Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW turns my mac 'laptop' into an grill, GFX settings suggestions?

I'm using a 2010 Macbook Pro (15 inch) and when I play WoW, my temps kick up to about 75oC and my fans run at 6000rpm and generally the thing gets hot. My hands get warm.. sticky even.. and it's not the most pleasurable of experiences after several dungeon runs.

Are there any settings in WoW related to graphics that I can change that will guarantee a drop in system usage and temps, or am I stuck with this situation because.. and I know someone is just begging to say this so I'll say it first.. laptops are not designed to play games.

I already cap at 50fps but this doesn't seem to help. I've tried changing a few settings but none seem to have a huge impact. I'd rather put up with mediocre graphics than have to keep lifting my hand off the thing to give it some cool air.

Thanks folks.

Deleted
    long story short, get a cooling pad.

Get yourself a cooling stand for the laptop, if possible.
    If not, you could choose lower graphic options all across the board, that should help.

Yea, I had the same problem, I bought a cooling pad, worked out great!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have same problem kind of. i play on 2011 macbook pro 13 inch it gets kinda loud but not hot. any settings to make the fan stfu? lol

Yea, the MacBooks aren't meant to be gamed at, really. They've solved the overheating issues somewhat on the 2011 air/pros by removing the discrete GPU completely. :P
    Sit near a window in the winter, get a coolingpad, or do what I used to do when I was forced to use a laptop as only gaming-computer; Freeze water into plastic bottles (several, so you can switch them around) and when they're solid ice, lay them down next to the computer.
    All band-aid fixes really. The problem is the airflow.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't think macbook pros have vents underneath, so a cooling pad would be mostly worthless

Its probably a CPU drain rather than anything else. The solution is to minimise the number of events occurring in game: the simplest solution is to play only 10 man raiding and disable all addons. But really laptops aren't the ideal computer for playing games. Either get a cooling rig for your laptop or invest in a desktop.

Using an air canister to clear the cooling vents of your laptop will probably help too. But generally as a laptop gets older, it'll always get worse at staying cool.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

10+ Year Old Account
    yep, whole lot of vents on that thing:

http://www.iowatechtalk.com/wp-conte...6/DSCF0430.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post

Ahahah, my bad then.
    I guess it could still be somewhat helpful... lowering temps by a degree or so, lulz.

Deleted
    Alienware laptop = game laptop

get an Alienware

10+ Year Old Account

I wanna say this now more than ever, I think the only solution is to play you mac in a freezer at a butcher shop. I think you are SOL.

---------- Post added 2011-08-03 at 10:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ico View Post

get an Alienware
    Alienware isn't the only gaming laptop out there, a toaster can play WoW.

get an Alienware
    While strictly true, there are gaming laptops that far exceed the Alienwarebrand in both performance, price and looks.
    Sager, ASUS, MSI springs to mind.

Deleted
    i don't think macbook pros have vents underneath, so a cooling pad would be mostly worthless
    do you know how a cooling pad operates?
    the essential idea is to cool the air inside the unit by either blowing air on the underside of the unit (by using fans) or dissipate heat by acting as a conductor.

I have no idea why a unit would need to have an exhaust underneath for a cooling pad to be efficient.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-08-03 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    While strictly true, there are gaming laptops that far exceed the Alienwarebrand in both performance, price and looks.
    Sager, ASUS, MSI springs to mind.
    true... but OP talks about an overpriced shiny laptop that sucks so i thought OP would like an overpriced shiny laptop that works, so alienware was the first thing that poped in my head... with the pretty colours and shiny lights and all that other good stuf

my laptop(pro book 4510s) gpu is getting to 90°C in summer, nothing unusual

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    do you know how a cooling pad operates?
    the essential idea is to cool the air inside the unit by either blowing air on the underside of the unit (by using fans) or dissipate heat by acting as a conductor.

I have no idea why a unit would need to have an exhaust underneath for a cooling pad to be efficient.
    also, I don't think I've actually seen a laptop of late with an exhaust underneath as that severely limits air flow.
    The point is that intakes get restricted as well. The more clearence, the better. Some pads also have 80-120mm fans to help direct airflow up to the heatsinks.

true... but OP talks about an overpriced shiny laptop that sucks so i thought OP would like an overpriced shiny laptop that works, so alienware was the first thing that poped in my head... with the pretty colours and shiny lights andall that other good stuf
    Good point.

I played on a MacBook Pro for years before switching to an Asus. It ran WoW great but the heat was, as others have said, unbearable at times. I ran SMC Fan Control so I could set my fan speeds and used an elevated metal lap stand. The metal stand pulled the heat away and since it was elevated off my lap or table top the hot air had a means to escape. I tried a dual fan cooling pad as well but the metal stand seemed to work best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware laptop = game laptopget an Alienware
    It might not sound as cool, but you just told people to get a Dell. For shame!If you got cash to burn, buy from Falcon Northwest. If you are thrifty and want it delivered ASAP or go to best buy even, get ASUS. There is also Lenvo and many others that are cheaper and better than the Dell gaming sub division.

---------- Post added 2011-08-03 at 02:49 PM ----------

true... but OP talks about an overpriced shiny laptop that sucks so i thought OP would like an overpriced shiny laptop that works, so alienware was the first thing that poped in my head... with the pretty colours and shiny lights and all that other good stuf
    What version of Mac book is shiny? Works is also a relative term... You told someone to get a Dell!

Well you can also lift the laptop with a Book or a cd-box. So there is some space between Laptop and table. It helped me drop 5-10C and lower fan speed. This works for Laptops who blow the air to the side. So the heat doesnt cluster all at one spot. (Using a acer i5 480m 5850 17inch)
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!