need urgent help

hi guys,

i'm having a bit of an issue with a new graphics card i bought. I install it manually and make sure everything is firmly in place all connections are nice and secure, but as soon as i turn my computer on i get nothing. At first i thought it was a power issue and my system didn't have enough power to run it but i have since installed a more powerful power supply and still nothing, yet when i put my old card in voila i have a screen but with the new one nothing????

Do i have to uninstall my "old card" first for the new one to work or should it recogonise it anyway and boot up as normal meaning i have a faulty card???

any help would be nice ty guys

Deleted
    Have you hooked up the 6 or 6+2 pin power connector to the graphics card? Higher end models require aditional power to run.

it's not a super high end model it's an ASUS EAH5450

Sounds like a faulty card to me, assuming you have it hooked up correctly.
    The graphics card can function to a certain degree without drivers... you can use the bios and install windows and get logged in... running anything like a directx game would be impossible though lol.
    I had a faulty 6850 from HIS when I built my system a few months ago... did the exact same thing that you're describing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Montagne View Post
    it's not a super high end model it's an ASUS EAH5450
    That one indeed requires no aditional PSU connection.

well after talking to some idiot at the tech help desk it turns out my new card is erm how do i put this????? F**KED!!!!

will be returned to the shop tomorrow and a bit of compensation is needed me thinks so might get a better card

Well the 5450 is a pretty awful card anyways lol. Maybe you can get a refund and upgrade? xD
    If you plan on gaming with your computer, you should get a 5770 or 6770 at the bare minimum.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You would be perfectly fine playing WoW with an HD6500, HD6600, or HD6700 series video card. The HD5450 is last years model. Price should be close between the HD5450 and the 6570, maybe $20 difference. DOA cards are nothing out of the ordinary though.

Quote Originally Posted by Montagne View Post
    well after talking to some idiot at the tech help desk it turns out my new card is erm how do i put this????? F**KED!!!!

will be returned to the shop tomorrow and a bit of compensation is needed me thinks so might get a better card
    It's called DOA
    I had the same problem when I ordered 2 cards (one for me and one for my wife) a couple years ago and one came in DOA. Bought another one to get it shipped immediately while I was returning the faulty one.

It happens