Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

If fire was buffed would YOU respec?

I don't know about you guys but I am getting a little tired of arcane (and the 1-button sterotype that comes with it). I feel so forced to play arcane because fire just doesn't cut it. Heck, even frost will be a nice change. I am hoping that frost will be good enough when I'm higher geared. Anyways, I was wondering, if fire was buffed to say - 1-2k dps single target lower than arcane, would you respec fire? Or would you still try to push max dps every single target fight? Just wondering on opinions. I personally would so I can enjoy my mage alot more!

Deleted
    Fire requires more skill and obviously more buttons so a definatly yes

Deleted
    Nu uh, ''I'' wouldn't.

i point blank refuse to play arcane because it's a 2 button spec, dont care if fire isn't tops on single target, most firelands bosses have adds and if i do have to go pure single target, i'd rather go frost than bore myself to death playing arcane.

i figure as i'm not trying to go for world firsts, it's not really gonna be a huge difference in overall dps and it's more worrying that i'm still topping the charts as fire :P it does depend on the fight and procs though, sometimes you get blessed with good rng, other times you can go a couple minutes between pyro procs

Deleted
    People dribbling about it being a 1 button spec can easily be ignored, just point out the fact that your one button did more dps than their 12.
    You can also point out that fully maximising your conserve phase is a lot harder than people give credit for.
    And no, I would stay arcane unless fire becomes a higher DPS spec. it's utility is not sufficient to lack the dps of arcane.
    I find arcane more satisfying than fire anyways, the only way to make fire more enjoyable to make it far less RNG and crit dependent, which will only happen with significantly higher combat ratings, much like fire pulled ahead at the end of wrath because of 60% or more crit, we will have similar combat rating towards the end of cata at which point fire may draw ahead again. Till that point, arcane is where the dps is at.

People really need to shrug off people complaining about it being a one button spec. It's not as if their rotation is hard realistically. Anyone's.

Deleted
    I do not like playing arcane very much, but... without me we do not have 3% dmg in our 10m raid... I keep on playing this spec due to our overall-performance.

Fire and frost are more fun, but as long as arcane is competitive I prefer supporting the rest of the raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    People dribbling about it being a 1 button spec can easily be ignored, just point out the fact that your one button did more dps than their 12.
    You can also point out that fully maximising your conserve phase is a lot harder than people give credit for.
    And no, I would stay arcane unless fire becomes a higher DPS spec. it's utility is not sufficient to lack the dps of arcane.
    I find arcane more satisfying than fire anyways, the only way to make fire more enjoyable to make it far less RNG and crit dependent, which will only happen with significantly higher combat ratings, much like fire pulled ahead at the end of wrath because of 60% or more crit, we will have similar combat rating towards the end of cata at which point fire may draw ahead again. Till that point, arcane is where the dps is at.

People really need to shrug off people complaining about it being a one button spec. It's not as if their rotation is hard realistically. Anyone's.
    Gotta go with this. If people annoy you about a '1 button spec stereotype' ignore them and also say to them that your one button does better than they're 12 button rotation :P. Also say to them that to do the most damage, you need to keep your mana high so it's not as easy as it looks.

I loved raiding the previous raid tier as a Fire Mage. When Arcane was buffed, I felt forced to play as Arcane. It was doing a lot more damage, without the RNG highs and lows and I hated it. I took two weeks off the game shortly after. When I saw an Arcane Mage applying to my guild, I suggested they recruit him, and I asked to change classes. We needed a Hunter, so I'm now enjoying that.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Deleted
    yes i would without a second thought

dont care, i`ll even play frost if its on top.

No, but I'm already fire/frost, and have been ever since dual-specs came out. Before that I'd been fire since hitting 60 in vanilla (levelled as frost AOE).

I've tried arcane at various times and never enjoyed it, so it's always been dropped again within a couple of days.

Deleted
    It would probably have to be competitive with Arcane, 1-2k dps behind is still a sizeable difference.

Whilst trying to push progression, you should definitely play the strongest spec - because anything else is just gimping the raid. Personally I enjoy Fire way more than Arcane, but whilst I bring the only 3% damage buff and Arcane is a few thousand dps ahead of Fire in almost every fight, I don't really have a choice.

If frost was given some sort of non shitty AOE and a slight single target buff I would switch to frost in a heart beat. As for fire, I was fire from June 2010 (when it was first buffed) - May 2011 (minus the month or so before cata came out when arcane was retarded op) so I was sort of getting sick of it. Maximizing Arcane's dps is way more fun to me than getting frustrated over relying on luck to maximize my dps as fire after the new combustion and impact came out. Fire is easy for the fact that you can always be casting something and you don't have to think about what you're going to do next because the answer is always right in front of you. Do you have to move? Scorch/LB/HS Pyro. Is combustion coming up soon? Hope you get lucky with crits while your procs are up. Not an aoe fight? Spam fireball mindlessly and hit hot streak anytime it procs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellanmini View Post
    Gotta go with this. If people annoy you about a '1 button spec stereotype' ignore them and also say to them that your one button does better than they're 12 button rotation :P. Also say to them that to do the most damage, you need to keep your mana high so it's not as easy as it looks.
    i've played both arcane mage and feral, and personally, keeping your mana up is a lot easier then maintaining the complete rotation of feral (even if it's easier then it was in wotlk.) being a 2/3 button spec IS easier. also, as feral there is a lot more movement and positioning involved. i'm not saying it's bad to be a 1 button wonder spec, it gives you the oppertunity to react faster and use more utility, but some ppl also need to make the step and actually use thier utility (which a lot of ppl fail at). downside of arcane is that a lot of ppl (including me) find it really boring to just spam a few buttons. there's no challenge, even with utility duties. it's ok to find it fun to play an easy spec, but some ppl just want something that challenges you.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

10+ Year Old Account
    I already play fire.

Arcane is better DPS then fire, but I enjoy fire more so I keep playing that ^^

Deleted
    Personally I am still playing fire and I will never respec to arcane coz its just sucks and its boring as hell. I am doing as good performance at fire as before patch so I don't see any problem. Fire rocks!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    In a heartbeat. I detest Arcane with a passion, not that I prefer Fire that much more, but meh, it's a slight improvement.

If fire was redesigned I would respec. Arcane is pretty simple but it's still some thinking and reacting and most of all planning for the encounter (where should I burn? is there a weakened phase? how do I maximize?). In my opinion fire has been a piece of shit spec since the combat ratings dropped when cata launched. Fire is a very easy spec, almost comparable to arcane I would say, and skill doesn't reward your play much at all. Luck with the dice on the other hand can give you absolutely insane numbers, especially on AoE fights. Bad luck with the dice makes your DPS so bad that it wouldn't be enough for entry level T11 encounters. Arcane isn't an overly interesting spec, but it does the job and there is some tweaking and thinking to it. Most of all it's consistent! I can't stress that enough, playing fire for an entire evening makes me so pissed off that I'm close to breaking my keyboard at the end of the raid. Sadly enough Frost is the most fun mage spec at the moment, and although it's sort of competetive at my gear level, I need much higher Ilvl for it to be completely viable.
    Last edited by Bender; 2011-07-28 at 11:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeh I am agreeing with most of you, arcane is a snorefest but most times, you will require the 3% damage buff or just pushing max dps for progression bosses (my situation atm). I am considering just having fire OS for farm bosses in the future just for fun. Our hunter is in the same situation with hating MM and loving Surv but feeling forced to play MM purely for the fact of dps.

I say 1-2k behind arcane because fire is still an aoe spec, so if you buff its single target too high it would make arcane non-existant.

Sorry I dont respec just because of nerfs/buffs.