzard monster eating your rig hehe. I would also make sure your drivers are up to date as well.

Edit: One other thing you may want to look at is maybe a update or two as well. 4890 is getting up there in age, the phenom 2 should be ok but could always overclock it some for some more performance.
    Last edited by naadra; 2011-07-28 at 06:16 AM.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

I'm currently running an HD4870(a step or two below yours) but with an Intel processor and haven't noticed any fps drops, I'd probably start with a driver update if you haven't done so and checking your system temps or processor load as either of those could effect it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drivers are fully updated, i was thinkin my card is gettin old after about 2 years. But ill check other games as well

When a wild forum troll appears

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im on a ATI 4670HD with a Amd ii x2 245 cpu, very old $250 pc but still works fine, You guys/girls probably won't believe me but I feel the game runs much smoother since 4.2 hit. Also to Note I don't Have *VSYNC* on seeing this is a old card, Just turn vsync off and it will let the card run at full throttle, one thing to make sure is that if your getting close to double your monitors refresh rate (FPS IN GAME)(Usually Its 60 FPS) then turn a few settings on high that way it will balance the card and bring your fps below 100 should you see any screen tear, that should help your low fps. I have most of my options on Medium to High and the game runs between 45-100 fps. In Orgrimmar around 4pm and on its very crowded and I get around 30 fps or lower, its just all the characters moving around, it has nothing to do with your system setup, I had a $2000 pc and in WOTLK Dalaran days it was still very laggy yet I play Bad Company 2 on ultra settings, so that should tell you something, your system can handle it fine, go ahead and look over your ATI Catalyst Settings and change a few things to Performance Mode that should help.

Running:
    Radeon 4870 , E8500 intel cpu, 4gb ram.

had drops on majordomo and ragnaros, turning off recount kept the fps at stable 25 which is more then enough.

Deleted
    Try running wow without any addons, and check if you see a difference. I had the same thing, fps dropping to 2 fps in raid where it normally whas around 60fps. It whas an addon that whas the problem.

Monitor your temps next time you play, and post them here.
    Btw, have you cleared dust from your case (preferably with a can of compressed air)?
    While I changed my graphics card I noticed that my old graphics card had big lumps of dust in the heatsink :P
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |