Thread: New graphiccard

New graphiccard

So it seems my graphiccard is on the way to the graphiccard-heaven, and I'm kind of screwed since im in a financial vacuum at the moment and really couldn't afford anything extra.
    But, can't live without a computer, so I need some help regarding the choices.
    I currently have (had for the last few years) a Sapphire radeon hd 3870, wich has served me very well, even the new games it has been able to run very smoothly (on lower settings, but that's ok with me.)
    Since i now have to replace it tho, I wanted to ask what would be the cheapest possible solution to get an equally good card. I havn't followed the evolving of computer components at all, so i really don't have a clue as to how much performance increase there has been and how the prices have changed.
    It doesn't need to be better, it definately shouldn't be a lot better (since im trying to minimize the cost), but it shouldn't be worse either, I still want to be able to play games aswell.

So, any opinions of wich card I should get or atleast point me in the general direction? Remember i don't want anything fancy, just something equal to my old card that doesn't cost a lot.

Thanks for the help in advance.

It would help quite alot if you gave some kind of min/max budget you have. If you want something equal to your old card, then buy the same old card again XD But if you want something better, you'll at least need to say how much you're willing to spend.

Deleted
    Something like a Radeon 5770 or 5750 (if you really need to push it) is about as low as I'd go for a new GPU purchase.

I suppose if you're really strapped for cash a 5670 would also work; upside is some of those come passively cooled. All of the above should be faster (the 5770 almost doubly so) compared to your 3870.

There should be 6xxx equivalents of the above as well, but I'm not so familiar with the performance and price ranges of these.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-07-31 at 05:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your budget?

Well I really can't give you a budget, since i looked at the store prices and there are cards from 20 euros to 1200 euros, and like said I have no clue how good they are or what they are capable of.
    I would look into them some more if I could, but it's a horrible pain to do anything with the computer at the moment, it only starts in safemode and even then then the screen is filled with black tiny squares that take over half of the screen surface and coloured lines and boxes flashing around everywhere, it's really hard to read anything.
    I would say 70 euros tops.
    Edit:// wait, wait... I misred your post about those radeons, (damn you black boxes), I was looking at the 5570 instead of the 5770 . THose cost around 130E wich is too much already
    Other suggestions are also welcome since the delivery for those suggested 2 models would be around 3 weeks from this one store im looking at, ofc ill have to check other ones aswell tho.

Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming
    Last edited by Daurss; 2011-07-31 at 05:11 PM.

I'm all in on the 5770. I still run one while I wait on a complete upgrade. That thing is pretty beasty for its price (around $100 currently, I'm pretty sure).

Mine is currently paired with a Athlon x2 4400 at 2.3 ghz. The Cpu takes a dump and drops framerates before the card does. I get 150-170 Fps in empty old world content in wow and 25-40 in SW/Org with settings at a High/Ultra Mix. Shadows turned down 2 notches and view distance around 3/4.

Deleted
    Think a 6670 would work quite nicely with the budget. Here at least its faster and cheaper than the 5670 and seems to perform on par with the 5750. Again, it'll be faster, quieter, and cooler than your old one - in addition to the more expected DX11 support and improved video hardware acceleration (for movies etc).
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-07-31 at 05:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You were using a single hd 3870? And still were able to keep up with the current games? Are you sure you aren't mixing it up to 4870 ?

As you can't most likely find any hd 3870's anymore, similar performance to it would be hd 5570. I would, however, seriously consider finding the money and upping your budget and buying something like gtx 550 Ti or hd 6770. Both of those are around 100 to 120$ price point whereas hd 5570 is around 60$. There's cards between those too, obviously, hd 6750 (100$ ish) > hd 6670 (80$ ish), not sure about the geforce equivalents.

Seriously though, try to stretch the budget, you'll be happier in the long run .

Yes well atleast games like Dragon age 2 and bulletstorm ran smoothly still (Well to be fair bulletstorm had some parts where it lagged a bit) with the 3870

I guess i'll have a closer look at those models still and see what i can come up with, atleast I got now some idea what i should be looking at
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and fast help !