Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CPU Cooler Advice

I would like to do some overclocking on my i5 760 and was wondering what cooler would work out best that would also be fairly quiet. Here are a few of my specs if that helps:

Case: Coolmaster HAF 932
    MoBo:Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
    PSU: Corsair 650TXv2

Any overclocking in mind? Space-concerns? Budget-concerns?

The arguably best cooler is Noctua NH-D14, but it takes up a bit of space, and it's quite costly. Decently quiet though.
    If you don't overclock at all, or only to about 3.8GHz, the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 rev 2 should work very fine. And it's even quieter. And a lot cheaper. I used that on my i5-760 until I upgraded to the Noctua.

I use the antec kuhler h20 620... it easily cools my i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz... it's a closed-loop liquid cooling system so it's easy to setup. Oh and it's silent.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Can't remember if you can fit it on a 1366 system, but the best bang for buck cooler on the market right now is the Gelid Tranquillo, which is what I use. You can see from my sig that it cools a moderately overclocked cpu pretty easily. Retails in UK for around £25.
    Failing that, the BeQuiet Darkrock Advanced is absolutely amazing too, though it costs nearer £50.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced C1. And it's by far the most quiet model there is. And the performance is pretty good.
    Raiding for 4 hours with room temperature 24degrees put's me on 48/49 degrees (core i5-760 /w turboboost @ 3.20-3.33). For real-life reference.

Noctua NH-D14:
    Fan Noise high-speed (10 cm.) 47,8 dB(A)
    Fan Noise low-speed (10 cm.) 33,1 dB(A)
    Temperature @ 100 W - High-speed fan 43,6 °C
    Temperature @ 100 W - Low-speed fan 45,7 °C

Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced C1:
    Fan Noise high-speed (10 cm.) 37,5 dB(A)
    Fan Noise low-speed (10 cm.) 18,4 dB(A)
    Temperature @ 100 W - High-speed fan 44,2 °C
    Temperature @ 100 W - Low-speed fan 54 °C

The Be Quiet is a bit warmer, but significantly more silent. So it's your choice (regarding the "-3db is half the noise" rule). There's also the Dark Rock "Pro".

Fan Noise high-speed (10 cm.) 44,8 dB(A)
    Fan Noise low-speed (10 cm.) 22,9 dB(A)
    Temperature @ 100 W - High-speed fan 40,9 °C
    Temperature @ 100 W - Low-speed fan 51,7 °C

Good Luck.

I am fairly new to overclocking so I was thinking of shooting for something around what you said tetrisgoat at 3.8GHz. I just had a look on newegg after I posted and the main ones that came up there were the Corsair ones. I will do some checking for these recommendations, thanks. Also I would rather not spend a ton on it but I am pretty open to price.

Quote Originally Posted by thomolithic View Post
    Can't remember if you can fit it on a 1366 system, but the best bang for buck cooler on the market right now is the Gelid Tranquillo, which is what I use. You can see from my sig that it cools a moderately overclocked cpu pretty easily. Retails in UK for around £25.
    Failing that, the BeQuiet Darkrock Advanced is absolutely amazing too, though it costs nearer £50.
    The i5-760 is a 1156-system.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I use a Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced C1. And it's by far the most quiet model there is. And the performance is pretty good.
    Raiding for 4 hours with room temperature 24degrees put's me on 48/49 degrees (core i5-760 /w turboboost @ 3.20-3.33). For real-life reference.
    Wrong. If it has a fan, it's not the most quiet model there is, by a long shot. There are passive coolers whom are much quieter.

Also, at 4.00GHz, the Noctua cools better than the darkrock at your stock settings. It's a good cooler though, but don't exaggerate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not listen to people who say the NH-D14 gets above 40 dB. It doesn't. Unless they received a broken fan, both of the fans running on max hit, at best, 25 dB. (And tetris I still think you're crazy =P)

I have a HAF 922 and an NH-D14, and I can hear the front LED fan and top case fan over the NH-D14. All of them running at full blast.

The NH-D14 is great. The only downsides are the size, which the 932 should easily accommodate, and the price. If you want to try a closed loop, look into those. It really depends on how hard you want to push your CPU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 rev 2 should work very fine.
    just got this one myself, like it

Quote Originally Posted by Brogrom View Post
    I am fairly new to overclocking so I was thinking of shooting for something around what you said tetrisgoat at 3.8GHz. I just had a look on newegg after I posted and the main ones that came up there were the Corsair ones. I will do some checking for these recommendations, thanks. Also I would rather not spend a ton on it but I am pretty open to price.
    The Corsair closed-loop ones are "okay"ish. They aren't as good as the Antec Kühler H20's, but they are okay.
    I'd get a good air-cooler instead, whom are better. If you replace the fans and shroud them, the Corsair-coolers are pretty good though. But that's a bit too much hassle for most people, not to mention they suddenly get a bit larger.
    But if you're not after perfection, they sure will suffice

this is all you need.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tetrisgoat, those temperatures (48-49) are what i have with Q-fan on quiet, so it's not even running 100%. And the data (also @Muya) i posted is by a respected dutch review site that tests ALL fans with the same testequipment at the same distance. So even if the endvalues are incorrect, the difference in sound is not discussable. These values are real life measurements, <25db is BS muya. They also place the coolers on a heated plate instead of a processor, so the "load" is always stable, not during a benchmark on an actual processor which can fluctuate. I'm not trying to force a product. Only linking that data, and giving my personal experience with the advanced C1. It's pricey for it's performance, but it's really quiet compared to the rest, and it's build properly.

Good Luck with your purchase.

15+ Year Old Account
    US Configuration (using newegg.com)
    CPUHS: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
    Total Price: $25 USD

CPUHS: Corsair A70
    Total Price: $41 USD

CPUHS: Corsair H60
    Total Price: $70 USD

CPUHS: Noctua NH-D14
    Total Price: $90 USD

CPUHS: Corsair H80
    Total Price: $110 USD
    Those are the coolers I like, but with Newegg realizing the 212+ isn't a $50 product finally and dropping the price back to $25, it's hard to pass that one up. Toss two FDB fans on there and you have a kick-ass cooler for $50
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Majest: You didn't really link data. o.o You just... recited it.

Deleted
    Wowser, check the Noctua fanbois here! Quite freaky really, especially when you read the large majority of component reviewers in the UK go with the Darkrock for Cooling and Audibility over the Noctua.
    I stick with my choice though, Gelid Tranquillo ftw!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowser, check the Noctua fanbois here! Quite freaky really, especially when you read the large majority of component reviewers in the UK go with the Darkrock for Cooling and Audibility over the Noctua.
    I noticed :P I had to abandon thread.

To be honest, the fanboys do appear to be the Darkrock-users, if anything, then.

The Noctua is evidently the best cooler for noise at heatdissipation at extreme overclocks, barring custom-loop. Anything else is opinion. Yours is quite poor, at that.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, the fanboys do appear to be the Darkrock-users, if anything, then.

The Noctua is evidently the best cooler for noise at heatdissipation at extreme overclocks, barring custom-loop. Anything else is opinion. Yours is quite poor, at that.
    The Noctua has proven after many stress tests to give the best temperature differential above ambient of anything that's been linked in this read - and usually by quite a bit. There's no beating it until liquid cooling; and not the corsair H-series.

Deleted
    Seeing as i'm being called a Darkrock fanboy, even though I don't own one (lol?) I'll just post this and be out of your way

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...ooler-review/1

Bearing in mind the Darkrock isn't included on this list as it was manufactured after this review. You can look up those results yourself if you feel like disproving some more.

---------- Post added 2011-07-29 at 02:19 AM ----------

Oh, and how is it 'evidently'?

Seeing as i'm being called a Darkrock fanboy, even though I don't own one (lol?) I'll just post this and be out of your way

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...ooler-review/1

Bearing in mind the Darkrock isn't included on this list as it was manufactured after this review. You can look up those results yourself if you feel like disproving some more.

---------- Post added 2011-07-29 at 02:19 AM ----------

Oh, and how is it 'evidently'?
    That test is /facepalm worthy. The CPU is barely overclocked (only to 3.6). Overclock the same CPU to 4.4 GHz and above, then compare.
    The Noctua NH-D14s strength is that once the overclocks push the boundaries of possibility, it keeps temps cooler than anything else save customloops.
    Who cares about coolingcapacity at an extremely lightweight overclock? ANY cooler can handle that.
    &nbsp;