Blizzard appeasing the Chinese government, big mistake.

So the original Pandaren had Japanese style armor and weapons, they were dressed as samurai

But the Chinese government, being petty & vindictive as usual, were outraged, because they hate the Japanese..

So what does Blizzard do? They appease the Chinese government by changing the Pandaren and making them appear Chinese, using chinese dresses and weapons..

So what does this mean? If Blizzard adds these pandas to the game, will they have to run everything concerning pandaren by the Chinese government? Does this mean, if Pandaren are a playable race that we can never have Japanese style weapons and armor in the game because if a Pandaren is dressed in Samurai looking armor the Chinese government will be offended and threaten to ban WOW in China?

What are Blizzard getting themselves into?

Deleted
    I honestly can not believe there is ANOTHER THREAD about this.

You have nothing but 4 pictures, which are freely avaliable on the sons of the storm website and you have decided to make this so it looks like they are "appeasing" someone.

Go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    those have existed for a long time

they were always like lots of asian cultures put together

Deleted
    This pretty much sums up the way this forum has went over the past week. Done with this, call me when it gets back to normal.

Let me get this straight, the fact that fictional panda people are drawing influence from Asian cultures in general, not just Japan, you have to complain?

You're aware that the chinese version is different graphically anyway right? They had to redo so many things during wrath before they were happy enough to let blizz release the game there. Of course they're going to do what they have to to be able to release content.

This thread is retarded.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    I honestly can not believe there is ANOTHER THREAD about this.

You have nothing but 4 pictures, which are freely avaliable on the sons of the storm website and you have decided to make this so it looks like they are "appeasing" someone.

Go away.
    I disagree with this post. The fact that he posted "nothing but 4 pictures" doesn't mean that those 4 pictures didn't prove his/her point in a good way... If anything, the fact that he/she noticed this is pretty interesting.
    <3
    Class: Alli Priest
    Spec: Holy/ Shadow
    Horde Alts @ 85: Mage, Lock, DK, Paladin

Wow, a lot of people missing the point i this thread..

Let me try to make it a little clearer for you..

Blizzard changed the art direction on their Pandaren because of Chinese government pressure.. What does this mean once they become a large part of the game? The Chinese will nit pick everything about the Pandaren and Blizzard will have to do what they say or risk having WOW banned in china..

I for one don't like the idea of the Chinese government influencing the game I play..

Just as the pandas aren't in Japanese attire, China is ok. Its best to not try to sell a product in a country that has offending imagery to them.

Also I'm getting a racist vibe from you. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
    So the original Pandaren had Japanese style armor and weapons, they were dressed as samurai

But the Chinese government, being petty & vindictive as usual, were outraged, because they hate the Japanese..

So what does Blizzard do? They appease the Chinese government by changing the Pandaren and making them appear Chinese, using chinese dresses and weapons..

So what does this mean? If Blizzard adds these pandas to the game, will they have to run everything concerning pandaren by the Chinese government? Does this mean, if Pandaren are a playable race that we can never have Japanese style weapons and armor in the game because if a Pandaren is dressed in Samurai looking armor the Chinese government will be offended and threaten to ban WOW in China?

What are Blizzard getting themselves into?
    It's not really China being petty and vindictive. Panda are something of a national symbol of China, they take great pride in them.

The Japanese have, on multiple occasions, invaded and brutalized China.

To put it in perspective, it would be like someone putting a bald eagle in a turban. It would create a shitstorm in America.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Vixen View Post
    I disagree with this post. The fact that he posted "nothing but 4 pictures" doesn't mean that those 4 pictures didn't prove his/her point in a good way... If anything, the fact that he/she noticed this is pretty interesting.
    Sorry, but how does 4 pictures prove anything.

What does this thread have that countless other MoP threads don't?

Why am I still here?

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
    I for one don't like the idea of the Chinese government influencing the game I play..
    China doesn't influence the game at all, not our version, here's what blizz had to do for the chinese wrath http://www.gmbase.com/bbs/Topic-B32-T5722.aspx and guess what, it didn't affect the US/EU versions at all.

You can not like it, but uh, the population of Beijing (one city) is about the population of Canada.

Blizzard has to follow the money.

Um... The Chinese have not forgotten Nanking.

I realize as a culture, America is downright as forgetful as an amnesiac (I'm American) and other Western cultures aren't that far behind. Oriental cultures tend NOT to be so short sighted. Or remembering.

They rather celebrate time and history. Nanking, while not yesterday, is something that enough remember, that it's fresh enough to mean something. Just like Hiroshima and Nagasaki are fresh enough for the Japanese that whenever a US Navy nuclear powered carrier and her accompanying nuclear powered fleet would come into a port, there would be protests. The idea of nuclear power never sat well in Japan (and we see they had reason to be concerned).

Those events affected hundreds of thousands or millions of people. They were devasting to the psyche of their respective cultures. Nanking was devastating to the psyche of the Chinese. Hiroshima and Nagasaki was devastating to the psyche of the Japanese, especially because the Emperor had to surrender.

What you're seeing is merely a ripple of a wave started in Nanking around Dec 13, 1937. It doesn't have to mean anything to you. It's not surprising that you don't understand where it came from or why this wave is disturbing your waters now.

Sometimes, the waves aren't just someone making waves. Sometimes they come from somewhere and mean something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    This pretty much sums up the way this forum has went over the past week. Done with this, call me when it gets back to normal.

This video does indeed sum up the forums as of late.

Really though OP, I'm not sure why you even bother making up such a weird story of Blizz trying to appease the Chinese Govt.

Deleted
    The armor in the first picture would require a completely new profession: Bamboo armorsmith.

The last picture has me toying with the idea of seeing a class that actually use staffs to HIT people, and not as stat-jewelry.

But they won't be playable.

The site has gone to shit in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    It's not really China being petty and vindictive. Panda are something of a national symbol of China, they take great pride in them.

The Japanese have, on multiple occasions, invaded and brutalized China.

To put it in perspective, it would be like someone putting a bald eagle in a turban. It would create a shitstorm in America.
    Ahh I get it. Makes the samurai panda look very menacing, and offensive looking at it like that.

Please don't make threads about topics that have been rehashed to absolute death over the past few days. If you really want to continue beating a dead horse, post your thoughts in one of the existing threads. We don't need new ones.

Closed.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions