Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Windows XP SP3 No Internet. Fix?

So I installed a fresh copy of windows pro which already included windows SP3 and with that came the no internet bug. Iv been searching all over for a fix but nothing seems to work for my problem. As the update came directly with the OS I cant just revert back to SP2.

I need get internet running so I can install Windows 7. This problem has been known for a long time so does someone know an easy fix to this problem?

Deleted
    I have never heard of a Windows XP install that included SP3 directly. Further, why do you need XP installed to install Windows 7?

Edit: a quick google gave me this: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-2...-xp-sp3-update might help.

Deleted
    Thats because they include it in pirated versions :/ And it isnt a topic thats allowed to be discussed here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Thats because they include it in pirated versions :/ And it isnt a topic thats allowed to be discussed here.
    Then he basically has his answer right there: go get a legal copy.

Make sure you've put your motherboard CD in and installed all the drivers possible from it.

XP was notorious for not having Ethernet drivers and such, and as a result didn't always run the Internet straight off a fresh installation. This is even more prevalent with newer kit as XP is an old OS and therefore doesn't always have the drivers needed to run modern hardware out of the box.
    -Cazic, 85 Death Knight, Draenor-EU
    -Chaosweaver, 85 Warlock, Draenor-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not illegal to slipstream service packs.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    Why do you need the net to install W7?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is not illegal to incorporate Windows updates into your own personal version of Windows, just saves time in the long run.

As for the OP and his "Windows XP bug" it is not a bug you haven't installed the motherboard drivers for your computer. Install the motherboard drivers and you're set and ready to go. As for needing Windows XP before you install Windows 7 you can't do an upgrade install from XP to 7 only from Vista to 7 so you have to do a fresh install of Windows 7.

Deleted
    Thats because they include it in pirated versions :
    Not necessarily.

Microsoft has their own installer image that includes SP3.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-08-07 at 03:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerLCD View Post
    So I installed a fresh copy of windows pro which already included windows SP3 and with that came the no internet bug. Iv been searching all over for a fix but nothing seems to work for my problem. As the update came directly with the OS I cant just revert back to SP2.

I need get internet running so I can install Windows 7. This problem has been known for a long time so does someone know an easy fix to this problem?
    If you have a copy of Windows 7 why are you pissing around with XP? The Win 7 upgrade has everything you need to do a fresh install if you do a little research.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    If you have a copy of Windows 7 why are you pissing around with XP? The Win 7 upgrade has everything you need to do a fresh install if you do a little research.
    The upgrade license is not valid unless a previous version of Windows has successfully authenticated with Microsoft on that machine. My guess is thats what hes trying to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    The upgrade license is not valid unless a previous version of Windows has successfully authenticated with Microsoft on that machine. My guess is thats what hes trying to do.
    Actually you can use the upgrade license on a fresh install.. I just did it yesterday :P
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Actually you can use the upgrade license on a fresh install.. I just did it yesterday :P
    Authenticated on a brand new machine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Authenticated on a brand new machine?
    Yup with a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional x64. It had XP on the old HDD but it died so I put in a new HDD and installed Windows 7 fresh then used the upgrade key I bought to activate the clean install. There was no pre-existing OS on the new hard drive and I used a Windows 7 Install Disk(Not upgrade disk) to format the new hard drive.

The upgrade product keys don't care whether there's a pre-existing operating system or not because they're simply OEM/retail keys just like the ones you buy for full retail or full OEM installations. The difference comes down to the software that is provided which without modding can only be used to upgrade pre-existing Windows Operating Systems.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-08-07 at 08:35 PM.

Deleted
    It had XP on the old HDD but it died
    You managed to miss the point. Your machine was already registered with a previous key, thus the upgrade license is valid for you.

You cannot authenticate online with microsoft if there is no key registered to your machine.
    The upgrade product keys don't care whether there's a pre-existing operating system or not because they're simply OEM/retail keys just like the ones you buy for full retail or full OEM installations. The difference comes down to the software that is provided which without modding can only be used to upgrade pre-existing Windows Operating Systems.
    False. The key cannot be used for online validation without the machine previously having been validated online. The local installation can be done without even entering a key to begin with.

The installer itself does not vary between retail and upgrade - its the same image which can be used both for clean and upgrade installations.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-08-07 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You managed to miss the point. Your machine was already registered with a previous key, thus the upgrade license is valid for you.

You cannot authenticate online with microsoft if there is no key registered to your machine.

False. The key cannot be used for online validation without the machine previously having been validated online.

The installer itself does not vary between retail and upgrade - its the same image, and either image can be used for both.
    No, the PC wasn't registered with a previous key... It would have been if I kept the old HDD in the PC and upgraded it. There is no previous key if there is no Windows Install. I did authenticate online, and it did activate. I even asked the guy on the phone from the Microsoft Store when I called to receive the key and he validated that I could.

There is no "validation of previous keys" when you activate the key because it doesn't check for that, proof is in how I changed out the HDD with the prior OS, but was still able to activate the NEW operation system.

The same concept applies when someone modifies the files from the Upgrade Disk into being an install disk.. You can do a clean install and wipe the prior OS completely with even a low level wipe and still activate it regardless of whether it had a prior OS or not.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-08-07 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    No, the PC wasn't registered with a previous key...
    You just said you had another hard drive with XP on it. Did you swap out the rest of the machine (Motherboard?) as well?
    The same concept applies when someone modifies the files from the Upgrade Disk into being an install disk.. You can do a clean install and wipe the prior OS completely with even a low level wipe and still activate it regardless of whether it had a prior OS or not.
    Have you actually tried using an upgrade CD for clean installs? It works just fine with the one I have at hand.

The licence on it however does -not- authenticate online on clean machines. To remedy that issue, I have to install Windows XP on it. Heres where the fun part begins.

I can do this after I install Windows 7, and I can do this on a separate hard drive while Windows 7 is disconnected. Pop in XP, install it, input its licence key, start Windows update - then shut down the machine and remove the drive.

Now resume to Windows 7 (with the XP drive removed) and try to validate. Bam, prevoiusly invalidated key is now valid - because the machine is registered at Microsoft's Licence key database with a Windows XP licence.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-08-07 at 08:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just said you had another hard drive with XP on it. Did you swap out the rest of the machine (Motherboard?) as well?
    I also said it died and I removed it or did you decide to skip that part? The motherboard requires the prior HDD to validate the key with Microsoft so once the HDD is gone the motherboard is free to be used with any other key because the Install on the HDD is what ties to the motherboard. Thus, removing the HDD with the prior OS makes the PC as if it was brand new and never had an OS simply because everything tying to the motherboard is on the HDD which can no longer be validated with Microsoft. The end result as I said is a PC that is as if it never had an operating system so any fresh install of an OS does not draw upon the old install simply because.. IT CAN'T.

It's how people bought upgrade disks then ripped the image, modified it and used it to do a fresh install on new PC's and activating said fresh install with the upgrade product key. There is no differing factors between an upgrade product key versus a full install retail/oem product key. The difference comes down to the media that is provided.

I've used:
    http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx

On many new PC's without prior OS's and did a FRESH install then activated with the upgrade key. You're arguing with someone who's done this a lot lol

---------- Post added 2011-08-07 at 09:00 PM ----------

Now resume to Windows 7 (with the XP drive removed) and try to validate. Bam, prevoiusly invalidated key is now valid - because the machine is registered at Microsoft's Licence key database with a Windows XP licence.
    I removed the XP drive before I installed and never reinstalled it... Instead I took a sledge hammer and an electro magnet to it and made it unreadable. The XP drive was never in the PC with the Windows 7 Install... How hard is that to comprehend? It was as if the PC was brand new and never had an OS because it had a brand new HDD replacement.

Here you are, a definition for your small brain.

Replacement - The act or process of replacing or of being replaced; substitution.

Going by that definition... I replaced the DEAD hard drive(aka substituting and removing it) with a new uninitialized hard drive. Then proceeded to installed Windows 7 with the DEAD hard drive OUT of the PC. After it was done installing I activated Windows 7 with the DEAD hard drive STILL OUT OF THE PC and it validated fine. I've done this on maybe 10-12 PC's now and no issues. It was a clean install with no prior operating system.

I even did it on my HTPC when the motherboard died and I had to replace it with an AMD 890GX. Fresh Motherboard with a fresh HDD and a Fresh/Clean Install of Windows 7 validated using an Upgrade Product Key. I didn't have to fuck around with the process you decided to take.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-08-07 at 09:08 PM.

I have installed a fresh complete copy of Windows 7 Upgrade on a new hard drive with nothing ever on it before. I have also installed Windows 7 using the upgrade disk on a machine I just deleted all the partitions on.

One of the Windows Gurus (Paul Thurott) I follow online posted a guide almost a full year ago on how to do it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    I have installed a fresh complete copy of Windows 7 Upgrade on a new hard drive with nothing ever on it before. I have also installed Windows 7 using the upgrade disk on a machine I just deleted all the partitions on.

One of the Windows Gurus (Paul Thurott) I follow online posted a guide almost a full year ago on how to do it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media
    Haha I was trying to find that link... thanks for posting it!