1 Problem, but many suspects...

I have been having a problem for a long time with my computer I RMA'd the entire thing (everything was replaced) and it came back with the same problem, but with a slight twist:

I used to have a problem where every time I am in a game (Fullscreen or window'd) my monitor USED TO display a black screen then a mono-colored (whichever color was most prevelent when the crash occoured: i.e. Vash'jir-->Light Blue, Org--> Brown/red etc. screen and then return to the game... This problem has evolved into a similar colored screen but now it is in vertical lines of 2 alternating colors same color criteria as above. The main problem with this is that it doesn't return to the game... It freezes the video (if on skype, I can still communicate with my friends fine.) I cannot alt-f4, alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete. The only option is to hard restart. One side piece of info, VERY RARELY (More rare than finding Nat Pagle in Hyjal) The screen will show lines but then return to gameplay. Please help me! I've heard several things. And one thing I can confirm IT IS NOT THE VIDEO CARD DRIVERS! I have installed, re installed, driver sweeper'd, safe mode'd, everything. I promise its not the drivers. I have heard that it is just a faulty video card, but i hesitate, I've heard processor is to hot and melting MoBo, And that my graphics card is too heavy and is messing up the MoBo. Somebody please help me!

General Information
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (2.8 GHz)
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 /1800
    Graphics Card: Ati Radeon HD 5870, Sapphire Vapor-x
    Power Supply: Xtremegear 800w
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    WoW Settings : Everything Max'd aside from Dx9

dxdiag output: I dont know what exactly to put here so im just gonna put this for now... If you need more from the dxdiag let me know

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6898)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6898&SUBSYS_E140174B&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1783 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1016 MB
    Shared Memory: 766 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: ASUS VH222H
    Monitor Id: ACI22F3
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dl l,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1086 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.872.0.0
    DDI Version: 11
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7/27/2011 20:01:37, 814592 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2BD8-11CF-C570-4AC1BEC2C535}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x6898
    SubSys ID: 0xE140174B
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Driver Strong Name: oem8.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_Evergreen:8.872.0.0ci\ven_1002&dev_6898
    Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
    Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
    D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
    DXVA-HD: Not Supported
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    Signature by Elyaan

15+ Year Old Account
    Free bump for being caught in the spam filter
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you've RMA'd everything and still have the same issue?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Seems odd. One thing I am curious about is why you are running WoW in DX9 even though the HD5870 supports DX11?

You mention that every item was RMA'd but were they actually replaced or repaired?

Have you run a memory test, hard drive scan, and a stress test on the system since the RMA's were returned?

Did you RMA the monitor also or just the computer tower?

Does the problem only occur while playing games or has it occurred during internet searches or watching a movie?

Deleted
    Okay, I have a similar problem that only happens occasionally and then sorts itself out and the only piece of hardware that is remotely similar in our rigs is the GPU.

If you have a different card knocking about swap that one in and see if the error occurs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    My guess is the monitor or cables for the monitor have gone to shit. I'm not sure how many options there are though if you've replaced the entire tower and still have the same/similar issue.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Seems odd. One thing I am curious about is why you are running WoW in DX9 even though the HD5870 supports DX11?

You mention that every item was RMA'd but were they actually replaced or repaired?

Have you run a memory test, hard drive scan, and a stress test on the system since the RMA's were returned?

Does the problem only occur while playing games or has it occurred during internet searches or watching a movie?
    I will answer these questions in order:
    1) Dx11 has several bugs that I dont like... well the main thing is that when I used to have the error I wouldn't be able to get out of it unless i was in Dx9 so now its pointless...

2) CyberPower PC built my PC and says that they have replaced all the parts in the computer. I dont really take their word for it.

3) I have not run a memory test, harddrive scan, or stress test (unless you count 3DMark 11, ran fine untill program crashed on physics test).

4) The monitor is fine, I use it for my PS3 as well and that runs without a hitch.

5) The problem ONLY occurs during games, I can watch movies, flash, even flash games, anything that I can run basically aside from games.

In addition to that the wierd thing about the gravity theory is that I have had my computer on its side for a while now and the error still hasn't popped up... Possible to have this lead to culprit... If you need more info again let me know.

THanks so much guys!
    Signature by Elyaan

Poke your monitor into another computer using the same cable you use with your tower, or replace the cable entirely if you can.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    At this point faulty cable or port on the monitor is the only thing coming to mind.

If your display starts to act up ONLY in WOW, delete BOTH folders in the cache dir, then reload wow.
    Some times the cache files can be corrupted and cause a flickering or locked up display while running wow.
    I have also found, on my GTX460SE, that sometimes I could not get wow to run correctly unless the computer was hard reset.
    My Armory - Tenzi

Quote Originally Posted by bobn9lvu View Post
    If your display starts to act up ONLY in WOW, delete BOTH folders in the cache dir, then reload wow.
    Some times the cache files can be corrupted and cause a flickering or locked up display while running wow.
    I have also found, on my GTX460SE, that sometimes I could not get wow to run correctly unless the computer was hard reset.
    Its not only WoW its all games... And some more information at the top when i said 4GB of RAM thats cause thats what the computer comes with... I usually use 1 stick of RAM as it seems to lessen the error... I thought that it might have been the orientation of the computer, put that 2nd stick of RAM back in and BOOM! the error is back... The problem is i cant pin the error completly on the RAM because the error has been happening with each stick of RAM individually.
    Signature by Elyaan

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoktor View Post
    Its not only WoW its all games... And some more information at the top when i said 4GB of RAM thats cause thats what the computer comes with... I usually use 1 stick of RAM as it seems to lessen the error... I thought that it might have been the orientation of the computer, put that 2nd stick of RAM back in and BOOM! the error is back... The problem is i cant pin the error completly on the RAM because the error has been happening with each stick of RAM individually.
    New information is new. You should have all sticks of memory in then run MemTest86+ and get back to us.

New information is new. You should have all sticks of memory in then run MemTest86+ and get back to us.
    okay so I am currently running MeMtest86+ what should i be recording or looking for?
    Signature by Elyaan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoktor View Post
    okay so I am currently running MeMtest86+ what should i be recording or looking for?
    Whether the test passes or not.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Big ol' red blocks will show up if there is errors. If there is errors that solves this one if not then I am suspecting the motherboard of failure but it is too early to tell at this point.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    When the system crashes is it giving you an error code?

What type of case are you using?

Is your machine in a cabinet or setting on the floor in the open?

Have you over clocked the graphics card or the CPU?

Have you tried taking the case cover and pointing a house fan at the machine to see if extra cooling helps?

Do you have a way to monitor the CPU tempter while the system is up and your gaming?

Do you have an old graphics card you can put in the machine?

Do you have another CPU that you can put your new graphics card in to test it?

Big ol' red blocks will show up if there is errors. If there is errors that solves this one if not then I am suspecting the motherboard of failure but it is too early to tell at this point.
    I ran the test for 9 hours no error at all. Could it be that my processor is too hot and is ruining the motherboard... Is there any way of chcecking

---------- Post added 2011-08-04 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shockzilla View Post
    When the system crashes is it giving you an error code?

What type of case are you using?

Is your machine in a cabinet or setting on the floor in the open?

Have you over clocked the graphics card or the CPU?

Have you tried taking the case cover and pointing a house fan at the machine to see if extra cooling helps?

Do you have a way to monitor the CPU tempter while the system is up and your gaming?

Do you have an old graphics card you can put in the machine?

Do you have another CPU that you can put your new graphics card in to test it?
    1) if errors are shown... I cant view them
    2)NZXT M59 Gaming Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Window
    3)Its on the floor of my room with plenty of room to vent
    4) Never overclocked the system
    5) No...
    6)No ... If you have one that is free let me know.
    7) possibly
    8) no...
    Signature by Elyaan

bumping...
    Signature by Elyaan