Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am still reading Speaker for the Dead, I have not had a lot of time to read....in other news the book I recently read is getting a tv show! Maybe it will give me a firefly feeling.
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-09-22 at 05:02 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Probably gonna pick up The Shining to read at some point, I kinda want to get he sequel Doctor Sleep when it comes out.

#10 Malazan. Eh. Glad it will be over, but I'll miss a few characters.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Probably gonna pick up The Shining to read at some point, I kinda want to get he sequel Doctor Sleep when it comes out.
    Be prepared to not sleep when you're reading The Shining...he really did a fantastic job with that book, and it is freaky as all hell

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by forwards1ca View Post
    Be prepared to not sleep when you're reading The Shining...he really did a fantastic job with that book, and it is freaky as all hell
    Just remember to keep it in the freezer.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I am still reading Speaker for the Dead, I have not had a lot of time to read....in other news the bok I recently read is getting a tv show! Maybe it will give me a firefly feeling.
    Ooh, I really enjoyed it. My dad and a lot of people on this forum actually stated they thought Card was a one hit wonder with Ender's Game but I personally have enjoyed all his books (Only two so far). I haven't read much in years but I read Ender's Game in about a week and Speaker for the Dead just as quick. Now I'm on to Children of the Mind.

If you enjoy speaker, there was a deal on Amazon where I got 9 books (the 4 ender series, 4 shadow series and ender in exile which takes place after ender's game) for about 40 bucks.

Signature Created by Jassinta

I really liked Ender's Game when I read it years ago, but I simply cannot read OSC now having realised he is a raging psychotic bigot.

Currently reading Saturn's Children by Charles Stross, about a biomechanical "pleasure companion" created by humans but born after the last humans became extinct. I just started and like Stross' other books I have read (Accelerando, Glasshouse), what it starts out as apparently being about turns into something quite different.

I have become quite fond of Stross and he has a significant body of work I'm looking forward to exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    I really liked Ender's Game when I read it years ago, but I simply cannot read OSC now having realised he is a raging psychotic bigot.
    Yes, his views do bother me quite a bit but I won't let that stop me from seeing the movie (which I really hope is good!) or reading his books.

I personally don't understand people who refuse to a see movie because it has a certain actor. For example I have friends who flat out refuse to see any movie that has Tom Cruise in. I mean, I hate Leo DiCrapio. but I'll still watch his movies. This sort of logic just doesn't make sense to me.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    53% through Feast for Crows by George R R Martin.

First 40% of the book was rather slow but it's really picking up the pace now. Love it. CAN'T WAIT FOR DANCE OF DRAGONS.

Anything involving Warhammer 40k. Especially anything involving both that and Dan Abnett.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Yes, his views do bother me quite a bit but I won't let that stop me from seeing the movie (which I really hope is good!) or reading his books.

I personally don't understand people who refuse to a see movie because it has a certain actor. For example I have friends who flat out refuse to see any movie that has Tom Cruise in. I mean, I hate Leo DiCrapio. but I'll still watch his movies. This sort of logic just doesn't make sense to me.
    I agree. I hate Tom Cruise for some indefinable reason, the only thing I think he's been really great in is Tropic Thunder and Rock of Ages. He's always in great movies though so I'd be missing out on a lot if I didn't see them because he's in them.

On Topic: OSC really isn't that bad about putting his own beliefs and feelings into his books, look at Alvin Maker, not a whole lot of Mormonism in there. If you want to see someone who puts their own beliefs into their books read Sword of Truth. Finally got through my reread of Sword of Truth and by the end it ended up feeling like a chore. Just got real tired of the repeated preaching.

Re-reading Sword of Shannara now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Started reading Brandon Sanderson's mistborn serie. I'm about 1/3 into the first book, not sure what to say, it's not bad but it's not mind blowing stuff either.
    Well I liked it. The sequel to the trilogy was meh though imo.

OT: Just started the Hyperion Cantos today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

To be fair,w hen he wrote the first couple of the Enders series, he wasn't psychotic. I kind of think he contracted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis and lost his shit at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

I just finished RA Salvatore's The Companions, which is fantasy, and now I am going to start Mark Levin's The Liberty Amendments, which is about the government. I like to change it up.

To be fair,w hen he wrote the first couple of the Enders series, he wasn't psychotic. I kind of think he contracted http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphilis and lost his shit at some point.
    Heh, nice.

I do understand the not holding a person's personal beliefs or agenda against their artistic output, but Card, I just cannot, personally speaking, enjoy his stuff knowing he's so batshit crazy intolerant.
    I mean, I really liked Ender's Game and I fully intend on seeing the movie as I've long thought it'd make for a great film. But reading a book is really getting inside an author's head and OSC's head is not somewhere I want to be or be invited to enter, if that makes any sense.

Heh, nice.

I do understand the not holding a person's personal beliefs or agenda against their artistic output, but Card, I just cannot, personally speaking, enjoy his stuff knowing he's so batshit crazy intolerant.
    I mean, I really liked Ender's Game and I fully intend on seeing the movie as I've long thought it'd make for a great film. But reading a book is really getting inside an author's head and OSC's head is not somewhere I want to be or be invited to enter, if that makes any sense.
    I don't know what this author's views are, but I always love this "logic". I am going to be completely intolerant of his views because I see his view as intolerant. I think I will call him a bigot too just to make myself feel better. Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    finishing dresden files "turn coat" for a second time. have a half chapter left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jero View Post
    I don't know what this author's views are, but I always love this "logic". I am going to be completely intolerant of his views because I see his view as intolerant. I think I will call him a bigot too just to make myself feel better. Classic.
    Thinking gays should be killed, blacks should be deported, and muslims should be executed is pretty intolerant. There is no reason to listen to or agree with someone like that. But good job trying to make yourself feel better by claiming that anyone who doesn't listen to small minded bigots is a small minded bigot themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    Done with the massive Under The Dome and now it is time for the first Game of Thrones book! I know I am very late to the party

Currently reading Mihail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. I've been recommended this one for years and I finally thought it would be time to get to it.
    Last edited by Aero-; 2013-10-18 at 12:35 PM.