Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Just going to focus on a few of your many flawed arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Diablofan View Post

In a game of chance like Diablo 3, you're better off farming your own epics than waiting for them to crop up randomly on the auction house.

No. Against a collective of hundreds of thousands of players your chances of getting a specific rare item yourself are tiny. But good luck farming that one item for several weeks or even months while the guy next door just buys it for 9,99$ after 2 minutes of login in.

Blizzard has so many anti-hacking measures set in place, the fact that this is even an argument is beyond me. The only hacks that have ever worked on a Blizzard game made in our current generation were few in far between, but the ones that did work always led to a ban. In World of Warcraft, the most common hack seen is the fly/speed hack
    1. There is no guarantee botting will even be possible.
    2. If botting IS possible, smart botters will only bot as much as a normal person plays, and dumb botters will be banned.

And all of their awesome anti-hacking measures are completely useless against the common bot. There are bots in WoW right now. Hundreds, if not thousands of them. Chances are if I log into a battleground right now I will see at least 3 different bots, running into the enemy over and over again, making honor 24 hours a day. Even if I take the time to manually report them, sometimes it takes weeks before they get banned. And even if they do get banned, they don't give a shit, they have already made their profit and will just start on a new account.
    I'd really love to live in that magical dreamworld of yours where there won't be hackers and botters all over the place, but it's not going to happen.
    I can guarantee you there WILL be botters within a few weeks after release, and lots of them.

Section Three : Free Will, Use it.

You ACTUALLY don't have to use the currency based auction system!

I have a great idea. How about we enable cheatcodes for Diablo 3. I type in "godmode" and I will receive a level 99 character with the best items possible. Surely this wouldn't be a problem for you. You can just ignore it and don't have to use it yourself. I mean it is not like you will feel forced to use those cheats yourself, right?

Tbh, I'm not too fond of the real money AH aswell, not because of the idea itself (which could be quite nice actually) but rather i fear the massive amount of bots/account hacks, regardless of the measurements against those.

Quote Originally Posted by Temsen View Post
    Tbh, I'm not too fond of the real money AH aswell, not because of the idea itself (which could be quite nice actually) but rather i fear the massive amount of bots/account hacks, regardless of the measurements against those.
    And that's a much more reasonable position to take than most people have. :P There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel secure with your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Just going to focus on a few of your many flawed arguments.

No. Against a collective of hundreds of thousands of players your chances of getting a specific rare item yourself are tiny. But good luck farming that one item for several weeks or even months while the guy next door just buys it for 9,99$ after 2 minutes of login in.

And all of their awesome anti-hacking measures are completely useless against the common bot. There are bots in WoW right now. Hundreds, if not thousands of them. Chances are if I log into a battleground right now I will see at least 3 different bots, running into the enemy over and over again, making honor 24 hours a day. Even if I take the time to manually report them, sometimes it takes weeks before they get banned. And even if they do get banned, they don't give a shit, they have already made their profit and will just start on a new account.
    I'd really love to live in that magical dreamworld of yours where there won't be hackers and botters all over the place, but it's not going to happen.
    I can guarantee you there WILL be botters within a few weeks after release, and lots of them.

I have a great idea. How about we enable cheatcodes for Diablo 3. I type in "godmode" and I will receive a level 99 character with the best items possible. Surely this wouldn't be a problem for you. You can just ignore it and don't have to use it yourself. I mean it is not like you will feel forced to use those cheats yourself, right?

I'll respond to this in order of your replies.

First, those collective hundreds of players are just as likely to get that item as you are, yes, even the bots. You're also heavily implying that no one will use gold based auction house system, if you took time going to the diablo fans article I semi-linked, you'd realize that won't be the case.

Second, Blizzard won't release a game with an incredibly powerful auction system in it and just say "fuck it, people are good, we don't need to monitor this," No, quite the opposite actually. They'll see players posting hundreds of items every day, they'll investigate those players. Those players will be banned. Blizzard isn't as remiss as you seemingly think.

Third, that analogy is so far out of place, I feel like I shouldn't even respond to it, but for you I will. There is a difference between an instant maxed out character that is unkillable and a system that allows you to but an item that will make you slightly stronger. Hyperbole, how does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Temsen View Post
    That's quite a good point about player accounts getting hacked, no matter what there will always be scummy people, however most of those can easily be diverted with a free authentication app.
    Last edited by ilikefork1; 2011-08-03 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling and 2nd reply

I'm going to make a controversial statement about botting in D3, if it even becomes a big problem at all:

So what?

If somebody bots their way to D3's equivalent of a full TR set, and then sells that set on the AH... what don't you gain? The only thing you stand to gain is a D3-analog full TR set, or, if you don't want to spend actual cash (many people will not want to spend actual cash), nothing. In which case, nothing has changed, and the botting has not effected you or your play in any way, shape or form. Diablo is a game played either on your own or in small, tight-knit groups. There's no danger of you doing your boss rush and running into a bot mindlessly farming zombies. That's a WoW problem, but Diablo is not a giant over-world like WoW is, it's tons of tiny games in boxes, all separate from one another. Even then, if you're really worried about the game's item economy at large, no bot is going to be able to control the item economy, because the moment it does, it falls into the category of 'a stupid botter' and gets banned because its behavior has become obvious.

If you need more evidence about why hacking and such is really not going to be that big of a problem on a game of Diablo's scale (please try to remember that the scale of WoW is just absolutely immense), look no further than SC2. Ladder play is kept squeaky clean of such nonsense, and the only hacks that could work at all in the first place, are so obvious that you'd have to be retarded to use them at all.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-08-03 at 10:16 PM.

I'm more annoyed with the required internet connection for single player than the AH... maybe thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Reductio ad absurdum...I wish I could link >>

no matter what there will always be scummy people, however most of those can easily be diverted with a free authentication app.

The main reason why I made this post really was to try to stop the horrid amount of QQ'ing in the gaming community, but it seems in these times nobody is really content.
    lol arguing with the forum trolls and crybabies is alot like competing in special Olympics...
    They see the worse case scenario in every single announcement made by blizzard and nothing will prevent them from crying rivers of tears about stupid little things.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
    lol arguing with the forum trolls and crybabies is alot like competing in special Olympics...
    They see the worse case scenario in every single announcement made by blizzard and nothing will prevent them from crying rivers of tears about stupid little things.
    Which is why I quit WoW and to certain extent HoN. A bad community can really put someone off a game.

15+ Year Old Account
    This also seems well-written, but please try to keep all D3 AH-related discussion in the large thread we have going:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-of-your-money
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right