Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I know that I couldn't. The best guild I was in was probably around world rank 200 at that time, and raiding in that environment was already a really stressful experience for me. What I realised was:
    - I was too afraid of making mistakes, which hindered my play and had me focusing too much on boss abilities and too little on dpsing.
    - Anything more than 4 raid days burns me out too quickly, I was actually happy when I wasn't in the setup after a while
    - I was just good enough to tag along, but not good enough to make an impact. I wouldn't say that I was simply carried, but if the guild only consisted of players at my skill level it wouldn't have been top 200

All this combined made me realise that while I consider myself a good player, I'm nowhere near the top skill/stamina/dedication wise. Not being bad at WoW is easy enough, but being a top player is a completely different story. It takes way more than topping dps meters in a random top 2500 guild... I think alot of people underestimate that fact that things get way harder if you are playing under constant pressure.

E: I also think it's funny how many people are like "if I had better internet connection and PC I'd be top 5 no problem". Pretty weak excuse imo, if you switched computer+connection with a top 5 guild player they would still outperform you with ease... the probably best player I was in a guild with had a total piece of shit wooden pc, and still performed the best
    Last edited by paloo; 2011-07-31 at 11:10 AM.

ive done it before so...yes i could raid with them if i had the time to raid on their schedules.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I recall playing with couple people that ended up in... Ensidia I think? I certainly don't remember them being superhumans and performing at level unavailable to (really) "good" players. Of course, time spent and dedication was incomparable.

Myself? No idea. I was thinking about it few times - not from a level of "World First" guild, of course. More of a "could I succeed in a "better" guild, raiding as regular grunt, rather than Raid Leader in my own?". Might be possible - being able to follow someone else instructions and focusing on your own job is much easier than coordinating other 24 people. Without worrying about so many different things, I could probably do better. Can't quite tell, most people never played in a team where you know you can trust every other player to do their job almost perfectly. There's always 'someone' who does something wrong, and it can indirectly affect your performance.

I think some people discount other people based on their progression way too easily. According to Mek, (former officer of Ensidia) some of the best recruits they ever got were from guilds with terrible progression. A lot of really bad guilds have one or two extremely skilled players, and the little bit of progression they get is from being carried by those people. If someone says they're skilled enough to be in a top end guild, there's a very real possibility that they might actually be. Take me for example, I have everything it takes to be in a top end guild accept for willingness to commit to it, and I can prove it. I can do basic math with a calculator, (theorycrafting is hard!) I know the fights, I can play my class. All of that can be proved very easily with some light conversation about dpsing and linking some WoL parses. All that's left to prove is actual skill. So what is skill? I would say that skill is reaction time, coupled with critical thinking and useful application of that reaction time. Anyone ever heard of a game called Devil May Cry 4? That is a game entirely based on reaction time and fast finger movement. I have several world top 10 scores on the leaderboards for Dante Must Die! mode, aka very hard mode. That proves that I am more skilled than millions of other players at something that is pure skill. Skill in an action game or FPS easily translates to wow. You just need to learn to apply your speed in a useful way. After that it all comes down to learning and experience. So when I claim I could be in a top end guild, it's true and I can prove it. And for anybody that says, "Lol you're all lieing to yourselves! You're not good enough to be in a top guild!" I would just like to say that you shouldn't underestimate people just because you don't know them.

One thing some people probably have not experienced is going into these encounters not knowing what is going is to happen. This means they have to think on their feet, know when to spread, group up, what to avoid, what not to avoid, etc. I guess each time they wipe, they spend some time looking at log to see what happen, what killed people, what the boss did etc and figure out what needs to be done to avoid certain mechanics and what needs to be done to get the kill.

Do I have the theorycrafting knowledge, personal performance, and raid awareness necessary to succeed in a top guild? I think so; I'm consistently one of my guild's most survivable raiders, have been at-fault in less than a dozen wipes over the last two years with them, and have ranked on WoL many times.

Could I quit my job, sink in the 40+ hours a week, and be patient through the 500+ wipes necessary to compete for world firsts? Absolutely not, even if I was being paid by a sponsor.

I like this game as a 9hr/week activity with people I've known for years, but I could not play it as a full-time job.

"We could be up there in the top10 easily, I mean these bosses don't really feel that hard now we're doing them with a dozen lockouts of gear and nerfs, it's just that we can't raid 12 hours a day every day of the week every month in the year."

-every semi-hardcore guild I have ever been in.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had the time for it, maybe. That's not to say I'm an awesome player, or better than everybody in this thread, but I think that, honestly, as long as you have the time to invest in it you can hold your own in a top tier raiding guild.

Deleted
    I'm 100% certain I could manage it from a "skill" point of view. As for dedication to gearing up/farming/wiping constantly I just can't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by paloo View Post
    E: I also think it's funny how many people are like "if I had better internet connection and PC I'd be top 5 no problem". Pretty weak excuse imo, if you switched computer+connection with a top 5 guild player they would still outperform you with ease... the probably best player I was in a guild with had a total piece of shit wooden pc, and still performed the best
    Hm, sometimes is a matter of reality and not excuses. The internet connection is a big issue to me at least. Not that i can't interrupt well, or using well timed cd's. But clipping 100ms+ of my envenom buff make me lose a little bit of dps and make me lag behind the rest. Or managing Combat as a rogue with the cp/energy regen. Probably, if i had the connection, i could be up there, AFTER hard dedication and work. Not that you will give me a 30ms connection and i will be the top Rogue in the world, but if you give me time, i can do it. Oh....and i LOVE pressure, the pressure to be at the top, gameplay/dps wise. Being a raid leader myself i just hate how the people in my server (LA) can't handle the pressure well and instantly go -emo mode- if you say to them they are underperfoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    "We could be up there in the top10 easily, I mean these bosses don't really feel that hard now we're doing them with a dozen lockouts of gear and nerfs, it's just that we can't raid 12 hours a day every day of the week every month in the year."

-every semi-hardcore guild I have ever been in.
    That. Dedication to the game =/= having 24 hours to play. Is about quality time and learning from mistakes (And not doing them again) and knowing before engaging a boss were you can exploit your class abilities....(Name...dunno...Feint + CloS on my rogue)

if i had the time, and a sub 100ms ping like most americans, yes i could carry my own weight i think

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I'm well above average, thanks
    Then why do you always make such retarded posts that make me believe 110% you don't know how warlock mechanics work? I actually browse the warlock forums here sometimes to see if you've posted anything new cuz I just can't WAIT to see what new facepalm comment you've made. The guild you're in must a be a fluke or you're heavily carried or both. I've never seen someone so clueless in a guild worth mentioning.

I'm flattered that you followed me all the way from the warlock forums to here

10+ Year Old Account
    Alot of raiders could.

There is a point where time invested over skill takes place and most people would just need that, time.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Like what a few peopel said already, the real issue is Focus. To pull it in a top guild you need to always bring your A-game which can be pretty hard after 200 wipes. Skill isn't really a huge issue, the skill cap is quite low for most roles.

15+ Year Old Account
    'If I would like and have the time to play for World First I could for sure'.

http://www.methodwow.com/board/forum...5-Applications

Saved Applications 12
    Declined Applications 1390

<3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I think some people discount other people based on their progression way too easily. According to Mek, (former officer of Ensidia) some of the best recruits they ever got were from guilds with terrible progression. A lot of really bad guilds have one or two extremely skilled players, and the little bit of progression they get is from being carried by those people. If someone says they're skilled enough to be in a top end guild, there's a very real possibility that they might actually be. Take me for example, I have everything it takes to be in a top end guild accept for willingness to commit to it, and I can prove it. I can do basic math with a calculator, (theorycrafting is hard!) I know the fights, I can play my class. All of that can be proved very easily with some light conversation about dpsing and linking some WoL parses. All that's left to prove is actual skill. So what is skill? I would say that skill is reaction time, coupled with critical thinking and useful application of that reaction time. Anyone ever heard of a game called Devil May Cry 4? That is a game entirely based on reaction time and fast finger movement. I have several world top 10 scores on the leaderboards for Dante Must Die! mode, aka very hard mode. That proves that I am more skilled than millions of other players at something that is pure skill. Skill in an action game or FPS easily translates to wow. You just need to learn to apply your speed in a useful way. After that it all comes down to learning and experience. So when I claim I could be in a top end guild, it's true and I can prove it. And for anybody that says, "Lol you're all lieing to yourselves! You're not good enough to be in a top guild!" I would just like to say that you shouldn't underestimate people just because you don't know them.
    This is very true because I'm like that. I know I'm more than skilled enough to be in a hardcore guild killing bosses in heroic modes but I choose to be in a social guild for the people.

So if I had the time I'm sure I'ld be able to do it.

Nope. Don't have the time to raid that much.

no i could not
    i really get bored while fighting bosses and fighting the same boss all other again(500 times ive heard)... no thats not the way i like to play

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkiper View Post
    The ONLY difference between most top 100 raiders and the top 5 is the raiding hours. Raiding 18 hours a day on progress for top 5 compared to 4-5 days at 3-5 hours.
    heh .