Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashalah View Post
    Honest question, why is white bread not recommended?
    Because its carbs with no "real" substance.
    You eat it, you burb, and you feel hungry again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblehearth View Post
    I Would agree with you BUT When you wonder if your going to die in the next 5 yrs from a heart attack that changes things. I don't know about you but i sure like living
    It should change matters, mostly it should change inaction in to action.

As for a bit of my own advice; to start for at least a day notate all the food you eat. With this you can determine roughly what your eating habit is like. Which in turn allows you to realise wether smaller, but more portions will work for you or wether larger, but less portions will work for you. The first being for when you eat constantly through out the day, and the later being for eating at certain moments in the day.

The reason for this is rather simple, if you eat constantly through out the day you've made your body adjust to this and as such it'll expect food at very short intervals. Making a controlled diet with a lot of smaller meals will play in the hands of this habit rather than combating it. (Which is a whole hurdle of itself, and since you're already facing several hurdles adding another one is just asking for trouble.) If you eat at set times in the day, you should stick to that. Because you do not need to start habits that don't help you, eating more meals in a day, doesn't help you.

Since you'll be looking to exercise (more), there's another really important habit you should have. Sleeping. It's a thing that a lot of people simply overlook, but if you sleep properly you'll find that you have an easier time keeping up your exercising and your diet. Go to be at say 23:00 and get out at around 7:00 (Or an hour earlier, or later. Figure out what feels good to you, ideally you want to go to bed at a time so that the next morning you'll wake out of yourself.) Start the day with a walk (30 minutes max, in my opinion.), ideally before breakfast.

Other than that, I don't really have too much significant to add that hasn't being said already.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehearth View Post
    Is p90x any good?
    No, it's not for the goal you have stated in your starting post. (Or rather, I don't think you're up to the point were you should start P90X or anything like it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashalah View Post
    Honest question, why is white bread not recommended?
    Because there's barely anything (useful) in it, even if home made.
    Last edited by mmoc66d44c450f; 2011-08-05 at 08:27 AM.

What helped me to lose 30kg's (Start making your own food):

Discard
    : Industrial sugar (sweets,drinks,sweeteners),bread,potatos,red meat,cornflakes(and those alike),common diary(eggs,cheese,milk,etc..),standard/vegetable oil,cakes and pies and no sodas.Do not use soy products.Do not eat at fast foods,restaurants,drive-by,etc...

Eat :Brown rice(instead of bread/potatos),lots of fruits,lots of vegetables(salads,mildly fried or cooked or fresh),fresh fish(not from supermarket freezed shit),200g of nuts daily,duck eggs and duck meat,rabbid meat,use virgin olive oil and if you like coconut oil.If you wana eat sweets you go and eat dried fruits like figs,plums,raisins.Wana drink some juice you go and make u a fresh fruit smoothie.Learn how to make Almond milk by urself.For every quarter spoon of salt u used during day drink 1.5L water.When you eat salads it should be only made by you with little salt and olive oile and lemon nothing else.

Training: I used training program from some youtube-r.It consisted of burst running(you start slow jogging for 3mins then you speed up for 1min then you run fast as you can for 1 min and then u repeat that 2-3 times after 1min break).For your condition it might be good to start light jogging every morning mon-saturaday.Also walk with a friend or alone for 6-8km's on afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectx View Post
    Hey bro, congrats on your decision to lose weight. To really make it work you have to be 100% committed. Not the attitude "I'd like to lose weight" but "I'm willing to do whatever it takes to lose weight".

I'm a former division I wrestler (and almost a physician), so I've had a lot of battles with the scales. Everything the above posters said is correct. Simply put: Don't eat. If you stop eating all together and just drink whatever you will probably lose roughly 5 lbs a week. Your baseline caloric intake is probably more like 3K kilocals a day. Remember ~3,500 cals (really kilocals) = a pound (not written in stone). Theres a lot of advanced weird shit you can do like binge eat a day to fuck up your metabolism followed by 2 days of fasting. But I wouldn't recommend that. You can also use drugs sibutramine, sympathomimetics, ephedrine (can still get it over the counter as Bronkaid), again if you have a Blood pressure of >130/~85 mmHG I wouldn't recommend it. Best way? well working out is great but working out also works up an appetite.

Your max caloric limit is 1000calories a day. Period. You can survive. Its cheapest just to buy energy bars. Yeah they have higher amount of saturated fat, but you can live on those. My 2 favorite Cliff protein bar (choco mint), or snickers believe it or not makes a healthy protein "marathon" bar they call it. Theres been a lot of studies done and you know people say a certain calorie of food x is better than y but according to convincing well controlled studies.... a calorie is a calorie. I can site references if needed. Stay away from carbs period. Protein takes longer to digest, you'll stay full longer.

So every day allow yourself 3 of the bar of your choice (cost you about 4 bucks a day in food). NEVER eat a whole bar. Eat half a bar every 3 hours. 6 meals in 18 hours. Its not great to eat 5 hours before you sleep but it will be fine until you get to 200lbs. Your gonna have to tough out the hunger pangs.... its tough as fuck but after a week it'll be better. Its all willpower. Sympathomimetic's curb your appetite but its not worth the increase in cardiovascular events. Most studies done on food have been flawed.... if theres one book i'd recommend it's called "good calories, bad calories". It's bibliography is 80 pages. I had a lot of high payed dietitians talk to me because of the caliber of people I was competing against. This is all congruent with what they will say. You can treat fruit like 0 calories if you want. Only drink water, no soda. Keep track of every calorie you put in you.

You got this, it's all willpower. Stick a bowl of candy by the door when you walk in your house and walk past it everyday. Never take anything out. Build up your mental game like that. Remember, gluttony is when you live to eat instead of eat to live. Don't let food control you. You got this.

I'm going to call bullcrap on you almost being a physician. Being that you just spewed out so much wrong.

Hi, college dietician major here. Carrying more weight than supposed terri-bad physician above me.

You need to eat. You have two modes, feast and famine. If you don't eat, your body then takes whatever you finally give it and turns it into fat. Fat is stored more easily, and therefore, your body can have more back-up for when you treat it like crap (aka refuse to fuel it). Split your meals into 6, generally within 3 hours of each other. You're tricking your body into disregarding the need for storing fat. I've been doing this for over seven years now, I'm a living example of how well it works.

As for staying away from carbs period....*sigh*, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Replacing your carbohydrate intake with an increase of protein is actually worse, your body can only break-down a certain amount of protein in one sitting, therefore every gram you don't process gets turned straight into fat, proven fact.

Another thing, no, you cannot treat fruit like it's 0 calories. Fructose is just as much of a bad thing in larger quantities as any refined sugar.

Do not come in here and claim you know what you're talking about if you really have no idea. By the way, wrestling diets are borderline eating disorder oriented, in fact, they are. Do not impose them upon other people with different goals.

Diets are very special for every goal, what I laid out for you are some VERY bare essentials to follow in virtually every diet.

As for exercising, it's highly dependent on you and your lifestyle. I cannot simply tell you to do a certain workout, or regimen, without knowing your lifestyle. Anyone who comes on here and tries to tell you differently is blowing smoke. If you need further help, don't be afraid to message me on here.

To lose weight is not so hard really, if u set your mind to it, its as much (or more) a mentaly thing then a physical thing. i have lost around 30kg last half a year. And i just am mad at my self why i have not done this sooner (i am 31). got a few tips for you, not going to give u much training adivce or what to eat, there are pleny of free sites that is better informed then me on those subjecs

1. Never ever go to the store hungry. You will just end up buying bad stuff
    2. If u live with someone (girlfriend, friend or parents) make sure they allso know what u need to eat and make them understand.
    3. If u work are in school etc. dont hide what u are trying to do, tell tehm upfront that you are trying to lose weight. ppl tend to be more supporting something they know then trying to make fun of the fat kid eating a salad.
    4. Use smaller plates, and dont refill. when u have eat. You will feel full in a few min. dont rush up for seconds.
    5. Have fruit and veggis at home, and some good natural nuts (unsalted), but dont over eat it
    6. Eat more often but less, never skip a good breakfast.
    7. Stop eating crap food, dont buy white pasta, white bread. get full grain things
    8. Dont lose hope if u all of a sudden dont see any results for a week or two, u will probably hit a platue at some point and the loss will take a bit more time, just keep it up. THings are happening
    9. Dont get fooled by low fat stuff, look at the decleration on the things u buy, there i a big chance they added sugar.
    10.Get out and get moving. You dont need a gym or weights, the body alone is a great tool for workout. start slow, walking, get a bicycle, get one of those boxing bags and gloves and start hitting. Never underestimate the power of some sweating=) Get a friend with you, buy a tent and get out in the wild for 2 days. It fun, it is relaxing and good way of buring fat. Just dont get yourself hurt. Take it slow and easy!

All i can say more is a big good luck, you can do it! its not so hard once you set your mind to it. it will hurt. But the pay off is so worth it!

(sry for any grammer or spelling misstakes, English is not my main language)
    Last edited by Metania; 2011-08-05 at 08:52 AM.

One of the most important rules I've found with losing weight and keeping it off is this: NO WHITE CARBS.

Carbs are obviously important but more often than not people will move to a 'healthier' diet by cutting out junk food and replacing it with healthy pasta and rice. Where they have made an important step in changing their diet, white pasta, rice and bread have been processed so much that all of the goodness (fibre, etc) has been removed and what you are left with is belly making stubborn carbs. These types of carbohydrates are laced with sugar or they are complex carbohydrates. Neither is a good thing when trying to loose weight.

Also; small steps. If you take on too much too soon you're more likely to give up. And make sure you have a treat from time to time or again you're likely to relaspe altogether.

Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure, but I believe drinking tea instead of the stuff you are usually drinking will help you gain weightloss.

Does anyone have more information on this?
    "When there is an evil justice cannot defeat, what would you do? Would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you carry out your own justice and succumb to that evil?". - Code Geass

Also, here is a link to my Döppelganger ^_^

Deleted
    Best tip I can think of next to not eat to much fat:

Have a LOT of SEX, it's a realy good workout

Deleted
    I've kind of been here, but not this grave I'm afraid. I used to be overweight as a 15-16 year old, but suddenly I started just to eat healthy things like fruit and vegitables, and absolutely no such thing as candy or that. I was manic, i thought all unhealthy food was disgusting. In a halfyear I became quite normal/thin and as I grew taller I got more thin and people thought I was a new kid at school, I changed style completely over that time. Now I have always been a gamer and I sit much at the computer.

My best advice, wich no one really seems to take to their heart when I try to help people.... You really have to WANT to loose weight, if you do really, you wont eat any unhealthy food and just eat healthy, there can never be enough melon, grapes and goodie stuff. I ate much of that, and I just kept loosing it. People should try the fruit diet Now a few years later I'm like 186 and wight around 90 kg, wich I thought is to much, but i'm quite thin/normal, all men in my "kin" are quite long and "strong" so I guess I take after their shapes lol, but I eat pretty little cause I'm quite much at the computer, either playing games or making music.

Remember... If you're young and still growing taller, you can actually just change food style and gain better weight, but If you're completely grown up, I think excersize plays the bigger part alongside food style.

Gl

As for activities, I have always said that you will do FAR FAR better if you find a specific sport, rather than, say, walking or jogging. Simply because if you do something like football ect, you'll enjoy it far more and then be far more likely to keep it up, where jogging or walking can be really boring and you may be inclined to do it less and less over time. Instead of having doing a sport or activity as a chore, make it something you look foward to and cant wait to do. Chores are dull, activities are great. Got any ideas of any sports you really want to get into? If not Im sure we can give you some great ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    I'm going to call bullcrap on you almost being a physician. Being that you just spewed out so much wrong.

Hi, college dietician major here. Carrying more weight than supposed terri-bad physician above me.

You need to eat. You have two modes, feast and famine. If you don't eat, your body then takes whatever you finally give it and turns it into fat. Fat is stored more easily, and therefore, your body can have more back-up for when you treat it like crap (aka refuse to fuel it). Split your meals into 6, generally within 3 hours of each other. You're tricking your body into disregarding the need for storing fat. I've been doing this for over seven years now, I'm a living example of how well it works.

As for staying away from carbs period....*sigh*, you really have no idea what you're talking about. Replacing your carbohydrate intake with an increase of protein is actually worse, your body can only break-down a certain amount of protein in one sitting, therefore every gram you don't process gets turned straight into fat, proven fact.

Another thing, no, you cannot treat fruit like it's 0 calories. Fructose is just as much of a bad thing in larger quantities as any refined sugar.

Do not come in here and claim you know what you're talking about if you really have no idea. By the way, wrestling diets are borderline eating disorder oriented, in fact, they are. Do not impose them upon other people with different goals.

Diets are very special for every goal, what I laid out for you are some VERY bare essentials to follow in virtually every diet.

As for exercising, it's highly dependent on you and your lifestyle. I cannot simply tell you to do a certain workout, or regimen, without knowing your lifestyle. Anyone who comes on here and tries to tell you differently is blowing smoke. If you need further help, don't be afraid to message me on here.

Sweet an undergrad is trying to teach me something about shit that has no scientific basis except studies done poorly in the mid to late 1900s. I'm not a physician yet you are right, but almost have my MD. Not that you learn a lot of dieting in medschool, infact, you learn almost 0. However, I know almost every relevant biochemical pathway there is for protein,carb,fat digestion. Saying to consume carbs if fail. Atkins had it right. Don't believe me? Harrison's principals of internal medicine... read it sometime. Best evidence based medicine shit there is. We didn't evolve with carbs (besides obvious simple sugars banana and apples). Agriculture is a recent event (yes we did evolve the ability to break down lactose after first years of life, at least a majority of europeans, rather recently, but still not convinced our body's adapted to high carb diets.

Most dietitians are full of shit because they get there info from other dietitians that get their information from poorly conducted studies. Your totally right with wrestling diets being borderline disorders. YOu are carrying 0 weight man above me. Practice what you preach. I guarantee you my BMI, BP, muscle mass would shatter you. You have no idea what the fuck your talking about or you are getting your degree at the university of phoenix.

"your body can only break-down a certain amount of protein in one sitting, therefore every gram you don't process gets turned straight into fat, proven fact....." Please show me the proof of this. I'd love to see the controls.

*to say a statement like that and try to apply it like an axiom makes you a fuckin dumbass. Period. There are first off so many variables involved. But if you consume almost all protein your gonna mostly drive it into gluconeogenesis. If you don't have a fat supply you will drive some into ketones. And it doesn't get turned "straight" into fat. In his case, if he is at a very low caloric intake, it will still be driven to gluconeogenesis and he'll draw energy from his fats via b-oxidation to fuel his energy needs. I would make the argument almost null protein would be undergoing ketone synthesis in OP case.... but what do I know I don't have a dietician as a professor, I've just read multiple textbooks on this from authors that have established themselves.
    Last edited by Projectx; 2011-08-05 at 10:11 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammellaar View Post
    I'm not sure, but I believe drinking tea instead of the stuff you are usually drinking will help you gain weightloss.

Depends on what you usually drink I reckon. If you just drink water regularly. Tea isn't likely to help much (I did read a bit somewhere sometime in a far, far away land that it supposedly helped), but if you drink a lot of soda and what-have you. Sure, tea will likely have a similar effect as water.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way to 'fix' being fat is a gastric bypass and a full body lift once it's worked it's magic and even that leaves scaring. For simply losing weight for health reasons you need to be active to get around a low metabolism and/or a life long sedentary lifestyle.

I'm 34 and 145 pounds, pretty much since I turned 14. I never watched my diet, ate nearly all junk food and things like frosting right from the tub, peanutbutter and syrup mixed together, brown sugar by the spoonfull... I got away with all that by being active as a kid and taking jobs that kept me active as an adult.

This is the word that keeps popping up and it's very important, active.

10+ Year Old Account
    diet may not be that important, but try to cut down on carbs (don´t eat noodles every day), eat some salad etc.
    as for training:
    first thing to do is get a higher basal metabolism. This is done by getting some muscles. Don´t pump yourself up or anything, but train them a little (some push ups, training with weight every other day, every exercise 3 times 12 repetitions, if it´s too easy go higher on repetitions, not weight).
    Another thing to know is: stamina sports like jogging, swimming etc are the ones that will directly eat at your body fat, but ONLY if you do them long enough.
    The body will only START to use the far reserves after about 45 min of training, so going jogging for 30 min a day, while still being healthy, is not so effective in terms of losing weight. If you can´t run/swim/whatever for so long, go walking or biking before jogging. It doesn´t have to be exhausting, but the body will activate.
    Take a nice walk for half an hour or so and then jog back.

If you do some muscle building exercises, do net be afraid when at first you gain a little weight, muscles are heavier than fat.
    In the end the winner is still the last man standing.

10+ Year Old Account
    diet may not be that important, but try to cut down on carbs (don´t eat noodles every day), eat some salad etc.
    It's not important, at all. I've had several overweight friends ask me for help and giving them dietary advice is pointless. They will just try salads and other nasty disgusting food, eat it for a while in large quantities and then just slimp back into the old routine.

It's the ammount of food Vs. activity, that is the only way to lose weight. It could be hamster pellets or fillet mignon, if you eat 3 helpings of either and don't work it off, you will just store it.

Deleted
    Best ways to lose weight ive found:
    1. get a manual job, ie shelf stacking, labour work
    2. get the calorie intake app on your phone, and when your make something to eat, or pref buy something put the calorie's in
    3. sounds stupid but sex is a great way to lose weight, im sure if you look hard enough youll find a girl who likes you for you and not the "big" guy others might see you as
    4. stay away from salt...salt is bad....very bad
    5. stay away from shit like weight watchers;
    -too expensive
    -you could buy 3 three low fat/slat/calorie meals for one of theres
    6. walk and ride a bike, jogging is ok but as ive known from my childhood, me and my friends just to laugh at bigger people jogging, and walking is alot easier aswell
    7. ditch WoW for an hour or 2 on a Wii Fit if you can one, its great fun
    8. -Deleted as it proberly doesnt work for most people-

Well thats all i got hope it helps these are my methods for losing weight.

i recommend watching "Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead." the basic diet outline of loads of fruits/veggies via juicing them is great. me and my wife have been doing those for breakfast/lunch then at dinner we eat white meat and beans/squash/carrots. I've lost about 15 pounds in a month. i also added soy milk to supplement calcium and omega 3. hope u find something that you can stick to. it really is all about your dedication to being healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Rammellaar View Post

Depends on the type of tea. Since it's mostly water, it'll obviously be better than sodas/juices. Caffeinated teas are going to have different effects than herbals (mostly because caffeine's a diuretic), and then of course, if the tea you're drinking looses your ability to move, if you catch my drift.

Stay away from sweetened ice teas, and don't add a whole bunch of cream/sugar to your tea. Also save black/green/white/ooglongs for morning and switch to herbals around lunch. Too much caffeine throughout the entire day is going to throw off your metabolism as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MFDangerDOOM View Post
    I started smoking cigarettes and I lost like 60 pounds man! IT WORKS!
    Well if you want to lose weight I have no evidence to say whether or not cigarettes work, but as far as health is concerned you're probably better off being 60 pounds over weight. All this stuff about lip o-suction, diet pills, and cigarettes helping you lose weight is bull, all of those things just leave you unhealthy after the fact. If you want to lose weight you gotta control what you eat, and exercise of mix diet and exercise. I am 10 pounds over weight and in all honesty all I do is eat when I'm hungry, I don't eat fast food other than the occasional Tim Horton's, or Subway (those are the only fast food stores near my home), and I walk from school. I do want to lose some weight so I started working out 30 minutes a day (mostly situps, push ups, and jogging). I just go outside or in my room to work out, and its not on any sort of plan, I just came up with it. Also I fast some times which may have to do with weight loss, but I don't fast to lose weight.
    Last edited by Mythodiir; 2011-08-05 at 10:46 AM.

Strong 1st post lol. Long time lurker/wow player and this is my first post...
    ANYWAY.
    OP there is a LOT of retarded advice ITT. As someone who has taken up bodybuilding and lost 110+ lbs in the past~3 years, I think I can give you more valuable advice by getting you on the right path faster than I got on it.
    -People saying diet isnt all that important are full of crap. Diet is 85%+ IMO.
    -Carbs are not the enemy people make them out to be, neither are fats. Timing is everything. More studies are showing youre better off not eating your carbs with sat fats, so if you have a steak, have it with veggies, not a baked potato.
    Also the age old myth of "no carbs after 6pm" is being swiftly debunked. see a site called leangains. The guy is all about intermittent fasting. Basically you dont eat for 16 hour periods, and workout on mostly empty stomach, and then get your calories in after that within an 8 hr window before bed. Other diets that are gaining cred in the BB world are of a similar structure. Carb back loading, paleo, the warrior diet, etc.
    -Figure out your lean body mass ( need to figure out bodyfat %), and use a calculator to determine your BMR (base metabolic rate), and your maintenance calories (thats including factors like activity level). Eat less than your maintenance level(but preferably not less than your BMR, it is said to have negative effects on your health and immune functions, etc), and you will lose weight. IDC what you eat. Theres been people that lose weight by eating nothing but crap food, but less calories than their maintenance.
    -Lift weights. It is a fantasitc way to bun calories, dfinately better than just walking, wii fit, and a whole boat-load less boring than just doing cardio on the treadmill/bike/whatever. It will also help you look better, everyone likes a little muscle definition . Before you say "I dont want to get big and bulky". Dont worry, you wont. You have to eat a caloric surplus to build quality muscle, as well as train very intensely, and specifically for hypertrophy, to get big.

Do your self a favor and educate yourself on the subject more than my bullet points here.
    Head over to bodybuilding . c o m forums, they have a nutrition secion with amazing stickies that will help you figure out how much of what kind of calories you ideally want to be consuming. They also have a bunch of great stickies in the losing fat section, that will certainly help you get on your way. I wish I would have had a lot of the knowledge i do now, when I first started. Id be even further along.
    Congrats on deciding to change your life. Be prepared, it IS a lifestyle change, but with a little dedication, its not really that hard. And trust me, the more you progress, getting compliments from friends, family, and especailly the ladies, the easier it gets to stay motivated.
    Good luck with your fitness goals in 2011.