Thread: Mass effect

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Yes ME1 and ME2 are amazing games. As long as you don't suffer from extreme ADHD and can sit still for more than 5 seconds I highly suggest you get both ME1 and ME2.

ME1 is an RPG in the standard sense, but combat can get annoying and aside from Shepard there isn't tons of character development. Its story is focused largely on the scope of the Galaxy and the general ME universe. Storyline isn't completely linear, but you're still funneled into main events.

ME2 has a much more focused storyline that's character-driven rather than about the environment. Combat is a big step up and easily one of the best in recent games. The storyline is very linear, but the side quests you do for your crew members to earn their trust are totally awesome and varied. There isn't much monotony, but because it's not a traditional RPG that turns away a lot of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    ME1 is an RPG in the standard sense, but combat can get annoying and aside from Shepard there isn't tons of character development. Its story is focused largely on the scope of the Galaxy and the general ME universe. Storyline isn't completely linear, but you're still funneled into main events.

ME2 has a much more focused storyline that's character-driven rather than about the environment. Combat is a big step up and easily one of the best in recent games. The storyline is very linear, but the side quests you do for your crew members to earn their trust are totally awesome and varied. There isn't much monotony, but because it's not a traditional RPG that turns away a lot of players.
    I think this is a perfect summary of both of the games and I couldn't have said it better myself.

2 words: Fuck Yes.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Not just yes, but HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS YES.

The story and RPG elements in ME1 felt stronger to me (mostly cuz i got to see the repercussions in ME2), but certain key points in ME2 were... well... an immersive movie experience. Beyond that even. Almost all the characters in both are memorable (granted, I hated a few and was happy to see them die... oops.. spoiler... but I could see how others might enjoy them)

best selling point, what other videogame has you save blue-skinned tentacle-haired alien vixens from their chastity ?

(by far the biggest hook for me though, was hearing Martin Sheen in ME2)

Deleted
    its great, havent managed to get it working on w7 yet though, although I admit I havent tried much yet. theres probably a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    its great, havent managed to get it working on w7 yet though, although I admit I havent tried much yet. theres probably a workaround.
    huh? I'm assuming by w7 you mean Window's 7. I played through both on it O.o

What's causing it to break (or I'm completely wrong and w7 means something else, in which case ignore me).

10+ Year Old Account
    Tali. that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    one of the best rpg's so far, i liked part 1 more cause it had more exploration and it felt like a longer game, part 2 was more action oriented then the whole explore the galaxy theme. but they are both great, i cant wait for ME3 my self
    I agree. I thought ME1 had a slightly better story but ME2's gameplay was significantly improved. ME1 had more RPG to it than ME2 as well. Honestly, they're both worth the price of admission right now and will a great lead in to the third when it's released next March.

Anyone heard anything about the fourth? Given the recent interview with the two doctors, it sounded like they were opening it up into a endless series. I'm sure they'd love to turn it into an mmo and not have to pay Lucas bloodmoney for rights to the IP, too.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a PC and like RPG/shooter games (ME1) and shooter/rpg games (ME2), there is no valid argument to not have a copy of both.

---------- Post added 2011-08-05 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    Tali. that is all.
    Tali is like a space Dranei without the horns (sadly), a hacker and an engineering genius. But not even Tali can beat bookworm innocent smile virgin Liara.
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

unholytestament:

Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

yes... so... awesome, i had chills when i met sovereign in ME1, the entire conversation was so epic... goosebumps everywhere :3

heh, thanks for the answers!!, playing ME1 right now, with the planets and the robots... I just met a girl and a mad doctor. :O

Quote Originally Posted by Dannz View Post
    unholytestament:

Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

yes... so... awesome, i had chills when i met sovereign in ME1, the entire conversation was so epic... goosebumps everywhere :3
    Gonna agree completely.

The conversation with Harbinger in Arrival was epic as well:

"Shepard, you have become an annoyance. You fight against inevitability. Dust struggling against cosmic wind."

LOL. Owned.

Get them, but be prepared to be thoroughly disappointed with the story. Gameplay was great, and the characters are amazing, but the overarching story was ... bad, to say the least. It was presented nicely, but the story itself is incredibly weak.

On that note, ME2 gets points for being the longest sidequest ever.

Quote Originally Posted by OutragedFormula View Post
    Get them, but be prepared to be thoroughly disappointed with the story. Gameplay was great, and the characters are amazing, but the overarching story was ... bad, to say the least. It was presented nicely, but the story itself is incredibly weak.

On that note, ME2 gets points for being the longest sidequest ever.
    I just can't agree with you one bit. You sound like a guy who once said this about ME2:

"The story sucked".... "I skipped, like, all the conversations - BOOORING"

...wut

Quote Originally Posted by Warod View Post
    Tali is like a space Dranei without the horns (sadly), a hacker and an engineering genius. But not even Tali can beat bookworm innocent smile virgin Liara.
    I hate Liara. I wish I could have left her instead of Kaiden on Virmire.

Her character improved drastically (for me, anyway) in ME2 after she goes all angsty-evil-super-bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    I just can't agree with you one bit. You sound like a guy who once said this about ME2:

"The story sucked".... "I skipped, like, all the conversations - BOOORING"

...wut
    I loved the characters and the individual stories that make up the crew of the Normandy. That saved both games for me. (SPOILERS, I guess.) I'm STILL stinging from pissing off Miranda. Just, the Collectors were felt like an epic sidequest. The real threat disappears for an entire game, apparently dicking about in the outermost regions of space.

...*looks at Miranda* ... *feels bad*
    Last edited by OutragedFormula; 2011-08-06 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Spoiler Alert ... I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by OutragedFormula View Post
    I loved the characters and the individual stories that make up the crew of the Normandy. That saved both games for me. (SPOILERS, I guess.) I'm STILL stinging from pissing off Miranda. Just, the Collectors were felt like an epic sidequest. The real threat disappears for an entire game, apparently dicking about in the outermost regions of space.

...*looks at Miranda* ... *feels bad*
    *spoilers*

But the collectors were drones controlled by the collector general which in turn is being manipulated by Harbinger intended to stop Shepard since he is the Reapers main issue. Since the Reapers could not physically come through yet, they had to use other means of fucking up Shepard so he could not alter their return. The only way possible was through the Collectors because they are drone like, powerful, plentiful, and also, as it turns out, kills things anyways. Win win win win for Reapers. Hardly a side quest.

I perfer 2 but they are both good games. Lets hope Bioware doesn't screw it up.