Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Every zelda game after OOT is a cookie cut? i dont think so....

am a bit perplexed and annoyed after watching the recent Zero Punctuation review of OOT for the 3DS, there was one comment where Yahtzee roughly says that since OOT every Zelda game has been using the same basic go here and collect 3 mystical objects, get the sword of awesomeness and then go to a new world to save 4+ special people and then defeat the final boss in a climatic battle.

the thing which irked me was the fact that to me, it seems that no one remembers the SNES release of Zelda, aka Link to the past, which started off the whole trend of getting 3 objects to get the sword of evil's bane, then to go and save 7 priestesses (or whatever take your pick! ) and then trample into the last boss dungeon and bludgeon him to no end where he fools you and then you face him at FULL POWER!!!!

*phew* nice to get that little rant out of the way ^^ but yeah! anyone else that share the same sentiment? or a basic case of i'm insane and most of today's gamer base's first Zelda game was for the N64?

10+ Year Old Account
    While it would be nice to have something different, I'm not complaining and why should I? The games are fun, right? oh and Majora's Mask says hi.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Sharing an archetype doesn't make games the same or even really similar. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker were wildly different from the overall gameplay of the previous games(assuming you actually went for the masks in MM). That's like saying that every Command and Conquer game is a cookie cutter of itself: Of course it is. It's the same damn franchise.

Most people will agree that OOT is the best Zelda game, while others may have a specific favorite, but almost anyone will agree that OOT is a great game. I notice the similarities between each game, but don't we always want the similarities? Don't we want it to have a new item every dungeon, and a piece of heart and a piece of the bigger puzzle etc? I can understand people getting bored, but I think the differences between every Zelda game are pretty big, while still retaining the feel of Zelda.

i think you've all misunderstood what i'm trying to say i'm not saying that i'm irked off that every zelda game is the same concept, the bit which made me "rargh" was the fact that Link to the past on the SNES gets no credit for starting the same concept you see in most of the zelda games :P, OOT is taking credit for that for some wierd reason :/ and aye, i did forget that there are some games which are their own diamonds on their own (btw wind waker also shared the same concept, collect objects to get the master sword and then save sages)

Quote Originally Posted by mangoarizona View Post
    Most people will agree that OOT is the best Zelda game
    I suppose, but I'd atleast hope A Link to the Past comes in a close second. OOT is a great game though, so I agree. You ever play ALTtP?

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    i think you've all misunderstood what i'm trying to say i'm not saying that i'm irked off that every zelda game is the same concept, the bit which made me "rargh" was the fact that Link to the past on the SNES gets no credit for starting the same concept you see in most of the zelda games :P, OOT is taking credit for that for some wierd reason :/ and aye, i did forget that there are some games which are their own diamonds on their own (btw wind waker also shared the same concept, collect objects to get the master sword and then save sages)
    I understood what you were saying, if that makes you feel better

I haven't played every Zelda game.... but I have yet to play one I didn't enjoy, and I certainly don't mind the similar structure, but it is amusing at times.

Started replaying Majoras Mask and OOT at the same time (when i get bored of one, stick in the other) and they are nothing alike. Though the items might be the same (but lets face it, what items in Zelda ARENT the same) the stories are completely different, Majoras Mask only has 4 temples and overall a totally different style AND it's the only Zelda to be a direct sequel. Plus the added content in Majoras Mask is a ton of fun. Other than the Couples Mask which you have to cheat to get, the masks are relatively easy to find.

Actually, that's been the Zelda motif since the beginning with a Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. It's usually - something, get three badges, get sword, save 7 princesses or sages or w/e, with Zelda being the 7th, fight Ganon, ??? profit.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    It doesn't matter what started the trend. What matters is what made it popular. That's why OoT gets credited. Now its falsely credited for the storyline, but that's probably because there is a whole generation of players out there that probably didn't play anything before N64. Games like zelda, which don't work on a sequence, can easily fool first time players that this is an original idea.

I loved Ocarina of Time. I finished it, with max hearts. I finished Wind Waker, and got 'most hearts'. I bought Twilight Princess and got bored. Found it just too similar to the previous versions. I'm inclined to agree with Yahtzee here.
    Oh, Zelda on the Snes was great too, but for the same reasons, I found myself bored with the Minish Cap, I didn't finish the Phantom Hourglass, and didn't even pick up Spirit Tracks.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't care about a reviewers opinion of a game you've played. Let alone Yahtzee, his utter prejudiced hatred of anything that resembles a jrpg.

Nowadays I only watch his reviews for the comedic content, I couldn't care less about his actual opinion of the game.

I hate the LoZ series, btw.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    You shouldn't care about a reviewers opinion of a game you've played. Let alone Yahtzee, his utter prejudiced hatred of anything that resembles a jrpg.

Nowadays I only watch his reviews for the comedic content, I couldn't care less about his actual opinion of the game.

I hate the LoZ series, btw.
    Yahtzee hates on EVERYTHING. It gets him more views. He even said once that when he puts out a non-hatefilled review people complain and the views go down.

That said, reviewers tend to undervalue games. Or overvalue them, if they are a part of the hype machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    Yahtzee hates on EVERYTHING. It gets him more views. He even said once that when he puts out a non-hatefilled review people complain and the views go down.

That said, reviewers tend to undervalue games. Or overvalue them, if they are a part of the hype machine.
    Well I believe he said that he personally likes shooter games but for the story mode part and not the multiplayer. Which pretty much makes him the hardest to please on our planet considering how short the normal story mode is for shooting games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MortalWombat View Post
    Well I believe he said that he personally likes shooter games but for the story mode part and not the multiplayer. Which pretty much makes him the hardest to please on our planet considering how short the normal story mode is for shooting games.
    There's story modes in FPS games? o.O O.o

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

My view on LoZ. Don't fix what's not broken. One of the most successful franchises, nothing is broken, nothing needs to be fixed.

I liked a Link to the Past and Link's Awakening the most.
    Z:OoT was worth a playthrough. Made little impression

Majoras Mask and the overall style of the temple is only 4 totally different, it's the only Zelda as a direct sequel. Majoras Mask to add additional content is a ton of fun. In addition you get a couple of cheating mask, the mask is relatively easy to find...

10+ Year Old Account
    OoT is the common denominator of all Zelda fans, which is why its so popular. Its also the first Zelda for most people, with The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past being the second and third.

They were somewhat right about Twilight Princess. As someone who did play OoT before before Twilight (and most people on this forum) Twilight Princess shard many similarities to OoT. The thing is the similarities make since if you follow the theoretical timeline of the series:

"Child" Line: SS - OoT/MM - TP
    "Adult" Line: SS - OoT - TWW/PH - ST - (LoZ/AoL) - OoS/OoA(/LA) - TMC - FS/FSA - ALttP(/LA) - (LoZ/AoL)

or one of the alternatives:

The appeal of the various Nintendo IPs is that you know what to except on a fundamental level depending on the franchise, of course all Zelda games will share certain common denominators. The only truly similar games IMO are OoT and Twilight Princess, even Majora's Mask set itself apart enough from OoT and it recyled just about everything from OoT. I do wish Nintendo developed the games according to the timeline, its cool to see the contrast between the two timelines (I like the second version of the timeline better). And like the OP said, LttP is more of a real common denominator than OoT. The review did point of some the ridiculous stance people take with OoT 3D, the game is good but it doesn't mean you have to worship it.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2011-08-01 at 02:58 AM.

Yeah. The principle of Zelda is the same for the most part, but what kind of action-adventure game doesn't follow the standard 'Go here, beat this temple/castle/dungeon/zone/etc kill the boss get some shit and move on till you get to the final boss. It's like saying if WoW suddenly changed its raiding to only be done outside instances, that's just retarded and it's fine the way it is.

The story is the same for the most part, I could see how someone could get a bit... tired of the same old, but there are games like MM that deviate from the standard. But at least in most of their games it's not always the same place and ONLY Hyrule. Yahtzee is retarded and his statement only really applies to TP.

WW and MM are really different. And each Zelda since OoT has brought something new which was good and has brought over their new stuff from their previous games, for example WW introduced a more reactive combat which TP copied AND improved upon with hidden skills and each game has fixed little things that were inconvienient and annoying like being able to slash and move to cut down grass or the iron boots being an item instead of an equipable. I mean look at Skyward Sword- no more rolling around, Link can now actually run.