Death Knight PVP, clarification?

I've been searching for quite some time now, and I've yet to come up with anything definitive. Mismatched and misleading information has only left me more confused than when I started.

As DW frost, does mastery outweigh haste, or vice versa? I've also seen some that completely ignore Obliterate altogether and some that argue otherwise. The same for keeping diseases up. Is Obliterate a key ability? And outside of Unholy do I need to worry about 100% uptime on diseases?

The general vibe I've gotten so far was to spam Necrotic Strike + Frost Strike KM procs, but should I pick up Rime etc for Obliterate? What abilities should I not be using?
    Last edited by RezPlz; 2011-08-01 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to be playing anything and everything this season with Dk's, I've been back and forth many times between going DW frost and 2Hand frost, I can't stand unholy with the super buggy ghoul so I try not to touch it. However from what I have read here http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/20...w-v-frost2huh/ It seems as though dw frost does 4xHB and 2x NS while using KM procs on FS so you would skip rime.
    Lovely signature made by Visenna!

15+ Year Old Account
    i don't particularly like DW in PvP but mastery is better than haste yeah, since your pressure comes from FS dumping. i think it's better to avoid Oblit altogether with mastery stacking, Frost Runes on HB, Unholy on Necro, Death on whatever. with this you don't need to worry about Blood Plague really at all, as it doesn't affect any of your damage and Frost Fever is kept up with HB.

Quote Originally Posted by lilisk View Post
    ... so you would skip rime.
    Why would you skip an absolutely free attack that does decent damage with the potential to slow your opponents (if talented)?
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkdepot View Post
    Why would you skip an absolutely free attack that does decent damage with the potential to slow your opponents (if talented)?
    because its an RNG chance on Obliterate to proc it, which you may not use very often.

I'm partial to Frost this season just because I prefer the playstyle, but it definitely seems like both Frost and Unholy have their individual strengths and are viable.

I haven't tried 2h Frost this season because I haven't yet got a weapon for it, so for now I'm sticking with DW 2x Obsidium Cleavers, and it's working quite well

Which stat should I be reforging to mastery, crit or haste? And is it so dependent on mastery that I should be gemming and chanting for it too?

15+ Year Old Account
    get the hit cap (5%) then everything goes to mastery for reforging. you'll want to gem and enchant resi, str/resi and spell pen to 195. if you can enchant mastery in place of something that isn't strength that you can do but i think boots are the only place you can do that.

The people you see with oblit still in their spec (me included) are most of the time doing the unholy and death runes for necrotic strike and frost for chains/HB, but they keep oblit for execute opportunities. There will be times when you are going for a kill that you won't have RP for some reason but you will have runes, and 4 howling blasts ain't gonna cut it, but 3 oblits will certainly hurt sub 35%. I would say that those that get rime are dropping something else, I personally have been dropping bladed armor to pick up more utility in bgs (not doing arena atm). The rime proc happens quite often and in bgs you don't need to NS stack as much as you would in arena.

You skip Rime because howling blast isnt your strongest attack and the only really good time to use it is when your target has gotten away from you. The way most people have geared recently is to have a TON of mastery which makes frost strikes hit like a truck. The runic power generation of frost is also through the roof so why would you waste a hard hitting frost strike for a mediocre hitting howling blast. Waste of pts in my opinion.

I haven't done any pvp on my death knight since early Wrath, so is UH presence still preferred? And is it worth it to pick up Improved Frost Presence?

Quote Originally Posted by RezPlz View Post
    I haven't done any pvp on my death knight since early Wrath, so is UH presence still preferred? And is it worth it to pick up Improved Frost Presence?
    Im still interested in this as well. On a dummy, I do the same DPS in Frost or Unholy presence. So apparently I am doing something wrong.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unholy Presence. Don't pick up Imp. Frost Presence.

You do not use Obliterate enough to warrant three talent points in [Rime]. Also, you cannot spare the points from anywhere else. It's like the Sub tree for Rogues, there's loads of great talents you skip, because the ones you take are just better and irreplaceable.
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-08-02 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMac84 View Post
    Im still interested in this as well. On a dummy, I do the same DPS in Frost or Unholy presence. So apparently I am doing something wrong.
    Dummies don't move. In PVP, you want the speed UH Pres gives over Frost Pres. I have spec'd completely out of Oblit. I feel, and experience so far proves this, that Annihilation and Rime are not needed. I would still take Imp Frost Pres for the RP bonus.