Couple of queries on a new build

Planning to do my first self build using : (apologies i cant put links in)

Intel i5 2500K 3.3ghz
    Asus P8P67 REV 3.0 lga1155 ddr3 atx
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB ( x2 4GB) ddr3 1600mhz
    OCZ Tech PSU ModXStream Pro 700w
    Samsung 1TB spinpoint f3
    Coolermaster cm 690 II Advanced
    HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 - Sapphire/ MSI Twin Frozr II

If anyone can spot obvious errors with hardware compatability or alternatives for almost identical prices and better performance id love to hear them otherwise..
    Queries I have are :
    - what if anything is the difference between that mobo and the "PRO" version apart from a £20+ price increase
    - is 700w enough to run this, pretty sure the gpu claims to need 500w
    - will most probably overclock so need a cpu cooler, when looking a lot dont seem to support 1155 chips but 1156, can you use one for 1156 on a 1155?
    - I would much prefer a modular psu to manage cables but dont want to pay huge prices for it
    - Is there any difference between graphics cards from different manufacturers except the looks and price?

10+ Year Old Account
    The PRO has 2 extra SATA 6Gbps ports over the normal. 700w is more than overkill as that 500w requirement/recommendation is an estimate for an entire system surrounded around the GPU. Any heatsink that supports LGA 1156 will typically work on LGA 1155. I recommend a Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink or if you want cheaper go for a Corsair A70/Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

For graphics cards, some manufacturers tend to put different heatsinks on their cards that improve the overall cooling capability of it while also making it quieter than normal heatsinks. Honestly it's up to you if you want to spend the little extra but I definitely would recommend it.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-07-30 at 07:04 PM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

thanks for that info.

Another thing that may help is feedback on graphics cards, started pondering over the 6950 2gb for ~£220 or gtx 570 1280mb for ~£250 (both msi twin frozr editions)
    quite honestly from reviews they are fairly close but ive noticed the 570 seems to be ranked a tier higher and generally outperforms the 6950 and £30 saving from opting for the 6950 seems nothing.
    I've always had nvidia cards but in the past they have seemed to be overpriced compared to other amd/atis
    hoping some comment can settle my mental battle ^^

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The 2GB of GDDR5 on the 6950 is a bit of a waste unless you are running multiple monitors or plan too. While it would be great to say that over the next 3 or 4 years we're going to see games that can utilize that much video memory no one knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by aiuda View Post
    Another thing that may help is feedback on graphics cards, started pondering over the 6950 2gb for ~£220 or gtx 570 1280mb for ~£250 (both msi twin frozr editions)
    quite honestly from reviews they are fairly close but ive noticed the 570 seems to be ranked a tier higher and generally outperforms the 6950 and £30 saving from opting for the 6950 seems nothing.
    I've always had nvidia cards but in the past they have seemed to be overpriced compared to other amd/atis
    hoping some comment can settle my mental battle ^^
    GTX570 is indeed 'tier up' from Radeon 6950, that's why the higher price. 6970 is meant to compete with 570 and both perform about the same. Whatever you end up buying, take the "twin frozr" model simply because the cooler is better than in 9 cards out of 10 from other manufacturers.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

think im sold, thanks for advice \o/

6950 is a great buy, especially if you overclock... it has a lot of headroom for overclocking (did mine 800mhz -> 950mhz).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.