Thread: Power Amplifier

Power Amplifier

I am in the market for a new power amplifier or 2 power amplifiers.

http://www.planetappliance.com/ampli...0-4a-8112.aspx

is the one i am looking at(going to get 2) because i have 2 Kicker 15 solo baric subwoofers and each amplifier would power one subwoofer. I have done a ton of searching and most amplifiers run 100-500 watts and that just isnt enough since these are rated @ 1500 each. If anyone knows of any amplifiers that could do this job i would love to see them. i have a budget of around 300 dollars.

---------- Post added 2011-08-01 at 11:57 PM ----------

no suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you talking about the kicker solo barics for car audio? Are you trying to use them as a home system subwoofer? If so there is way better sounding alternatives then those. If you are talking about using them in your vehicle $300 would not be anywhere near the amount you would need for the mono amps to run those.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

yes it is in house. ive used these in the past and they sounded good, but i dont turn them up super loud

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya if you are using them in your home you do not need 3000 watts, at least 3000 true wattage. Some amps say 1500 watts and they are really like 400. My home system uses a simple 500 watt one with a 5 piece system and when it is all the way up you can not even be in the same room. I would recommend buying an actual home system though. I used to have two 15 inch subs a long time ago and they never sounded as good as my Bose acoustimass system. The lows and highs sound very good with the system and I have never been let down by Bose really, all of their stuff sounds good to me. As far as locating one, just google 3000 watt quality home amplifier and there is a lot of results, I dont see a 2 channel one though, I think you are only going to find 6 - 8 channel ones probably and some of those are probably at 2 ohms to get up to the advertised wattage, so double check the Ohm ratings and what you have to run it at to actually get the wattage you are looking for out of each channel and what your speakers can handle ohm wise. I would also not trust a amplifier that says it is 3000 watts and cost 150 dollars heh.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

i am getting one amp soon and one amp(the same) later. because its what i can afford. each speaker is wired seperatly so its no big issue. i dont want a whole new system because i have a yamaha 7.1 system with descent speakers. i am just looking for amps for the subs

I’m buying a denon 3700 receiver off Amazon and plan on having a 11.x system. Does anyone have recommended budget friendly power amps that they like?

A lot more important than wattage (particularly peak wattage) is continuous wattage and THD (total harmonic distortion). A lot of high wattage units have absolutely shit THD. When i did car audio, i learned the hard way that a good amp with ~300W continuous and maybe 500 peak is a whole lot better than garbo “1000W” amp with shit THD and maybe 180-225W continuous.