Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Spending 2000 dollars on a computer for World of Warcraft is honestly absurd and laughable. WoW is not demanding in any regard whatsoever in context of high end gaming, and 2000 dollars is what you pay to play a game like Crysis on max settings.
    Trying to raid 25-man instances with all settings maxed without too much lag will require pretty hefty computer, well over $1000 total.

I'm sorry to be brash, but that's idiotic.
    It's pretty overkill in every category as to what you have picked.
    Only thing idiotic here is when people think that doing questing/arenas on 1280x1024 resolution and 25-man raids on 1920x1080 resolution have same system requirements.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecynic View Post
    I changed the PSU, GPU, and SSD based on your suggestions Demon. I chose the Seagate HDD because I've had issues with WD in the past and in my experience my Seagate drives have been more reliable. However I am willing to give them another shot. It seems most people on these forums tend to use suggest them, so why not? I'll add the CPUHS as well. The price is getting a little higher than I had hoped as I do still need a mouse and speakers. Should I ditch the blu-ray for something else? If it does get too high, what would you downgrade or get rid of all together first?
    Unless you plan to watch movies in 3D on your PC, there's no real reason to get a Blu-Ray drive.... (If you actually already watch Blu-Rays I'd guess you already have a Blu-Ray player hooked up to the TV. Drop it down to a standard DVD-RW drive, for about $/£14

Spending 2000 dollars on a computer for World of Warcraft is honestly absurd and laughable. WoW is not demanding in any regard whatsoever in context of high end gaming, and 2000 dollars is what you pay to play a game like Crysis on max settings.
    Funnily enough, even spending that amount of money on a new PC every 5 - 6 years still makes it a much cheaper "hobby" than cruising around on your bike or in your car, clubbing and watching movies at the cinema.

Also you can't compare Crysis to WoW, personally while Crysis is a great game, it only actually lasted a week before it was completed and pretty much game over. WoW on the other hand is a game which evolves around you, and as such is worth far more from in entertainment value.

I'd guess your the kind though that likes to spend excessive amounts of money on Alcohol, Smokes and more Alcohol, which is fine. Just realise that a PC will do you a thousand times better than that extra pint of beer you throw down your throat in a single gulp at a party.

Realise that there are all kinds of different people, who like to spend their money on different things. Some of us like to spend it on cars, others alcohol, others smokes, others picking up girls at the club (aka alcohol), others of us would rather spend it on Computers.
    I know people who spend in a month on alcohol and cinemas what I spend on a PC in 5 years.

Not to mention that the PC isn't EVER ONLY for one thing, that might be the main thing you tend to do on it, but the better spec will also shine through when you try and do anything else too (Making movies/video clips/music, editing pictures, you name it.)

It's also idiotic and a waste of money to drink and smoke. It's idiotic for the absolute vast majority of people to have cars, since public transit will be available for them. And it's idiotic to play videogames because you can just go outside and meet people.

Right?

If someone asks for advice and want a beast, we give them beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Also you can't compare Crysis to WoW, personally while Crysis is a great game, it only actually lasted a week before it was completed and pretty much game over. WoW on the other hand is a game which evolves around you, and as such is worth far more from in entertainment value.
    Personally, I disagree. WoW in Cataclysm gets old faaaaaast. I can only play a week here and a week there. While the most polished, it's also the worst expansion in terms of enjoyment.

Wheras Crysis 2 has fun replay-value and good online modes. It isn't the most fun of FPS-games, but it beats wow. :P Cataclysm is probably the first expansion I don't see the point in PvE at all (used to be in realm-leading guilds, top #5-20 kills on Kel'thuzad, Illidan/Kil'Jaedan, LK-heroic et c).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Personally, I disagree. WoW in Cataclysm gets old faaaaaast. I can only play a week here and a week there. While the most polished, it's also the worst expansion in terms of enjoyment.

Wheras Crysis 2 has fun replay-value and good online modes. It isn't the most fun of FPS-games, but it beats wow. :P Cataclysm is probably the first expansion I don't see the point in PvE at all (used to be in realm-leading guilds, top #5-20 kills on Kel'thuzad, Illidan/Kil'Jaedan, LK-heroic et c).
    I Can't really speak to Cataclysm.... I didn't really get to play it much. But I can say that if the content is getting really old, your only playing the game, not making the most of the MultiPlayer aspect which is the people you play with. Hence why I stopped raiding hardcore a long long time ago.

But this is a different argument altogether.

[QUOTE=Master Guns;12518375]Spending 2000 dollars on a computer for World of Warcraft is honestly absurd and laughable. WoW is not demanding in any regard whatsoever in context of high end gaming, and 2000 dollars is what you pay to play a game like Crysis on max settings.

Actually I mentioned playing other DX11 games as well (Crysis 2 would be one of those) so althought I appreciate your input, read the entirety of the OP before calling me an idiot. Thanks

I'd also check Newegg's Combo Deal's, can probably reduce the price by $100 or get more for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Case, CPU, Mobo, OS all the same.

Added a CPU cooler for overclocking, MSI Twin Frozr GTX 580 because I like them, two Western Digital Caviar Black because they're longer-lasting drives, Corsair Force GT SSD because the Vertex 3's have had issues, 850W PSU so you can easily add a second gtx 580 down the road, RAM changed but that's not an issue, any 2x4GB 1600 speed will work
    850W is not enough for SLI 580 and i5-2500K OCd (assuming he will OC at some point since he's getting K model). 580s can eat way over 300W underload, EACH, and i5-2500K with decent OC will eat around 200W under load. That already comes to 800W, add in other parts and you're way past 850W not to mention the PSU won't feed exactly 850W anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    850W is not enough for SLI 580 and i5-2500K OCd (assuming he will OC at some point since he's getting K model). 580s can eat way over 300W underload, EACH, and i5-2500K with decent OC will eat around 200W under load. That already comes to 800W, add in other parts and you're way past 850W not to mention the PSU won't feed exactly 850W anyway.
    Try to be right the next time you speak out like that.
    The build will never cross 778w, and that's under 100% load. You will likely never achieve that, outside of benching every piece of hardware at once.

Likely scenario would be to reach tops 705w under load.
    That's assuming you have a 4700GHz overclock, 2 DVD+-RW, 4 s-ATA 7200rpm's, 5 USB-devices, 5 120mm fans, 2 230mm fans.

850w is perfect for SLI 580s. Easily enough, a lot of headroom. Do try to look things up.

Deleted
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...ition-review/7

1x580GTX o/c'd under load = 330 watts.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...idge-review/11

1x2500k o/c'd to 4.9 ghz = 221 watts.

Bear in mind, these are torture tests so in real world, gaming scenarios you shouldn't hit the ceiling. However with a combined load of 660+221 = 881 watts for the cpu and 2x580's alone, i'd go for a bigger PSU just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by thomolithic View Post
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...ition-review/7

1x580GTX o/c'd under load = 330 watts.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...idge-review/11

1x2500k o/c'd to 4.9 ghz = 221 watts.

Bear in mind, these are torture tests so in real world, gaming scenarios you shouldn't hit the ceiling. However with a combined load of 660+221 = 881 watts for the cpu and 2x580's alone, i'd go for a bigger PSU just to be on the safe side.
    Yea. No.
    System Power consumption in Watts
    That means that's what the entire system draws, not what the GPU draws.

You may be tempted to overclock, but unless you love fiddling around with stuff like that, overclocks are notoriously unstable and can cause the odd BSOD, even when set to safe levels.

If you have a high budget, I'd say ignore overclocked stuff and just get the best cpu, graphics, memory and motherboard money can buy.

Deleted
    Derp /10chars

Actually, nevermind all that. Where does he actually say he's going to SLI 2 cards? :P
    Last edited by mmoc18c6ab442b; 2011-08-03 at 11:14 AM.

Actually 2 gtx 580s in SLI is something that I will be looking to do in the future, just not right away. Those 2 cards alone are about $1000 so I will be waiting a couple months probably. Therefore the discussion is valid and I am curious now. Should I look for a higher watt PSU?