Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think SW:TOR will be more socially accepted than WoW?

I'm curious about this, since alot of people think "fat geek sitting in front of computer 24/7" when they hear that someone is playing WoW. I actually think this will not be the case with sw:tor, just because it's star wars, the movies are really popular.
    What do you think?

Deleted
    Starwars has also allways been acociated with geeks , instead of 'fat geek sitting in front of computer 24/7" they'll think 'fat geek dressed in a stormtrooper suit with plastic lightsaber sitting in front of computer 24/7"
    not sure which is beter ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bubalus View Post
    Starwars has also allways been acociated with geeks , instead of 'fat geek sitting in front of computer 24/7" they'll think 'fat geek dressed in a stormtrooper suit with plastic lightsaber sitting in front of computer 24/7"
    not sure which is beter ....
    Plastic lightsabers are fantastic

Gaming will always be seen by most people as a "geek" hobby until you actually start making money off it. This is why I support Diablo 3's AH. Until the day when most gamers can make a profit and even a living off games, it will never be socially accepted because society is living in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    'Hardcore' raiders remind me of my two-year-old. "Yes, I put it down and I'm not playing with it anymore, but YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT MINE MINE MINE MINE!"

Yep, they'll only add plastic lightsabers.

Deleted
    Star Wars alone is associated with just what you said.

Star Wars in MMO form? haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sharko55 View Post
    Plastic lightsabers are fantastic
    Indeed.

On topic: it'll probably be more socially acceptable than WoW, at least for a little while, due to lack of name recognition among the non-gaming community. WoW is recognized as "the MMO" by people who don't play MMOs. If you say you play DDO or Rift or Aion or something, I'd bet the majority of non-gamers will have no idea what you're talking about. SWTOR just won't have the "world's biggest MMO" stigma attached to it, at least not to start out.
    Thank you dubbelbasse for the excellent sig!

Deleted
    Same social stigma i am afraid, just with crap Jar-jar jokes rather than jokes about goblins.

My answer is no. In fact, I think the stigma will be even worse because of Star Wars fanatics out there..

Who cares what idiots think anyway.

Deleted
    Well gaming in general is already A LOT MORE socially accepted than it was 10 years ago, almost every young person with a smartphone have games on it, even if they wouldnt consider themselves gamers.
    But I dont think SWTOR will get any special nongeeky status..

Deleted
    Video games doesn't have the same bad rep that it used to.

If we're talking american high school clique terms here (though I'm not american, note that), then I'm pretty much a jock. I was in atleast three different types of PE classes (gym, team sports and cardio related) throughout high school and I played for one of the school teams. We qualified for regionals (yey).

At the same time, I'm a hardcore gamer (don't read that as hardcore RAIDER, I just mean I play games a lot). Raised by my SNES and N64, I've played WoW since the start and I routinely play most new games that seem interesting.

My two biggest interests are sports, mainly football (the real, european kind. Not rugby in armor) and video games.

I'm a jock-geek. Hooray.

Anyway, during high school (or our equivalent of it) I was a cool guy, despite being completely open with being a gamer. And I had a girlfriend that was in the "cool clique" aswell (it's hard to use the term because we didn't exactly have cliques. But if I had to estimate it). Things aren't what we see in the american high school movies of the 90's and early 2000's.

Gaming is a lot more socially acceptable.

Deleted
    Im gonna say no, i think star wars would be seen as MUCH geeker than wow. But really if you enyoj the game who cares what other ppl think. I've been bashed for quite a while for playing wow and i dont give two shit what they think

quite the contrary I presume

People who have a problem 'socially accepting' those into sci-fi/fantasy culture will still have a problem.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    So you dont think Star Wars fans is thought of as any different? :P

Star Wars fans has since the dawn of the Star Wars franchise been stereotyped as "fat geeks living in mums basement" kind of people, however untrue it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Musky View Post
    Well gaming in general is already A LOT MORE socially accepted than it was 10 years ago, almost every young person with a smartphone have games on it, even if they wouldnt consider themselves gamers.
    But I dont think SWTOR will get any special nongeeky status..
    Indeed, this is pretty sick, a friend of mine even downloaded a mmo game to his phone. And everyone else at my school do also got loads of games on their smartphones. Feels like noone are using them to browse internet or check their mail.

Personally I don't care what is socially accepted. Anyone outside of my monkey sphere doesn't even ping on my radar. Most people within said sphere play games and like star wars.

To generally answer your question thinking as if I was not me: No. A video game is video game to those who don't play them. The title won't change a thing.

Deleted
    I think South park harmed the view of MMO players more than anything else, even though it was an awesome episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Exera View Post
    So you dont think Star Wars fans is thought of as any different? :P

Star Wars fans has since the dawn of the Star Wars franchise been stereotyped as "fat geeks living in mums basement" kind of people, however untrue it is.
    Yea, I guess i didnät think this through before I made this thread , guess I just thought so since star wars is so big and a lot of people watched the movies.
    As in I think that if there ever will be a WoW movie, I think some people will not watch it, just because it's wow-related, I however would watch it regardless if I still play wow or not, since I think it would be epic.